A Campaign Gore Can't Lose

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 21, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wash post

i do mean to see this film.

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I really wonder how much difference a Gore Presidency would've made with regards to global warming. Sure, we would of signed Kyoto, but many of our systemic contributions to Global Warming as a populace seem beyond the power of a President in our current political system to curb.

I think this is an important movie - and will engage people - temporarily. Then we will go back to life as usual, feeling smarter and allaying our guilt, just by having watched it and discussed it with our friends.

I believe, sadly, that it will take something truly catastrophic, or a series of such events, to really provoke people to insist on meaningful change.

A series of super-hurricanes might do it, but they could possibly be blamed on something else. I think we might have to wait until:

- Summers are so consistently hot (and long), that it taxes our energy system, which would create an odd pairing of interests to solve underlying problems.

- Part of the US becomes submerged. Hard to argue why that happened. If it happens to be Florida, this will also change electoral politics enough to get a Democrat in the WH - an added bonus.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Anytime I hear "Global Warming" and "Al Gore" in the same thought, global warming just loses some of it's credit. I just think of Richard Lindzen, the MIT professor who accused Gore of bullying him at a congressional hearing because Lindzen does not believe in the alarmist view of global warming. Is global warming a problem? I have no idea, but IMO Al Gore just doesn't seem like the best spokesperson.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I'm totally seeing this film - I expect a lot of people to get a wee bit more serious over this issue...

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

7. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

don't mean to be rude, but i think you're a few years behind in the global warming 'debate': there is no significant scientific questioning anymore on the fact the the earth IS warming up, and very little doubting that we (humans) are a significant factor in it. how big of a problem and what can be done about it are clearly still unanswered questions, but -if anything- the scientific community, has moved to a much more 'extreme' view of the probable effects in the short/medium term. So, you might not like Gore personally, but that doesn't mean he wasn't right all along.

oh, and there is no campaign that gore can't lose, even when he wins ;)

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thanks, While Bush & the Republicans ignore the Hurricanes,the Glaciers,the Tornadoes, the Scientist reports, the people are taking notice. Good trailer.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I agree.

Most research points to humans as the main cause, but there is enough research against this that it is worth continuing the research.

Actually, some of the world's top scientists, while in the minority, are still undecided on how big of a problem it is. Google for Richard Lindzen and you'll get some info.

Also, I'm not saying Global Warming isn't a problem. I'm not even saying it isn't a huge problem. I'm saying that Gore is known to have bullied scientists during Congressional hearings because they didn't see global warming as big of a problem as Gore. While I don't deny global warming and in general I actually like Gore, when the two come together thy both lose some credit in my book.

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

if you want an indication of how (un)certain lindzen is that temperatures will decline in 20 years, look here.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I agree, it doesn't mean he wasn't bullied by Gore for his beliefs.

12. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Can't wait to see this one!

Concern(real) for the environment is quickly becoming one of the main issues I demand in a candidate.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The last year has seen a lot of scientists change their opinion on the matter. While we will never know to what extent the current climate conditions are due to natural causes, there can be and is very little doubt that humans are having an extremely negative impact on global climate.

If it weren't for Gore, there wouldn't be anyone out there stumping for the need to change our destructive habits. He provides a necessary counterpoint to the oil companies. Dismissing Gore simply because he supposedly bullied a scientist is sort of silly when you think of the gravity of the situation.

14. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This issue is one of the reasons I would enthusiastically support a Gore run for President in 2008. I have this "strange" admiration of people who speak truth to power. Funny I would find it in the person of Al Gore - the almost President. What would the world be like if we had finished counting the ballots in Florida? At least we wouldn't have an energy and environmental policy written by the Oil companies.

15. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i most definitively think it's worth researching and i am fairly familiar with Lindzen's positions. Enough to recognize that, while remaining basically skeptic, he modified his own position in the last couple of years, that his position are becoming less and less supported by the rest of the scientific community (including many former collaborators) and that some of the testable prediction of his 'antagonists' (i.e. hansen) were proven correct, while his were not.

16. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i saw his film this afternoon. a good piece, i thought, if not preaching to the choir. a lot of the content was known to me, but i wasn't aware of how much acceleration we've seen just in the last few years.

i'd be interested in the post-viewing opinions of any global warming skeptics who could manage sitting through it.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think the target audience really will be people who already accept global warming who need to be mobilized, and people who are fence-sitters on the issue who need to be convinced.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Might be enough. There's a backlash against Bush and the neocons right now that's been building for awhile. If they and the oil companies are so against raising the issue of global warming, trying to knock the film and even any talk of it, I know I'm suddenly interested. I wasn't really before, because I, like a lot of Americans, didn't think about it. The recent weather helps us think maybe something is up too.

May fool the already fooled, and most people still won't care, but it certainly has opened up a few eyes, which is all is really has to do.