A Call to Windows Users, and Switch Success

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacQuest, Jan 24, 2003.

1. MacQuest macrumors 6502a

Apple needs a new ad campaign that showcases all of it's superior aspects like aqua, quartz, stability, software integration, hardware innovation, 3rd party support from hardware manufacturers and software developers [THIS IS A BIG ONE], etc.

As long as they "keep it real" though.

Add some audio and video pizazz, but don't overpower the product. Likewise, don't undermine Apple's innovations and product designs by not showing ANYTHING.

Simplicity is what made, and despite what a lot of people may think, continues to make the Switch ad campaign successful.

Windows users could relate to the testimonials of these people who were voicing the same issues and concerns that they themselves had, or were currently having.

They were actually internalizing their computer problems as their own and thinking, "Oh, I must be doing something wrong."

Or worse, they were beginning to accept all of Microsofts faults as "just a normal part of owning a computer."

The Switch ad is successful because it gets Windows users talking amongst eachother.

Also, because after they compare notes and find that the common denominator in all of their computing misery Is Microsoft, they seek alternatives.

Unfortunately, some Windows users don't come to the realization right away that going from, let's say, Gateway to Dell, isn't going to resolve their problem, Microsoft's Windows.

The one's that do, however, come seeking answers from Mac users.

It could be the "rogue" relative who uses a Mac. Maybe they know someone who works in the graphics/editing profession, or sometimes they themselves owned a Mac in the past but felt compelled to buy a Windows box because "My workplace uses PC's".

Once they understand that Apple is the only computer manufacturer that oversees it's own hardware configurations, writes it's own OS that's optimized for that hardware configuration, and writes it's a lot of it's own software [iApps] that runs on its own operating system that, again, is optimized for it's own hardware, then it begins to make sense.

It's Quality Control. No Windows box manufacturer can compare, because none of them make their own OS, or quality applications like Apple's iApps.

Please add your comments, positive or negative, but let's try to keep this civil:)

2. Independence macrumors regular

looks good to me. :)

and i'll be getting a mac when i pull together the money. this two year old, good for just about nothing, stock pile of junk PC of mine has been giving me a whole slew of problems recently. its not windows causing it in this case though :/

3. MacQuest thread starter macrumors 6502a

Independance-

Welcome to the Mac Community!

Just out of curiosity whatHAScaused your "pile of junk" as you put it, to give you problems?

Because if it's simply a hardware issue, then helps prove my point about Quality Control that Apple provides by overseeing the hardware configurations.

Now before anyone FLAMES me, NO Apple's hardware and Mac OS X are not infallible and YES they both can have their own issues.

The point I'm trying to make is that Apple's products are relatively dependable when compared to Windows boxes because of the reduction of the chance of incompatabilities between the "Foundation', the hardware and the OS.

Versus, one Windows box manufacturer uses one brand for their hard drives, while another uses another, one uses this manufacturers cd-burners over those that that hardware manufacturer uses, etc.

Again, the Windows box inconsistencies [maybe one manufacturer chooses price over quality, or some high quality components and mixes them with lower priced ones, etc] that does not exist in the Mac community.

When something does go wrong with a Mac, it often times happens across the board, making it easier to pin-point the problem and reolve it, across the board.

Versus trying to decipher, "well, maybe it's just the hardware" or "maybe I don't have the right drivers for my hardware/OS" combination, or "maybe this 3rd party program just isn't as compatible with this version of Windows, and so on....

4. Independence macrumors regular

im fairly certain a hardware problem is causing my problems. i dont think its a problem with the RAM sticks. it'd just be my luck if the motherboard was going bad. this is this computer's third motherboard. the first one simply died about a month after putting this machine together, the second one didnt work correctly right out of the box. it could even be a problem with the hard disk or power supply (someone in another forum mentioned that my old 250w power supply might be causing some problems). i just dont feel like putting any more money into this PC. besides, i want that iMac. :D

5. MacQuest thread starter macrumors 6502a

That clarifies a lot..

Wow, 3 motherboards in two years!!

The funny part [maybe not so funny to you] is that this isn't the first time I've heard a story like this either.

