A brief post, before the inevitable...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cr2sh, Jun 27, 2003.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I've been out of town for the last two weeks, traveling, working and such. On Sunday night I was driving and I thought "Wow, I can't wait to get back.. my DSL will be hooked up, I'll get to start surfing the web again... internet will be nice." Driving thru Kentucky I thought about you guys... I've been so out of the loop (please forgive the pun) of Macintosh - and I've missed the MacRumors forum and the people...
    I knew of the upcoming developer's whatever.. but hadn't known of the expected g5 announcement. So, Tuesday morning my phone rang, its my right hand man Nick.. and he reads "On Tuesday morning Apple announced..." and my jaw dropped. I couldn't believe it.. I've been waiting for it for so long, wanting and dreaming of what it'd be like and how it'd revolutionize my life.

Immediately though, there was some disappointment. For so long "G5" was the measure of a true mac-addict. You could whisper "g5" in a hallway and those who knew what were talking about would peak, only their heads would turn... and you'd know you were amongst your peers. "G5" was a top-secret club, and we were all members. Tuesday morning I heard Nick say "G5" and my heart skipped a beat in excitement... but it also slumped. I later heard Laura say it and I knew.. these people were not mac die-hards - just casual pc users.... and they knew. It had become a reality, and a small part of me died. It was a dream that came true.. but maybe, it was better as a dream.

I did not want the ppc970 to be called the g5.. its just not true.

Its now 4days later.. and this is the first chance I've had to connect to the internet. I haven't seen the new case, I haven't seen the website... I know nothing that the rest of you do. So, this is a brief post, before the inevitable dissapointment... it can't be as good as I want it to be. I've so much enjoyed talking with you guys about it, dreaming, and wishing... and now its here. It was always about the "G5", but it also soon became about the people and friends... so, I'm glad to be back. :)

2. morlium macrumors regular

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

is anyone else a little weirded out (and confused) by this post?

4. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

This is such a weird post.

The machine is a beast. It exceeds even the skeptics expectations, and it's an absolute masterpiece.

Get over it and buy one.

(it's never too early to start waiting for the G6 ;) )

5. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

lol, yeah, I gotta admit it's a little bit odd...but I think I get what he's trying to say

--Fred

6. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

i should hope not. the post was honest (though a bit tongue in cheek). i am a small part of the community, posting used to be a part of my day that i enjoyed. now i work 90 hour weeks, have no time to indulge in mac rumors... maybe you take it for granted, maybe you don't enjoy it as much as i do, maybe i'm not as welcome here as i thought... but the post was honest. when i quit posting, 970 was still a pipe dream.. maybe its become more of a reality in the last two months and youve grown complacent, but my enthusiasm is genuine.. sorry if it weirds you out. *shrug*

it is indeed pimp, the pci-x is stunning.. and the benchmarks look amazing considering they're not running 64-bit applications..
    am i dissapointed? well, you guys have to admit the first time you saw the case you thought "thats it?" an hour later and its growing on me.. have i ordered one yet? no, but then i've still got a few payments on my 17" powerbook to make.

do we know the expected shipping date yet?

7. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

9. iGav macrumors G3

heh-heh... yeah man!! :D :D :D

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

cr2sh--i was expecting a flashier box too, but this one suits me just fine. no disappointments here :) it is shipping in August, i believe steve said.

11. pilotgi macrumors regular

12. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Alot of have complained about the new case. It seems to be one that you either love or hate. Not much middle ground.

Personally, I like it much more than the old design. The best part is that Apple finally put ports on the front:)

13. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i agree. but the old design was the same about how endearing it was to people. i always thought it was the worst design of all the current/past 2 or so years apple product line, with the Tibook as the best (NOT the aluminums, i don't like the curves much) and the cube as the best designs they have done.

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

15. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

great post...

definintely an interesting perspective -- from one who hadn't been following it intently.

I posted in my announcement of the G5... it's like a dream.

People have been talking about the "g5" for so long.... despite this kinda cheating - in many ways, it's not.

The biggest improvements beyond just hte processor advanement are the subsystems... which is amazing jump forward from where we've been in the past few years.

arn

16. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

17. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

G6 sounds and looks really wierd. Maybe thats just me.

18. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

...and the mystery tablet thingy ;)

19. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

20. BigJayhawk macrumors regular

I think SonofSlim is the Poet . . .

quote:
    Originally posted by sonofslim

I want a computer so good it must be used for evil. I want to walk out of Apple SoHo with a golden aura. I want anti-gravity bluetooth. I want a computer that chases squirrels and steals your picnic lunch. I want a computer that gets bored while I'm at work and prank-calls Microsoft tech support. I want WiFi control over my coffee maker. And my roommate. And the cat. I want the ability to hijack passing iPods. I want a computer that reduces fat while locking in savory chicken flavor. I want four on the floor and a fuzzy 970 chip hanging from the rearview. I want an Airport station that cleans my laundry with sonic waves. I want a keyboard with gold teeth. I want fries with that

21. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

cr2sh, that must have felt weird to not hear anything and then suddenly get a call like that...

i actually prefer updates that way. i mean we usually know when something is comeing, but i like it when they're a real surprise announcement. i hope the new PowerBooks come that way. :D

and sonofslim, you're making evil sound like fun. i thought that was Microsofts job:

"We feel that there are real opportunities with evil, and that when evil is integrated it into our next generation of Windows products consumers will appreciate evil on their desktop," said Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates.

Microsoft purchases evil from Satan :D

22. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

cr2sh,

I can relate completely. The G5 was this amazing thing that was going to finally bring us (meaning Mac users) back into the forefront, and usher in a new age of Apple's history. Gone would be the PC users kicking the Intel sand in our face, and in would be the gloating and the drooling. And the empty bank accounts. :)

We'll all just have to find something else to focus on. Personally, I'm waiting for holographic displays. I figure I'll have at least 10 years of anticipation that way. ;)

Regards,
    Gus

23. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I've been working in Kentucky for a while, its a strongly religious state, lots of babtists and dry counties... and i'm not much of a religious man, so i was quite surprised on friday morning when jesus spoketh to me "Chad, buy a G5." I'd been trying to justify it to myself, I mean I'm never home.. I've had this 17" PB for a few months now and it'll reduce the "awesome" factor.. I don't really need the power... I won't use it that much...

I mean, I can't just go around buying whatever jesus tells me to buy, and killing whoever jesus tells me to kill... can I? :D

how's that for weird?

In the end, I rationalize it this way... if I buy a new desktop, I'm also going to need to buy a new display (or two), and I couldn't go any less than the 23", I'd have to get at least two gigs of ram in it.. and I just don't feel like dropping $6000 on a desktop that I'll use twice a month... :( (although i did tell my brother that he could have my cube.. ;) )