A bit dissapointed with the graphics for 360 and PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by pgc6000, May 28, 2005.

1. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Well after watching some game footage from E3 on G4 TV, I have to say I'm a bitt dissapointed with the graphics of the 360 and PS3. They look a bit more polished, but other then that they seemed almost the same. Only Ghost Recon 3 (I saw a video clip online) seemed like an improvment at all. Of course gameplay is where is really counts...but still.

2. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I was sort of impressed, but think about it: XBOX 360 is garbage (what did you expect :D ) and the PS3 is still a year off. What is not acceptable is Nintendo having NO details on Revolution or game footage.

3. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Why is the 360 garbage? :rolleyes:

4. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Well, I am pretty impressed with the graphical capabilities of both systems. I have and x800 Pro in my gaming PC, and both systems looks as good or better than anything I've played (including Doom III and HL2).

This next-gen is more about new experiences than super graphics. X360 will offer an unparalleled online experience, which will turn gaming into a form of "mediated communication", rather than simply online play. Try to think of the X360 as an MMORPG unto itself. Player stats, player levels based on accomplishment, a dynamic economy, and community orientation are all going to be critical components of the new xbox.

PS3, by Sony's own admission, is not a gaming system. It's an integrated high definition home entertainment device, which in theory will also act as a gateway to the world. Most interesting is that for the first time in history, we will control these "worlds".

Nintendo is taking a step back, and focusing on fun again. They are, IMO, on the right track. My 68 year old grandmother, for the first time since the days of the NES, asked to play one of my games! Which one? WarioWare Touched on the DS. The game where you move the pissing statue to put out the fires had her laughing like a little kid again. (Funny aside: my grandmother thinks EVERY videogame is called "a Nintendo", except handheld games, which are called "gameboys"!)

Sure the gfx might not be as good as everyone hoped, but Doom III proved that great graphics are worthless if the gameplay sucks.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I agree on the 360 footage but not PS3. Did you watch the Fight Night demo (real time on stage) or Killzone (prerendered on equivilant of the final hardware) trailer? It's insane. The physics... the ripples on the face....realtime.

The 360 was a huge disappointment in terms of graphics. Perfect Dark Zero was shameful, didn't look any better than Halo 2, and lagged. Gears of War ran at about 10 FPS at some points. I'm sure the final version will not have the lag, but it's really stupid to show it in real time if it CAN'T HANDLE THE GAME.

The weird thing is that the only games that looked extremely good were...EA's sports games. Tiger Woods had an EXTREMELY smooth golf ball and character (the ground was a texture though, that was ugly), and the basketball game looked insane as did the football game. But all of the first party games looked horrid with the exception of Gears of War (which doesn't match up to Killzone).

6. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Yeah i thought the PS3 footage was truly amazing!! The Xbox footage was..meh.
    The duck demo in my opinion was awesome, the way every single duck was reacting with such real time physics...amazing!!
    I hope that the duck demo come with the PS3 :D :D

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Along with an advanced light gun. Duck Hunt 2.0! :D

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

well when you think about it, did early ps2 games look any better than late ps1 games? i'm sure the graphics are going to be a lot better after awhile.

9. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

You're exactly right and someone from either Microsoft or Sony said it before. The first year or two of games for the next generation gaming consoles won't have much better graphics. Once developers need to make better games for the consoles because people won't being buying games just because they got a new console they will start to make the graphics much better.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Check this out. Real time rendered on the PS3 during the demo.

[​IMG]

Disappointed, anyone? :D

11. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I'm a little impressed.. :rolleyes:

12. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You do gotta remember, all the 360 footage was being ran by Powermac G5s. :)

13. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

The realism is lost when the boxer punches his opponent but is facing a completely different direction. Doesn't make sense to me. At least you'd be making eye contact on your opponent after hitting him.

14. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

To tell the truth, yes, except for the face.

homerjward is right. We must give them both time. We shouldn't be smashing the Xbox just because it's a Microsoft product. Personally, I think where they fail in everything else, they succeed in gaming. And even I shall give the PS3 a chance.

15. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

A little. It still looks computer generated. How long before truly "photorealistic" games? Perhaps by the PS5?

16. unfaded macrumors 6502

Perhaps that's because its generated by a computer. Just a thought.

17. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Why do I get the feeling that people will be saying the same exact thing even when we hit the PlayStation 8. :rolleyes:

OMG his nipples are to close to the top of his trunks. So not impressed!

18. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

At this point, it becomes an issue of diminishing returns. You'll have more fun actually boxing for real, than playing a stupid boxing game that tries too hard to be real.

19. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

It'll probably be a lot longer than that. Only just recently, a year or two tops, have computers been able to generate scenes that appear genuinely real (look at movies, as an example). Now, these scenes probably take forever to generate. I remember reading somewhere that Pixar took about an hour to render a second of video, and they're using tons of hardware and huge render farms. If I were forced to guess, I'd say that we'll have to wait at least 10 years to be able to achieve the same result in realtime.

I think the released images look amazing, for both consoles, considering the processing power of the units.

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

So I am right then (I'm always right, btw) because within 10 years, the PS5 should make its appearance. The upgrade cycle for the PlayStation console has so far been in intervals of 5 years.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ever see an xBox Blue Screen? M$ still sux. I'm a PS2 fan anyway.

22. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

no, i'm not disappointed actually, unlike some people. however, i think that to truly appreciate things like this we need to see them in motion. like some people have said--clothing moving realistically (not captured in this photo) the motion of that sweat that's shown (not shown) i mean in gran turismo 4 you can look at a picture such as this one but you can't see in a still the way the sun peeks in and out from behind the trees when you pass it, or the light/shadow interplay when you leave that shadow. here you can't see a lot of the particle effect from that smoke such as the way it gets distributed through the air--only where it is at the instant the pic was taken.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You shoulda seen it in motion, with the ripples of the skin.

Same thing to the guy who said that he's facing the wrong direction, etc, etc. He's not.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748455/vids_1.html

It's the one on the right. Watch it. You will see.

24. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

It'll take a while for developers to catch up with the new hardware; optimization is as important as power. It will be interesting to see how the next generation of games turn out. In my opinion, the console gaming industry has been held back for years by the underpowered but (ever popular) PS2. In terms of power, it matches Dreamcast more than Gamecube or X-Box, but every multiplatform game has been developed with it in mind and thus was unable to push any limits technologically.

25. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You have somewhat of a good point.