This is not a critique of your workmanship whatsoever, but this is a classic example of how the ability to "Frankenstein" a Windows box together isn't necessarilly a good thing.

Optimist - I like having the option to build a computer to my own specs.

Pessimist - I don't like having to choose between configurations because i don't know what I need, much less what I'm going to need a year from now.

Realist - I just want something that works.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Independence's box sounds like it has a bad PS. That has nothing to do w/it being a "Frankenstein" Windows machine.

Lethal

7. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I agree with lethalWolfe that it was prolly the components the computer was built from. If one can get high quality parts for a PC at a good price, then a not so cheap PC can be built that's stable as a rock.

I bought a desktop from NEC, and they do make high quality PCs. I haven't had a hardware problem with it ever...and it's been over 5 years (yes, its an old 200 MHz Pentium-MMX). I've had it running 24/7 for months now as I converted it to a dedicated Folding at Home machine, and have had no problems.

As for the OS, XP is also quite stable for me. I currently have it running on my PC laptop (550 MHz AMD-K6-II), and haven't experienced the "blue screen of death" or whatever. I also rarely get freezes as well. I attribute this to having good drivers, and running programs that have a good track record...the only beta software on my computer is ObjectDock (which adds a functional taskbar/dock to my computer) and MyIE2 (which adds tabbed functionality to IE), and they occasionally will have problems. But it doesn't screw up the whole computer.

With these two computers, I've had exceptional stability, and have kept them on 24/7 to run Folding at Home...the same good points I would/should experience when buying my 17" powerbook. I might have been lucky as I don't seem to have the same experiences as other Window's users...but that's just me.

8. Independence macrumors regular

the first two motherboards were dirt cheap.

9. MacQuest thread starter macrumors 6502a

As admitted by Independance himself, the motherboards were dirt cheap.

Why? I don't know. Maybe he got a good deal on some actually decent MB's. In my experince however this is not usually the case.

They're usually cheap [pricewise] because they're cheap [quality wise, outdated, or both].

This is all specualtive though an all of our behalfs. It may be the power source Lethal, or any of the other components. Or incompatabilities between several of the components.

We don't know what the problem is for certain, but Independance will spend a lot more time researching the issue on a home built computer with mixed parts than he would on a Mac with a standard configuration.

Again, leading back to my original view on the advantages that Apple provides in terms of Quality Control.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

:confused:

Weren't there like 4 or 5 more posts on this thread a few hours ago?

Lethal

11. vniow macrumors G4

12. MacQuest thread starter macrumors 6502a

Reply to KTLX's post [which is now lost]

That's a typical Windows user point of view. You shouldn't be happy that the significantly dominant and older OS [2000] is no worse, you should be upset that it is not significantly better.

A more accurate comparison would be Mac OS 9 vs. Windows 98, Second Attempt...uh, I mean Edition. Just an FYI: In my 13 years of working on both platforms professionally, and currently a network administrator for a small company named Xerox. I get a nice fat paycheck for guess what? Maintaining/restoring Windows boxes and installing Xerox machinery on corporate networks [BTW, avg. time to install on a Mac network: 30-45 minutes, Windows network: 1 to 4 hours].

Yes, I am a professional Microsoft dancer in the not so graceful ballet that is Windows.

Jumping from computer to computer re-installing OS's, programs, guarding against viruses [http://news.com.com/2100-1001-982131.html?tag=fd_top], downloading service packs, reading up on the latest security alerts, de-fragging & optimizing hard drives, trying to figure out why something that worked fine an hour ago doesn't now, the typical Windows troubleshooting.

Hmm, never once in 13 years had to re-install a Mac OS, got hit by a virus, ah well, just good luck I guess like the way you don't have issues with 2000 or XP Pro...excuse me, I have to refrain from laughing...XP "Professional"...great, now I need some tissue for the tears of laughter.

I would keep the comparisons to Mac OS X vs. Windows 2000 or...gotta get another tissue ready..."better," seeing as how most people would not be naive enough to compare Mac OS 9 to Windows 3.11.

