A case of "Dude, get a mac"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Wardofsky, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Obviously a message to windowz users, but read the bit about installing more memory.

I agree totally, I have to get an expert to unscrew the screws on my iMac...

Attached Files:

2. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

are you talking about one of the original iMacs? i had similar problems with stripping the screws. the trick is to use a dremel tool to convert the screw from that weird kind of philips they use to a flat headed one, or to just cut the head off it entirely. be sure to cover up any vents while doing this as sparks are generated in large amounts. dont worry about the plastic clip that falls off when you take the drive assembly out, its a warrenty related indicator. Only one RAM slot is readily accessable when the drive is out.(the other one is under the board, have a tech do this for you) when putting it back together, just use different screws, so that a normal screwdriver will work next time.(just a hint, a magnetic screwdriver is useful for the outer screws, as they are prone to falling into the machine.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

The first computer I installed RAM on was A rev. D orig iMac.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I agree the iMac isn't easy to work on...but it's not impossible...

I've taken apart a couple...one being the original...w/trayload cd....

needed a diagram to do it...but was a snap ;)

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Yeah, pretty much. It isn't remotely hard until you have to put everything back together.

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

just a little bit of finesse... ;)

7. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

the biggest pain in my rev. c was getting the colored plate back on after all the reassembly was done. It never fit right, it just didnt stretch far enough. not a huge issue though. the biggest mistake i made was sending it to compusa for an installation in the RAM slot under the mother board. i got it back and they had lost all the screws, failing to get replacements that fit properly. also, they hadnt seated the assembly correctly so the cd drive kept buzzing until i figured it out.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

There is nothing special or difficult in installing ram into an early iMac it just takes patience and the screws are a standard #2 phillips. It's just difficult in comparison to one of the newer towers starting with the B/W G3s.

Now if you're really up to a challenge upgrade the ram and vram in a 8500 or 9500 series computer. First step is removing the mother board. Which is a lot harder then it sounds and always the risc of screwing the pooch totally by damaging it. I personally did 4 times on my 8500 without a hitch but it took me about an hour to do it each time with a lot of sweat on the brow.

Another difficult one was my 7100 wich required yo remove the powersupply and hard drive and complete carrier unit for same just to get to the ram.

Another real surgery was adding ram to my dads Powerbook 530c.