A Christmas lighting question

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I never thought about it when we bought a pre-lit Christmas tree last year, but when you buy such a tree, you're sort of married to the color scheme (in our case, all white) for a long time. What if, after a period of years, you decide you're tired of all-white lights? You could replace every lamp in the tree, but that would be ridiculously time-consuming. Re-stringing the tree would be even worse.

I do remember seeing something in a store last year that I thought was a very clever idea: little colored "caps" that you could place over your existing mini-lights, to convert them into a different color or style. Some of these caps even had a faceted, "jewel" effect. Now that I could see doing.

Trouble is, I haven't seen anything like that this year, in any store. I can't even find them online. I'd love to know that somebody carries them, so that, a few years down the line, I can change the look of our Christmas tree if I want to.

Anybody seen anything like this, or know where they can be gotten?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Buy a real tree. Biodegradeable and renewable. Those plastic ones are an environmental nightmare. Plus you get the advantage of being able to decorate it any way you see fit. (Personally I always thought it was a little disrespectful to bend an angel over and shove a branch up her ass, but that's just me.)

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not an option. My wife has extremely bad allergies. We can't even keep plants in the house.

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

lol, never saw like that before :eek: ;)

You can always get an artifical tree, despite the enviromental issue. IMO, there just not the same as a real tree mainly cuz you don't get that smell. But since your wife has algergies, that may be the best way to go. You can still decorate it as though it were real though, but no water required :D

5. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Gee . . . We live in such a "diverse" society now. Shouldn't you be asking about "Holiday Lights" instead?

Totally kidding!! :D

6. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, let me reiterate....

We have an artificial, pre-lit tree. What I'm wondering about is the fact that there's no easy way to change the lighting on it, outside of these little accessories I mentioned.

I take it no one else has seen them in stores either, then?

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Isn't it funny how a thread can take on a life of its own, from the very first response. :p

My wife keeps the lights on like a pre-lit tree. But she forbids anything but the clear lights.

Is this what you are looking for?

Take heart, though. My understanding is that the lights on a pre-lit tree don't last too long, so as you replace them, you can change them then. :rolleyes:

8. dotnina macrumors 6502a

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

That's what we call 'em. No joke. It also is driving force that we are not Christian...

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's it!

I guess it was all in the wording. I searched for "Christmas light caps" and got nothing except the standard light strings.

Thanks! They're pretty cheap, too. Nice to know that when we get tired of the tree as it is, we'll be able to change it easily.

Hey, those are interesting ideas too. Thanks for the suggestions.

11. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

That was the point of my joke. You should be able to call them whatever makes sense to you, regardless of any "political correctness" trends out there. :)

12. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You're in trouble. This is the 21st-century United States. Everybody has to be Christian. ;)

(Political forum, here we come. :D )

13. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

What is the holiday that you are celebrating?

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

actually, we're celebrating a pagan festival, christians just happen to have rescheduled Christmas (from April, i believe) to cover it up, because they didn't like it. Do a bit of research.

Never, ever buy pre-lit trees. Here's why. The average artificial christmas tree gets between 8-15 years use (or 30, in the case of your Aunt Martha who just loves that aluminum thing). Christmas lights are meant for 1-3 years of use. The wiring is very cheap, the lamps are shoddy, the connections are too loose to depend on. This is without exception. So ask yourself, how pretty will the tree be, in 5 years when we have to string a second set of lights on it? Those pre-lit strings do not come off, without damaging the tree at least.

At thanksgiving I had to repair my mother-in-law's pre-lit tree. 3 years old... last year, only half of the tree was lit. I got it all lit again, through hours of drunken bulb-testing... not something she, or most people, would have done.

so, save yourself a few bucks, and spend that extra 10-minutes every year putting lights on the tree. If/when the lights die, you're only out $1.99.

paul

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

WHO EVER SAID THAT CHRISTIANS DIDN'T MOVE IT, IT IS VERY WELL KNOWN!!!!!!

I just wasn't aware of the PAGAN CHRIST MAS TREE!!!!!

If one is saying, HAPPY HOLIDAY, I thought I would ask WHICH holiday! Duh!

Relax Paul, have a happy pagan holiday! :) May your 21st at approx 7:41 pm est be wonderful and fulfilling!

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

thanks, but i'm not pagan myself :)

http://www.fun.co.nz/apexpines/christmas_info/treehistory.htm

that's a pretty standard assessment. It wasn't until a few centuries ago that the trees were made a direct part of the Christian celebration... before that, they were pagan too.

But anyway, this tangent started with the idea that "christmas" is being replaced with "holiday". what's wrong with that? it's more inclusive, and a thus a sound business decision. it's no danger to your precious religion, folks... move along.

and my point is, whether it's a pagan tree or a jesus tree, don't buy a pre-lit one :)

paul

17. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Hanukkah. There are about 5 different ways to spell it in English, but this is the way OS X's spell checker seems to like it. But we put up holiday lights because the rest of our block does, and they look pretty. :D

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well I hope it is Happy, and fun. Sorry I'm not up on the correct spelling, so looked it up. For any like me who are not as up on it, here is what was in ms word.....

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

It is no danger to my Christianity. There is nothing wrong with it, and it is more inclusive. I prefer to say Merry Christmas, not only because it is how I feel, but it is my way of declaring my beliefs.
    And I have no problem with Federated's more inclusive statement.

20. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

forgive me if i'm wrong, but i always thought that the best part of christmas was decorating the tree..

..or is that just in corny films from the '90's? i dunno, dont do it myself :)

speaking of christmas, the house opposite mine has put a giant inflatable santa on their roof. Oh, the temptation to throw a broken bottle D ;) :eek:

21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Wow, thats a pretty skimpy definition. I like the various methods of spelling, though. Hehe.

Hanukkah is a holiday that does not original from the Torah. (aka Old Testament, aka, 5 Book of Moses, aka The Bible) It comes during the Syrian occupation of Israel, when the Syrians were not being so nice to the Jews. They forced Jews to convert or die, and worship other gods. Someone took issue to this. Actually, many people did, but this guy was the one that lived to actually do what he wanted to do. The rest were killed ancient hit-man style. Anywhoo. This guy was named Judah and he led a revolt. After the Syrians ran away/stopped messing with the Jewish people Judah 'Macabee' (hammer) had everyone rebuild the temple. Part of Jewish synagogues is something called the "Eternal Light" which is a flame that always is lit. They couldn't find more than a day's worth of olive oil left in the temple, and it would take 7 days to make more oil. So they light the flame with the little bit of oil, and guess what? Miracle of Miracles, it lasts long enough to make the oil.

That's the short version from memory. Wikipedia has an article on it. Take it as you will, I didn't really read it. :)

22. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I don't even like putting up a tree. I do it for the kids. I hate stringing lights up, I can't stand getting out all the decorations. Bleh.

23. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Surely a labor of love! My wife and I have an agreement, I put up the tree and string the lights, she does the decorating and un-decorating. It is a lot of work no matter how you slice it, but holiday music, a fire, and cold beer make it go better.

24. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

If I had a place for a fire, that's where the tree would go :p Of course, that's if I had my way (which doesn't usually happen) :D

25. sgarringer macrumors regular

i'm sure that there is some sort of way you could mix some paint and just dab it on the bulbs...