Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
I might have missed something here, and if I have I apologize for how daft and stupid this question may sound, but how come everyone seems so dam sure something will be announced at the end of the month??

RossoA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2007
Horsham, UK
I might have missed something here, and if I have I apologize for how daft and stupid this question may sound, but how come everyone seems so dam sure something will be announced at the end of the month??

We're not sure, but the Apple Expo in France seems like the perfect place, plus Orange (the provider for France) will be there on the first day..coincidence?

In short, we HOPE there will be an announcement at the end of the month!

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
Expensive contracts are used to subsidies the phone you get free, but since we're paying for the iPhone I think asking for anything over £30 a month is outrageous. I currently pay £19 a month for 500 SMS and 300 mins off peak. The only thing I need added to this is unlimited data, which I would be willing to pay around £5-7 a month for which I think is reasonable.

adom

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2006
UK
I'm leaving in two weeks as well - just hoping I can somehow carry across my rather nice £20 staff tariff!

:rolleyes:

-Leemo

It doesn't :p You get the family and friends rate when you leave. So thats 30% off instead of 50%. I learnt that the hard way when I left the company thinking my O2 Max would still be only £35.

Hah! :D

On the topic of the phone, you can pretty much be assured that the company wont put it free on anything LESS than the maximum tariff. Hell, if they didnt with the Nokia Sirroco, they sure wont put the iPhone on anything less. Or you may end up getting an option where the phone is cheaper when you marry a talk tariff with a data one. E.g the phone is free on a £35-40 if you take a specific data package.

Theres no way, knowing O2, that it will be free on anything other than the maximum (if it is free at all)

Leemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
It doesn't :p You get the family and friends rate when you leave. So thats 30% off instead of 50%. I learnt that the hard way when I left the company thinking my O2 Max would still be only £35.

Ah you see - they've changed it!

I can keep my £20 tariff forever, I'll just never be able to stay on the tariff if I upgrade. 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 75mb of internet of BlackBerry usage for £20. Mmmm.

I daresay there will be ways around it for me to get an upgrade, the o2 upgrade systems are rather dodgy.

BWA HA HA!

-Leemo

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
We're not sure, but the Apple Expo in France seems like the perfect place, plus Orange (the provider for France) will be there on the first day..coincidence?

In short, we HOPE there will be an announcement at the end of the month!
Gotchya...ta!

Well, here's to the long wait!!

Leemo, I know what you mean about the O2 upgrades system, it's about one of the only good things I can say about them as of late.
Well I currently pay £25 for 1000 texts and 850 anytime/anywhere minutes. Had a £10 bolt on giviing me an extra 20Mb Internet, but it wasn't enough and it wasn't worth it, so I removed it.

adom

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2006
UK
Ah you see - they've changed it!

I can keep my £20 tariff forever,
-Leemo

I hope for your sake you are right. lol. It wouldnt be in O2's best interest to keep you on the 50%, and it was previously a system based downgrade - if your no longer staff, the system downgrades you to F&F. If you have double checked with staff accounts then thats cool. But it must have changed in the month I've left. :p

Leemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I hope for your sake you are right. lol. It wouldnt be in O2's best interest to keep you on the 50%, and it was previously a system based downgrade - if your no longer staff, the system downgrades you to F&F. If you have double checked with staff accounts then thats cool. But it must have changed in the month I've left. :p

You see it's all different now. They changed the staff tariffs back in April - making it a standard £20 a month for staff, 1000 mins and 1000 texts with 75mb of data and free BlackBerry service. You can then have 15 other people on as friends and family who get 30% off normal online tariffs.

They were doing the '50% off' for staff as I joined but changed it shortly after.

-Leemo

adom

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2006
UK
You see it's all different now. They changed the staff tariffs back in April - making it a standard £20 a month for staff, 1000 mins and 1000 texts with 75mb of data and free BlackBerry service. You can then have 15 other people on as friends and family who get 30% off normal online tariffs.

They were doing the '50% off' for staff as I joined but changed it shortly after.

-Leemo

ah i see. shows how much i paid attention to the circulars on vital. lol!!!

Guilfox

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2007
Just played with the iPhone for the first time....

it's in the city, just in front of liverpool street station, they have one, you can "play" with it, employee are cool.

map here

Just been to this shop and got my hands on an iPhone.

Just like all the reviews it feels solid and the iPod features were fantastic, in particulr the coverflow browsing. It wasn't connected to anything including wi-fi so I could not use the browser, You Tube or stocks apps. Needless to say I want one more than ever now.

Back on topic has anyone on O2 noticed Edge reception. My Blackberry 8300 keeps coming up with Edge instead of 3G for its connection. This must be a very clear signal that O2 are getting the iPhone.

Fingers crossed for the 25th :D

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Announce the iPhone in the UK already Apple I am getting restless with this Nokia junk!!

