A better (free) PDF handling programme than Preview?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FleurDuMal, Jan 24, 2007.

1. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    Hello all,

Is there any programme out there that handles PDF files better than Preview? Specifically, as I'm reading academic articles all day every day, I'm looking for something that'll let me highlight text on the PDF and, as a bonus, let me add notes. If so, it means I'll never have to print anything again :D

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
  3. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Oct 28, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you're affiliated with a university, they might have a volume license for Adobe Acrobat. Have you taken a look for it?

I'm not a fan of Acrobat (slow and clunky, I think) and I'd rather print the papers out to highlight and write notes on them, but I was able to get a copy of the program from my school for free.
  4. albertop9 macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2008
  5. HLdan macrumors 603

Aug 22, 2007
    It's sort of an old thread but at any rate, Preview (in Leopard) does exactly what the OP was asking for, I'm not sure why people are recommending other options.
  6. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Jan 13, 2008
    Maybe he's still using Tiger? I don't remember if the Preview in Tiger did any of that. I don't know. But yeah, Preview in Leopard now does all of that. It's great for PDF's. I'll second Skim for anyone still on Tiger, though. It's very good, and much faster than Acrobat, and I used it back on Tiger. But if you have Leopard, really no point. Preview is perfect for the job.