Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Excuse me, but there has been lowered expectation leaks.
Have you read John Gruber's blog titled "Teardrop Skepticism" posted on Friday?
Read it and you will see why there will be NO redesign.
http://daringfireball.net/

I agree that the original teardrop rumors looked too aggressive.
However the german fabrication don't seem that bad, however will be interesting to see how this actually is.

Also about having a bigger screen, I still do prefer to maintain the 'Retina Display'.

I am more inclined that the next new design will be liquid metal made, and with a curved shape like the 3G or something like it, maybe better feeling when you are holding it, lighter and not slippy.

What happened with the curved glass rumors?
Not that I am looking forward for this, but it is not included in the nice pictograph posted above.

And also the 3D without glasses?
I haven't seen or hold any of the 3D screen devices like the Nintendo 3DS, how are they?

raviadso

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
Sooooo

no iphone 5
iphone 4 is an enormous speed boost (CPU, GPU)
there is no way the 4s is 1gb of ram. Even the ipad 2 only has 512

I think a lot of people will be disappointed, but with a 3GS beginning to fail in my hand, I would absolutely love to have the innards of an ipad 2 in my phone (and the iphone 4 is gorgeous, btw)

soya

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I totally agree with this rumour as it was my initial thoughts. We can add that plist refers to iPhone 3,2 (N90A) / iPhone 4,1 (N93) / iPhone 4,2 (N94) where the 1st has A4 and the 2nd-3rd A5. Makes sense that they will all be dual-mode and the N90A will not be only low-cost but also dual-mode as I don't remember that the 3GS got an A next to its N8x reference when it was released in 8GB version.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

DeathChill said:
Apple never comments on rumors, because it would be a dangerous precedent for them to set. What happens if this one time they say no, the iPhone 5 is not real? Then every time they don't deny a rumor, it somehow gains credibility.

No, but Apple dispels rumours through blogs such as Daring Fireball, AllThingsD and The Loop. Unofficially, of course, but they give information they wish to share to these blogs who report these scoops. They did it to lower expectations for WWDC (no new iPhone hardware).

EDIT: So basically, I figure that Apple would get one of these blogs to report that there is no chance of an iPhone 5 so that expectations are lowered BEFORE the event. This would temper expectations so that it isn't considered a letdown and the iPhone 4S is focused on because all of the bitching has already been done, rather then the iPhone 5 that never was. However, this is nowhere close to any sort of evidence, it's just interesting.

I would counter that there have been no substantive rumors about an iPhone 5 just random speculation.

If there was some specific evidence to refute sure but there isn't any. As far ad I know there are not many if any strong apple sites expecting an iPhone 5 at this point.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

strausd said:
Its a place holder in their logistics and inventory system. Friend of mine works for a large international carrier in managerial level and has no idea what's coming. They only know it's the new iPhone but that's the far as it goes. These are the same guys who are responsible for day to day operations so that explains why you have something like iPhone 5 in the inventory lists as a placeholder. You have to be a top executive have real knowledge of future iPhones and those guys have nothing to do with these lists.

If you have to be a top executive, how come the CEO of China's largest carrier used the term iPhone 5?

Mist CEOs are bug picture guys. He called it iPhone 5 for the same reason anyone has been calling it iPhone 5.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

AIP5 said:
If you have to be a top executive, how come the CEO of China's largest carrier used the term iPhone 5?

That is very true, indeed.

Okay, Arn, what about the rumors that Apple manufacturers are having a hard time working on the iPhone 5, and that they're producing many faulty units (here and here)?

And Wintek's "delayed bubble" in the screen (here)? Why would you have a screen problem now, if you're using the same screen?

These rumors show some proof of iPhone 5 production.

There is not going to be a teardrop iPhone for any time in the foreseeable future. The design makes no sense for the iPhone.

Clearly the production problems came from trying to produce something nobody was being asked to produce

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Sooooo

no iphone 5
iphone 4 is an enormous speed boost (CPU, GPU)
there is no way the 4s is 1gb of ram. Even the ipad 2 only has 512

I think a lot of people will be disappointed, but with a 3GS beginning to fail in my hand, I would absolutely love to have the innards of an ipad 2 in my phone (and the iphone 4 is gorgeous, btw)

Yet, there will be features (gimmicks) that will only be available on the iPhone 4S that if they appeal to you, you and many others will possibly upgrade anyway.
EDIT: Sorry, quoted the wrong post.

