A Brief Review: The Seagate 160GB SATA HD for the Power Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by alexf, Feb 2, 2005.

1. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

In reference to the thread that I started a week or so ago regarding which hard drive to buy for the 2nd slot of my Rev. B Power Mac G5 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=106432&page=1&pp=25), I thought that I should follow up and let everyknow how the new hard drive turned out (I think it's useful information for many).

I ordered the Seagate 160GB hard drive from OWC it came a few days later. I installed it right away into my G5 2.0 Rev. B, a process which was extremely simple, as those who have done this know. The most confusing part was when, upon start-up, I was asked to initialize the new hard drive, upon which Disk Utility opened and I was very confused because there was no "initialize" option, as there had been in previous Mac OS incarnations. Instead I decided to choose "erase," which I assumed was the same thing (but still am not sure).

I have had no problems with the Seagate, other than the fact that it is a bit noisier than I expected (but I am a bit obsessive about noise, especially since the G5 is so quiet). I can clearly tell when it is spinning because of a very high pitched - yet not very audible - whine, which I never noticed from the factory-installed hard drive (which is incidentally a Maxtor 160GB). However, because the "sleep hard disk" option is enabled in the preferences, the disk spins down after about 8 min. of inactivity and is then essentially non-existent.

Another (minor) issue is the fact that - although it is a "160GB" HD, there is only 149GB of space available. The factory-installed "160GB" Maxtor has 152.5GB available. (Not a big difference, I know, but perhaps significant to some people.)

This and the high-pitched whine is essentially the only complaint about the hard drive (and, again, the whine really is not loud at all, but since Seagates have such a reputation for quietness, I was a little disappointed). I have had no problems with it so far (knock on - or touch - wood) and I certainly can't complain about the 5 year warranty that it came with. :)

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I very nearly bought the same drive for my G4, but had a little extra cash so I opted for the IBM/Hitachi 250GB SATA. It is significantly quieter than my G4's original hard drive as well as being significantly faster.

It's funny that you mention Seagate having a reputation for quiet operation, because the last Seagate hard disks I owned were a pair of Seagate Hawk 2.1GB SCSI drives that were LOUD. Very loud. maybe their IDE drives are a lot quieter? :confused

Oh, and BTW my "250GB" Hitachi drive ended up having 232GB free once formatted, just for comparison with yours.

3. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Yes, according to the Internet research I did before buying the drive, Seagate has a reputation for making perhaps the quietest drives (at least since the advent of the Barracuda, I believe). However, I should again emphasize that this drive is NOT loud - just louder than I expected (and the quietness of the G5 makes these noises more noticeable). In any case, it's a lot quieter than my external LaCie D2 hard drive, which drowns out any noise the G5 is making when it starts spinning.