Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
I for one am certainly not paying £300 AND a £40 per month contract, no matter how much I adore it.

Apple just p***es on the UK. :mad:

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I for one am certainly not paying £300 AND a £40 per month contract, no matter how much I adore it.

Apple just p***es on the UK. :mad:

I agree. However, even in the states though the phone originally was $599+sales tax and a $60-100 (+sales tax?) a month contract. The estimated UK pricing above is a little more but not that inflated imo.

I'd pay, but I'd still think twice. It's luxury product pricing for sure.

smurfy

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
Same here i'm so so bored to wait and browse reviews, videos,...even going to that store in London where they have one for demo...one of the employee of that store told me Apple will not launch the iphone to the UK until jan 2008 !!!WTF ???!!! I hope he talked cr@p

What store???

Also, even if that guy did know when the iPhone would be released in the UK (Can you imagine Steve Jobs coming into the store and saying 'hey guys guess what the iPhone is coming out in January OLOLLOLLOL') he is contractually bound not to tell anybody.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
What store do they have one?????? is it on display of is it of an employee??

Sorry if someone has already answered this.

I believe it is the Regent Street store they were referring to. I can confirm that I spoke with an employee of Regent Street who showed me an iPhone (and ironically the iPhone NOT working on some speaker docks we were stood next to). It looks amazing, I was very shocked that the person took the iPhone out and showed me. They wouldn't give me any more details about when and where it would come out, just said that the unit they had wasn't connected to a phone network and only confirmed what rumours were saying about O2 looking the favourite and T-Mobile in one of the European countries.

I've been a long time O2 customer and have quite a nice contract from them for minutes and texts, not so much Internet! It was costing me so much on Internet that I've barred all Internet traffic to and from my phone to forcibly stop me form using it!! Unfortunately O2 are not in my good books as of late. They are messing me around something stupid with paying my bills correctly, and when I sent my phone in to be repaired, they lost it, didn't tell me and kept me waiting, then they lost my proof of postage receipts...

...I'm 'this' close to leaving O2, but the iPhone keeps me hanging on...it better come soon!!

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
What store???

Also, even if that guy did know when the iPhone would be released in the UK (Can you imagine Steve Jobs coming into the store and saying 'hey guys guess what the iPhone is coming out in January OLOLLOLLOL') he is contractually bound not to tell anybody.

My guess is December.

ibanana

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
already answered page 3 !

What store???

it's in the city, just in front of liverpool street station, they have one, you can "play" with it, employee are cool.

map here

ibanana

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
Sorry if someone has already answered this.

I believe it is the Regent Street store they were referring to.

nop, i'm back from the regent street store, no one have one :(

however as i said earlier, this store have one, they even take your name and will call you once they will know the release date + when stock arrive !

it's in the city, just in front of liverpool street station, they have one, you can "play" with it, employee are cool.

map here

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
3 things

1) O2 contracts - the change to Non geographic numbers - you might be able to get out of the contract, and rejoin when the iPhone on O2 comes out/use a different provider
2) They're holding events on the 25/26th. Changes by O2 in their data plan, broadband being brought in. Highly indicative, and previously mentioned.
3) unlocking. Buy the iPhone, change provider. There's giong to be a demo this Monday, so watch engadget etc to see the results. Using wifi will be faster than most other networks anyhow.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Apple have book BBC HQ in London near to the end of the month. I'll expect it will be a UK announcement regarding the iPhone, or some are speculating the announcement of the new Logic Pro replacement. Latter I doubt yet as speaking to some who have used it say it is nowhere near ready and a huge question mark over the new UI, looked like Final Cut last time I saw it.

O2 staff (guessing local O2 stores etc) also have booked three days at the end of the month at a Apple training centre in Birmingham. :rolleyes:

iPhone will have to have the ability to be unlocked in the UK. Platform will also need to be open to developers in the EU under some EU law.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
double bill? More on Leopard, an updated Touch, and 3G UK iPhone.... it's a nice dream!

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Or the California-streamed announcement of when Leopard will ship in October? Seem to recall they announced the Tiger ship date about 4 weeks ahead. Fingers crossed though for the phone...

This seems realistic.

Just wish they'd give us some solid indication! At this stage I don't mind not having 3G (at the risk of angering a lot of you!!) Making the platform more open to developers and having a good price deal on it are more important to me, as well as getting it some time this side of the century!

RossoA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2007
Horsham, UK
This seems realistic.

Just wish they'd give us some solid indication! At this stage I don't mind not having 3G (at the risk of angering a lot of you!!) Making the platform more open to developers and having a good price deal on it are more important to me, as well as getting it some time this side of the century!

We will only know at the end of the month. Right now, I think everyone who has ever heard of the iPhone is and has been hyping about it since January, and that's what Apple wants. It seems with every awesome product they keep the UK at arms length and say we can look, but not touch. So when the product finally makes it out of Cupertino, everyone buys it no matter what the cost or difficulty getting it.

I for one have to pay £240 to get out of my Vodafone contract 6 months early, but I'm gonna do it, because that's the sacrifice you have to make being a fanboy.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
We will only know at the end of the month. Right now, I think everyone who has ever heard of the iPhone is and has been hyping about it since January, and that's what Apple wants. It seems with every awesome product they keep the UK at arms length and say we can look, but not touch. So when the product finally makes it out of Cupertino, everyone buys it no matter what the cost or difficulty getting it.

I for one have to pay £240 to get out of my Vodafone contract 6 months early, but I'm gonna do it, because that's the sacrifice you have to make being a fanboy.

Ouch :(

kwfl

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
is it gonna be locked?

O2 does not lock its phones, i liked that about O2 and also lots of free minutes. i dont know why many people dont stand it.

RossoA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2007
Horsham, UK
is it gonna be locked?

O2 does not lock its phones, i liked that about O2 and also lots of free minutes. i dont know why many people dont stand it.

I've noticed that. Since I broke my Vodafone exclusive phone I've been having to use my mother's old one that was 'locked' into an O2 contract but yet I can use it fine with my Skodafone SIM. This might just be because the contract is finished, but either way, I think Apple will make sure it's locked, other wise it would be pointless getting an exclusive deal with O2...

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
Check it:
picture1qi1.png

Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.