A choice, new GC or Console?

Discussion in 'Games' started by RobHague, Nov 10, 2005.

1. RobHague macrumors 6502

Jul 8, 2005
    Might be a situation for a few people id imagine.

You have a Mac (or PC even) and you need a new Graphics Card to make those games look and run better... do you spend £200-£300 on a new Graphics Card or grab a next-gen console like the Xbox 360? This is especially relivent for Mac users, with the uncertainty of how well things are going to be with the Intel/PPC thing possibly putting of potential ports... and the lack of really graphicaly intensive games too (we got Doom3 at least, fingers crossed) of course if you will require the graphics card for something other than games (something vital and work related) that works in favour of the GC -- but Mac users will have an interesting choice when that 7800 GT arrives, improve their mac gaming performance or jump on board the 360.

Just a passing thought.. :cool:
  2. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    If you want to play games the 360 is going to be a much better option, it doesn't matter how good a graphics card you have in your Mac there still are bugger all games. ;)
  3. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

Sep 6, 2005
    Bath, UK
    Save your money and get a PS3 :p

Though actually if your an xbox fan then go for a 360 rather than a new graphics card.
  4. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I'd opt for the Gamecube. for a miniscule amount you get a fantastic almost load-free console, chances are it will have zero problems and last you a hell of a long time (vintage NES and GB in working condition? check.). the only reason to get a new console is because its new. but at the same time you're paying the premium because of that. this time next year the 360 will be cheaper and have a lot more games.

If your not a gamer per se go for the 360. It hasn't been launched yet, there won't be many games - even fewer good games.

it was here I realised that GC means graphics card.

in that case I dont know what you should do. if you were using a PC id say get a nice powerful video card and play a lot of HL2 or whatever. I think powerful video cards are available for mac for the single reason of powerful videos and images along. its age old, but I just cant see a strong gaming ground for the Mac.

360. I'd go for that. You won't have to wait for a PS3/Rev and it'll be cheaper than the PS3.
  5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    I'd go for the xbox 360 as it is the console that will have the best PC like games and it has the best online play....

As previously mentioned a great graphics card on a mac will still leave you a great deal behind a 360 in terms of gaming,

6. denial macrumors regular

Jun 3, 2005
    If you are feeling rich get in line for a 360. If you are more frugal get an original xbox (price reduction coming soon methinks) and modify it with a few nice bits and bobs (mod chip, 120gig drive).