A call for help.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dmfunk, Aug 2, 2006.

1. dmfunk, Aug 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  2. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

What domain is his email address; if it's his isp, you can contact his ISP for his info also; I would contact the company you paid with and ask what their policy is for this kind of thing. Tell us who hosts his email if at all possible and could you tell us if the phone number is real?

3. bradc macrumors 6502

I live near Toronto and the only area codes in Toronto are 416 & 647, and the surrounding areas use 905&519, NOT, NOT 406 as you have typed.

Is there any more info, an address?

4. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

sorry about your misfortune. that really sucks.

as for what you should do about it:
    - my knowledge of ebay is limited, but i know they have some type of guarantee or protection from fraud. make sure you talk to someone at ebay asap.

- i've never heard of that method of payment (certapay) but i've never bought on ebay so maybe it's common and i just don't know. what i do know is that legit internet payment companies like paypal and the recently-launched google checkout have protections against fraud. talk to them right after you get off the phone with the ebay people.

- perhaps the bank you opened an account with can assist in getting your money back. i know certain credit cards offer this service, but i've never heard of a bank doing it. it wouldn't hurt to ask, though.

good luck and let us know what happens.

6. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I can tell you that the mods on this forum might not like you posting all of his supposed information here...they're very big on privacy rights and whatnot, even if the guy is a scammer.

These Certapay people...do they let you request refunds on money you've sent, like PayPal does?

EDIT: Just looked up Certapay...now I know why their name was familiar. In Canada, at least, they facilitate direct email money transfers between Canadian bank accounts. So, since you used their service, I take it that you made a direct deposit into this guy's bank account?!? :eek:

Sorry man, but that's not something you should do with strangers...

7. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

Pretty sure that's what paypal's for. I wouldn't buy anything from ebay using something other than paypal.

8. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I did a reverse phone number lookup for you on Bigfoot.

Basically, the number is unlisted, but there's some other information that might be useful if it is indeed the guy's real phone number. To see it, go here, enter the phone number, and search. It gives the town and county where the number *would* be located if it were listed, and also names the carrier for that phone number. Good luck :eek:

9. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

right, but doesn't ebay have a similar service? or do they do everything money-related through paypal?

certapay should have a similar feature, if ebay can't help him out.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

eBay bought PayPal a long time ago.

All big eBay purchasers should consider using an escrow service...

B

11. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Actually, I don't think Certapay has any refund procedures once someone has accepted the money transfer. I believe it's a direct transfer between two accounts, so the money officially belongs to the receiver once it's deposited.

Since we're talking real, honest-to-goodness bank accounts here, Certapay can't do jack all to freeze assets or reclaim money.

12. dmfunk, Aug 2, 2006

dmfunk thread starter macrumors newbie

13. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

if certapay requires a police warrant, go to a public attorney (one that represents the government) and tell them what happened and they'll probably set you up with a warrant. make your tax dollars work for you.

i would continue pressing ebay since that doesn't seem like a good enough response. how mad can you get when on the phone? more mad = better. especially since you paid $40 for shipping... that is quite a bit.

what happens when you call the phone number?

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Hi, sorry to hear about your problems... I'm going to spare you the lecture on "safe ebaying" right now and get down to tracking this guy. I did a search on canada411.ca and replacing the area code with '416' didn't come up with a Jollimoore. Interstingly enough when I type in the original number I get this :
    (406) 767-7675 is a land line based in Ridge, MT The registered service provider is Rt Communications**. Detailed listing information is not available.

I can't find anybody with that last name listed in Toronto, or Canada for that matter. So I think chasing down the contact information would be a waste of time.

I think you might want to persue the problem with your bank. Certapay is really just a new method of bank to bank transfers. You should be able to request details on your accounts transactions, and see where the money went. Now I'm not saying you'll get the guy's name and address or anything, but if you provide your emailed correspondence with him I'm sure they could escalate this to some sort of fraud protection service.

Good luck. I hope this is all really a misunderstanding, but it does have all the tell tale signs of a sour deal.

15. dmfunk, Aug 2, 2006

dmfunk thread starter macrumors newbie