Last edited:

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

iFrodo said:
OK. You realize that both Gruber and John Paczkowski (ATD) have said they don't think it's likely that a new form factor iPhone is coming, right?

Gruber never said that, he said only "I don't know", that's what is post mean. He said that he doesn't believe in a tear drop design "don't count on it", mainly because he doesn't like the idea. But at the same time he said "ask again later" to wether there would be two new iPhone instead of just one.

You believe all these guys have an automagically pipeline that feeds them everything at apple. They would all tell you that is not the case.

There are no rumors right now of any substance that an iPhone 5 is imminent. There is nothing to debunk.

I think it is a bit insulting to all those people that you characterize then all as apple pr flacks

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Excuse me, but there has been lowered expectation leaks.
Have you read John Gruber's blog titled "Teardrop Skepticism" posted on Friday?
Read it and you will see why there will be NO redesign.
http://daringfireball.net/
Yes, I've seen it. However, like AIP5 said, I would imagine that Gruber would be taking a much more authoritative position, not prefacing it with "I really don't know anything about the new iPhone." This just leads to more speculation.

marksman said:
You believe all these guys have an automagically pipeline that feeds them everything at apple. They would all tell you that is not the case.

There are no rumors right now of any substance that an iPhone 5 is imminent. There is nothing to debunk.

I think it is a bit insulting to all those people that you characterize then all as apple pr flacks
I do not believe that they know everything going on at Apple. I certainly do believe that Apple feeds them information that it wants put out there and I'd have a hard time believing that you don't believe the same.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

o0jelly0o said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Millionaire2K said:
For me the redesign issue is not important. I'm in the camp that believes the current design is the best piece of industrial design I've ever owned. It's utterly beautiful and I will certainly not complain if it doesn't change.

I'm just a bit confused at why they would use the name 4S. With the 3GS it was clearly to avoid confusion between the iPhone 3G (meaning third generation network) and the Third Generation iPhone which some might have called the iPhone 3G in reference to it being the third iteration. So 3GS made sense. But no one is going to confuse the fourth Gen for the fifth Gen iPhone. Call one four and one five and have done with it! Very simple and no chance of a mix up.

4S leaves a big question mark over the name of the next unit. It would presumably be called iPhone 5 but then it will be the sixth generation machine. Does that make any sense to anyone here? Why would you set it up so your sixth generation machine was called 5?!

Can anyone think of a logical explanation for this?

I say why call it "4" "5" or "6" at all. We don't call the latest mac the mac book air 5. Or the ipods, we don't say "I want that new ipod Touch 3".

Apple should just drop the number and just call it "iPhone"

So people would see the new phone and say "I must have that new iPhone, it looks amazing"

Instead of saying "I want that new iPhone 4s 5G 3m R2 PO thing, it looks amazing. What number is that one you have? Oh it 4s? How much is the 4r? or the 5s?"

No, the biggest selling products need numbers attached to them so consumers can better differentiate, and are more likely to go out and buy the new one. It's simply marketing. Which is a large reason why I think there will be a '5' no matter what form factor it comes in. Simply due to marketing, people want a '5' not a 4S, it's really as simple as that.

As someone who owns a very successful marketing company, I will disagree with your assertion that the name makes that much difference.

Apple names their iPhones based on their external design not generation. The 4s is using the 4 body and frame thus why it gets the name.

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
I dont think that :apple:Steve would leave Apple in such time, if there is no big surprise going on. Steve hurt shares, fans and everybody else by leaving Apple. (I know that he has medical problems, but thats not the point here)...

That is an incredibly ridiculous and uninformed statement. Steve Jobs is very seriously ill. Apple is certainly his life, and he would not have stepped down unless he literally had no choice but to do so. Whether or not there was a new iPhone design played absolutely no part in this unfortunate situation.

To say that he hurt shares, fans and everybody else by leaving Apple is beyond moronic.

mikerudolph22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
DC Metro Area
Willy Wonka works at Apple. I love it. I check MacRumors like its my job.

Can't wait to see what it ends up being. I wouldn't be disappointed if its just the iPhone 4S and is HSPA+ compatible.

Really pumped for voice integration and iOS 5.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

wovel said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Problem is some people have reported that the A5 is necessary to use apples new assistant feature (due to processing demands). Would they rerelease the iPhone 4 when it couldn't run one of the key iOS features since it only has the A4. Has apple ever sold an iPhone model that couldn't take full advantage of the iOS software? Would they rerelease a 16 month old phone for another 12 months only with reduced storage?