I am not too fussed about EDGE. Sure, would love 3G but for the same reasons Apple chose flash over HDD for the Touch (slimness, battery life) its an understandable decision.

Just....release the thing!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Just been to this shop and got my hands on an iPhone.

Just like all the reviews it feels solid and the iPod features were fantastic, in particulr the coverflow browsing. It wasn't connected to anything including wi-fi so I could not use the browser, You Tube or stocks apps. Needless to say I want one more than ever now.

Ditto. The screen was just fantabulous...clear and crisp, software was responsive and overall a great device. The keyboard however might take some getting used to....especially if you're used to full qwerty keyboards like i am.

Overall i was very amazed and my day was brightened a little when i left and can't wait to get one.

They said Oct 1st looks to be a likely released date and that seems reasonable but i hope its sooner....like announced on the 25th to be shipped out to stores on the 1st or something.

EDIT:Curious though, is it possible to buy an iPhone in the US and then use the recently announced 60 AUD/ £22 software to unlock it? Without needing to activate (sign up to AT&T first)?. Cos thats VERY tempting to me

Guilfox

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2007
Announce the iPhone in the UK already Apple I am getting restless with this Nokia junk!!

I am not too fussed about EDGE. Sure, would love 3G but for the same reasons Apple chose flash over HDD for the Touch (slimness, battery life) its an understandable decision.

Just....release the thing!

I agree, the wait is almost killing me and I can't look at the internet without checking out this site and Google news to see if there are any updates.

I feel like doing a Cartman and freezing myself for a month so I don't have to live through this wait. I only hope I don't wake up in the 25th century and find out iPhones don't exist anymore! :eek:

RossoA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2007
Horsham, UK
Oh so you wouldn't be happy with an iPhone 20G ? :D

LMAO!

"Welcome to Macworld. This is the new iPhone! *BIG CHEER*
...It's got thought-sensitive screen! *BIG CHEER*
...It's got optical speed wireless broadband with Airport XXXXX-treme which can pick it up anywhere in t3h world with no roaming charges! *HUGE CHEER*
...It's got a fold-out picnic table! *coughing*
...and one more thing!...
It's STILL on AT&T!" *Rapid departure*.

Heh. :D

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
LMAO!

"Welcome to Macworld. This is the new iPhone! *BIG CHEER*
...It's got thought-sensitive screen! *BIG CHEER*
...It's got optical speed wireless broadband with Airport XXXXX-treme which can pick it up anywhere in t3h world with no roaming charges! *HUGE CHEER*
...It's got a fold-out picnic table! *coughing*
...and one more thing!...
It's STILL on AT&T!" *Rapid departure*.

Heh. :D
.. Still has cover flow
:D

Leemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
EDIT:Curious though, is it possible to buy an iPhone in the US and then use the recently announced 60 AUD/ £22 software to unlock it? Without needing to activate (sign up to AT&T first)?. Cos thats VERY tempting to me

Yeah - in theory.

However, apparently on their site is the disclaimer that they 'can't guarantee' it will work with future updates.

Methinks with this particular software unlock Apple will be on the case relatively quickly - and next time an update which contains something people want it will probably block the loophole.

I could be completely wrong of course and it could work forever and ever - just be careful about spending your moolah! I'm really tempted too, but I've waited this long, another month or so won't kill me.

-Leemo

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Yeah - in theory.

However, apparently on their site is the disclaimer that they 'can't guarantee' it will work with future updates.

Methinks with this particular software unlock Apple will be on the case relatively quickly - and next time an update which contains something people want it will probably block the loophole.

I could be completely wrong of course and it could work forever and ever - just be careful about spending your moolah! I'm really tempted too, but I've waited this long, another month or so won't kill me.

-Leemo

Good points

ooALoo

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007
T-Mobile Germany Advert

Slightly off topic but that supposedly "leaked advert" from T-Mobile in Germany. Who they trying to kid??

No one is going to buy it on those kinds of tariffs!!!

Haha, part of me doesnt want it to be released. Reading all the speculation is hilarious. I'm waiting for the "Apple ditch all netweork operators and decide to just sell the Handset sim-free" rumours.

:D:D:D

RossoA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2007
Horsham, UK
Slightly off topic but that supposedly "leaked advert" from T-Mobile in Germany. Who they trying to kid??

No one is going to buy it on those kinds of tariffs!!!

Haha, part of me doesnt want it to be released. Reading all the speculation is hilarious. I'm waiting for the "Apple ditch all netweork operators and decide to just sell the Handset sim-free" rumours.

:D:D:D

OMFG w000t!! !@£%!%^^&&*()!!!! HOW DID YOU FIND THIS OUT?!?!? ??!?1/ :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :(

Something tells me, it's not going to happen. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.