OS 9 is an old dinosaur that just hasn't died yet. It's fate is inevitable, but GIVE ME A BREAK! Mac users "clinging desparately"?

Congratulations ktix, you win the Oscar for best actor in the "Overly dramatized and exaggerated statement to try and make a point" category.

OS 9 did crash on occasion, the only reason Mac's got the reputation of being "crash-proof" is because they crashed alot less than Windows, which is pretty sad.

You expect us to believe that the Mac was reliable only when running a processor intensive program like Photoshop, but took a dive on easy tasks? KTIX a word of advice, Just say "NO" to drugs.

It's like saying "My car runs fine at 100mph, but I'll be damned, it just won't go 50!

There should be no question that a $3000 computer is faster than a $1500 one. Unfortunately in my experience, it is just the opposite.

I agree, along with a large part of the Mac Community. Apple got shafted by Motorola's cancellation of the G5 processor development, and consequently the current line-up of PowerMacs is inadequate for the industries and tasks for which this kind of power is required.

I hope we don't get price hijacked either!

We'll see you when the 970's come out then.:)

13. MacQuest thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

hey ktix, we all know of the pmacs, actually the entire lineup's shortfalls in various departments namely hardware.

BUT, we look at this - my mac opens word faster than a 2.8Ghz P4. yet it is only a DP1G.

my mac can run 21 apps simultaneously (inc. Pshop Elements, MS Office, iTunes, StarCraft BW, QT, IE, Safari, Toast) it was also running a 71 slide ppt presentation. all one 256MB DDR.

my mates 2.8Ghz P4 w/1024MB DDR crashed in Win2k AND WinXP Pro after we opened all of office, IE, and tried to run the presentation. we didnt even get to Pshop Elements.

right, the mac is so crash prone. btw i managed to quit most of them simultaneously as well. i say most because i couldnt tell for a bit that the clicks had been registered.

yes, i was in OS X 10.2. crash prone my butt.

EDIT: i also happened to be playing a net radio stream @ 128Kbps and copying 41.5GB from one HDD to another at the time of testing. didnt notice it, they were in the background.

15. Independence macrumors regular

since my post disappeared i'll post it again (nothing new, i've seen other forums have problems :))

this is the third motherboard in two years. the third motherboard being used for almost that entire period of time. the first one died a month after installing it. the second didnt work correctly right out of the box. but the third has been in use for almost two years.

16. PC Clone macrumors member

benixau- stop lying... I have less than half the system your friend has and I can easily do all that stuff... you sure you didn't stick a screwdriver in his motherboard when he wasn't looking?

17. MacQuest thread starter macrumors 6502a

PC Clone-

Although benixau's quote does sound a little exaggerated, this is in no way unheard of.

I'm happy that you can do all this with half the system...for now.

Keep doing it though, and watch the reliability degrade over a short time as the inconsistencies inherent in Windows boxes start to rear their ugly heads.

The Mac will consistently perform where as Windows boxes whill act eradically. Something that may have worked yesterday or an hour ago, all of a sudden doesn't.

This is a typical Windows scenario whether you choose to believe it or not.

I'm not complaining too much though, these guessing games that Windows boxes play are what keep my nice paychecks coming from Xerox as a Dell/Gateway maintenance man:D

If they all used Macs, I would be jobless:(

Quality Control = Consistency & Reliability

Apple provides quality control by overseeing it's hardware and writing it's own Operating System that is optimized for those configurations.

NO Windows box maker does this.

The hardware comes from whoever, the generic OS is made by the third party Microsoft [and which version of the OS?] which TRIES [and all too often fails miserably] to accomodate all these configurations, and the ten's of thousands of Windows applications [who cares? If most users use less than twenty primary app's [that usually are available for the Mac anyway] are mostly poorly written, bargain basket junk, that crashes your system.

You want games, get a console.

You want a computer that works...CONSISTENTLY...get a Mac.

Apple also creates quality applications to accompany its quality hardware and OS.

Final Cut Pro has become the industry standard for professional editing in just a couple of years! It's so respected that it won an Emmy just this past year.

Apple is a company who's reputation is based on reliability which stems from its quality control.