A Cause Worthy of a Contribution

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: A Cause Worthy of a Contribution

You know whats relaly abd about AOL, is that recently they haven't just been sending out CD's, they've been sending them in aluminum containers. How many resources have to be used just to send a free hours I'm not going to use.

3. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Aww man! If they stop sending the promos, what will we use for office frisbees?! :(

But seriously, I think this a good idea. Those "free" CDs are a total waste of time, money, and resources. And the product sucks to add insult to injury....

4. macrumors 6502a

beez7777

its fun when you throw them really hard against a wall and see the pieces fly all over the place, and as hemingray said, the make excellent frisbees. :) anybody know their website?

5. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The latest issue of Mad Magazine has a great spoof AOL ad, announcing new features something like these:

"Now gives you a three second warning before disconneting you for no reason."

"Now prevents pedophiles from entering chat rooms with the new 'I am not a pedophile' button."

"Upgrade to version 9.0 now so you'll be ready to upgrade to version 10.0 when we release it in three weeks!"

I don't think they made fun of the endless promotional CDs, however. Maybe AOL should switch to CD-RWs, so we could reuse them like we did with the floppy disks they used to send.

6. macrumors G4

I just got one in the mail today, ugh.:rolleyes:
    Came in this nice metal case though.:)

7. macrumors 65816

Nipsy

They make nice short range skeet...

8. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

9. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Well...

CNN is part of AOLTimeWarner... :rolleyes: ;)

10. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They did post the link. It is halfway down the page, in the RELATED box.

11. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Check out the pictures they have on the site.. some arre just CRAZY! One guy covered his whole room with the AOL CDs! AHHH!

irmongoose

12. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

actually the tins make good stash boxes, the brits can confirm that they hold a lot of "skins". i don't mind getting the ones in DVD cases, because the cases are good for giving CD-Rs to clients, etc... print up your own label, they're more substancial than jewel cases.

but it's about time someone thought of an idea like this... i'll definitely be participating...

:)
    pnw

13. macrumors 65816

ejb190

I used to use them as wall decorations before I moved a while back. But I never had near enough to cover the walls! Sheesh...

14. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've been saving leftover CDs (both AOL and others) instead of throwing them out so I can recycle them "properly" someday. But I don't know what "properly" means, so they keep piling up. Does anyone recycle these things? I have at least 1000.

15. macrumors 603

Oh, man. I got one of those sh*tdisks with my free copy of Entertainment mag.

I don't understand how sending them back is a promotion. But this I find pretty funny:

"You're wasting a lot of natural resources," said landfill manager Janet Schnyder. "You're causing pollution and you're basically sending something that people don't want."