There were proven references to 4S in the iTunes beta, what about the iPhone 5 references in radioshack's database and all the case leaks?

Yes, the would, they have, and they do.

----------

No, they aren't. We have no confirmation those released shots were from an AT&T store.

We have no confirmation on any rumors about the iPhone 4s/5. None. You can't prove to me those screenshots are from Apples inventory database either. It would take me less than 5 minutes to make on original screenshot that said the name of that phone was the iPhone 5.

Should I blurry it up like they did for decent effect, or just take a dcnt shot?

Umm yeah we have the 4S designation in the iTunes beta. That is proof from apple themselves.

There is no evidence an iPhone 5 model exists at this point which means it probably does not

medazinol

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

I can live without a new design on the new iPhone. There isn't anything wrong with the iPhone 4 design. However I will be very disappointed if it doesn't have a larger screen. The iPhone really needs a 4"+ screen

mikerudolph22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
DC Metro Area
Why new iPhone won't have a larger screen.

Wouldn't having a bigger screen with a different number of pixels force ALL apps to be incompatible, similar to the way many apps are displayed smaller on the iPad?

I think unless they have some sort of immediate compatibility (or auto mapping of pixels) thru iOS 5, it is unlikely they will have a larger screen. If they do though, all the developers will have to make 3 versions (old iPhone, new iPhone, and iPad) of displays for their apps.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Has anyone considered that the leaked prototype design for the 'iPhone 5' might actually be the new larger redesigned iPod Touch instead? If this is the case I would find it disappointing that the iPod Touch got a larger screen before the next iPhone. My gut feeling says that's exactly what will happen.

You know what, there could be something to this. While I think it would be a long shot, it is possible. Without the cellular radio the iPod touch has plenty of battery to power the larger screen for a decent amount of time.

People would go nuts for an iPod with a larger screen.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Last few glimmers of hope:

Toplosky formerly of engadget broke taper design. His sources have good track record.

Cases are out based on taper. Cases have correctly predicted iPad 2 and ipod touch models ahead of launch.

Screen manufacturing issues report. If screen size isn't changing, then why so many problems? New supplier or new screen?

IPhone 4,1 4,2 and 4,3 entries appeared in itunes. Now only 4,1 is showing up. However, all itunes entries have turned into actual products except iFPGA. It makes sense that they would all be 4 because they all presumably share the same A5 processor.

16 months for an internal upgrade? Only makes sense if they are stalling for iOS 5.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Hey all, I was wondering if any of you remember any leaks from the original iPad? I remember there were rumors flying around about a tablet like device from Apple, etc, but did we know if such a device was in production, or part leaks?

As for iPad 2, the design was revealed only at the event, right?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I dont think that :apple:Steve would leave Apple in such time, if there is no big surprise going on. Steve hurt shares, fans and everybody else by leaving Apple.

Steve Jobs did not leave Apple. He is still an Apple employee. He just has a different job with Apple now.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

lol at "a USER confirms" CONFIRMS! .... thats all

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Hey all, I was wondering if any of you remember any leaks from the original iPad? I remember there were rumors flying around about a tablet like device from Apple, etc, but did we know if such a device was in production, or part leaks?

Yes, there were part leaks.

As for iPad 2, the design was revealed only at the event, right?

There were case leaks as well as a few parts (white bezel).

Last few glimmers of hope:

Don't forget the photostream icon. To me, that's the most compelling evidence, because it came straight from apple.

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

"The source of much of the confusion is the natural use of the term "iPhone 5" to simply refer to the next-generation iPhone that Apple will be launching on October 4th."

In other words, MacRumors created the confusion they're now "reporting."

Wouldn't having a bigger screen with a different number of pixels force ALL apps to be incompatible, similar to the way many apps are displayed smaller on the iPad?

I think unless they have some sort of immediate compatibility (or auto mapping of pixels) thru iOS 5, it is unlikely they will have a larger screen. If they do though, all the developers will have to make 3 versions (old iPhone, new iPhone, and iPad) of displays for their apps.

Why should the bigger screen have more pixels? Given the larger screen size, the viewing distancing will be accordingly further, and a 960x640 screen at 4" is still an amazing 288 PPI. For reference, the iPads PPI is only 131.

Cheers Mate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.