A better burial method?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chip NoVaMac, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Link: http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/st...0040926/0447292604.htm&photoid=20040820SJU101

I saw this and was moved to consider the possibility. Because of my love of nature and the ocean, I had contemplated be cremated and my ashes spread half at dawn on the East Coast beaches (Cape Cod is my choice) and a year later the other half over the Pacific at sunset on the rocky coast of CA. I know, I am spreading myself thin there. :D

I just don't want some grave site or something similar that friends and family feel compelled to visit and leave flowers. This sounds like a great idea, and it helps the environment.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Mixed into concrete... That's my idea of an eternal resting place alright :p

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's actually a great idea....

I had to chuckle when reading about the pet reef balls....a cat's ashes part of a reef with all those fish.....:D

D

4. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

LOL... talk about Karma....

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    id like to be cremated ill let my family decide what to do with the rest of me

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm donating my body to science.

If someone still wants to touch my old wrinkley body, even if it's after death, then score!

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. kaylie_kipe macrumors member

Interesting

That's an interesting way to be buried. Well, it helps the enviroment and that's always good. The cat joke was good. :)

9. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Conventional burial is over-rated (IMO). Why pay someone thousands of dollars so they can put you in an expensive box?

I wouldn't mind my body being dumped in a beautiful forrest and letting nature take care of things. Just recycle me back into the earth. Natural, peaceful, and FREE! :cool:

10. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Just dump me in the trash. I'll be gone, so I don't care. Oh, and have a raucous party in my honor. :D

11. sethypoo macrumors 68000

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I read about this... It's interesting, and it's good that it's expanding people's horizons about remains. Personally, I think it's a bit too much for me... After discovering that I can't be legally buried without a vault and casket, I've drawn up the paperwork to be cremated in a cardboard box (they want you to buy a casket to be cremated in! they insist you be in something... :rolleyes: ) unembalmed (thank Jewish and Muslim teachings for keeping this legal) and if people want to do stuff with my ashes afterwards, more power to 'em... I won't be leaching chemicals into the earth, or dryrotting for 50 years in a sealed box, so that's all I care about... If someone really wanted to help the reefs, they could just donate that $5000 to one of the organizations, it would probably buy a lot more reef, it just wouldn't include that cremains touch.

That said, with my obsession with cemeteries, I would *love* to scuba dive this.

paul

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Take one of them ancient tiBooks, hollow it out and dump my ashes into that thing...

Oh, but please seal up the optical slot first. :D

Maybe someone will oneday be able to connect the tiBook I inhabit to some power, and I will appear on the screen.

However, I plan on living forever. So far.....so good.

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I personally will be stipulating in my will that I am to be stuffed and kept in the living room of my least-favorite child...but to each his own, I guess...

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife and I have thought about cremation. That is definitely a useful disposition of the ashes. Wouldn't want to end up in New Jersey. Actually haven't really thought of a place.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So wait, you NEED to buy a casket when you die? What if you're cremated and put into a bottle? Why the casket? What if I donate my body to science? Seems kind of superfluous to get a casket as well.

17. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

18. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

19. makisushi macrumors 6502

Well, I am one for a traditonal buriel...I already have a plot.

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Funeral homes will pressure families to get caskets for the viewing, which are then burned with the body. So yeah, in most cases Aunt Mildred's ashes on the mantel also contain oak and varnish and silk... It's all so pointless. But the deathcare industry, like the wedding industry, have gone premium. I think there may be a law that bodies must be in containers when they enter an oven, but they have great big cardboard boxes (usually these are used for the poor, but you can request them in advance if you don't want your loved ones being stuck with a huge guilt-bill).

If you donate your body to science, the university or institution will pick up the corpse from the morgue or funeral home. If you have a viewing, you'll need to buy a casket, which will, I think, be thrown away. I know they can't be reused by law. But if you don't have a viewing, you don't have to worry about it. Of course you can still have a memorial service with no corpse present...

paul

21. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Ashes? Burial? Bah to all that!

I plan to be preserved after I die until they are able to regenerate issue or transplant my brain completely intact! Thus I will resurrect, and RULE THE WORLD! MWAHAHAHA... *cough* just resurrecting will be fine, though. :)

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You can pay to have your remains put in container frozen with liquid nitrogen. You might even be fortunate enough to be in a container next to Ted Williams. :D

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2003/08/12/williams_si/

23. emw macrumors G4

emw

I am a little torn. As someone who has enjoyed a trip to the cemetery for a little history lesson, I'd miss taking part in something like that. Sure, now there are many more ways for relative unknowns such as myself to leave a mark that the world can find at a later time, but there's something about a headstone.

Of course now they have online memorials - just hope their server doesn't crash...