A bit of mac-the-ripper help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Scartissue, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Scartissue macrumors member

Hi there. I'm getting ready for a nice long camping trip nextmonth, and am trying to rip some of my DVD's for while we're up there. I've downloaded Mac The Ripper, and am having trouble understanding it. So, can anyone here give me a simple (i.e, NOT their FAQ) instruction thing for doing it? My plan is to take a DVD (Reigon 2) of Will And Grace epsidodes, and end with a reasonably small (you guys can help me with reccomendations here) .avi/.mov etc file, which i can view.

Thanks a lot!

Dave

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Use Handbrake.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/

3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Handbrake keeps giving me files that won't play. I have the latest version too.
    I just used Mencoder to rip a DVD a couple days ago.
    Give Mencoder a try.

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

MacTheRipper only extracts the content from DVD's, it doesn't compress it. For that you will need another app. Check out Popcorn or DVD2One.

5. cwright macrumors 6502a

Go with DVD2One. I've used both, and Popcorn doesn't seem to be as good. Haven't had any issues with DVD2One and Popcorn often gives me error messages saying it "can't handle" the Video_TS folders coming from MacTheRipper.

Also, DVD2One is more flexible when choosing which components of the DVD you want to keep and which to discard. It also has the Joint Mode feature, which is nice for TV episodes... which you can't do with Popcorn.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

From what I've read Popcorn has only reported problems if you extracted certain parts with MactheRipper. You have to do the whole DVD for it to work properly in Popcorn, at least for the time being.

jon

7. cwright macrumors 6502a

ok, that makes sense, but thats where another problem with Popcorn comes in...
    When you extract the whole disc rather than just the main feature, Popcorn does not let you select which "main feature" to extract. Say the disc contains a 4x3 version and 16x9 version of the movie. Popcorn only lets you select "main feature" and there's no way to tell it which main feature you want.
    This also happens if there are special features on the disc with long running times. Sometimes it will extract the special feature instead of the movie.