A chunk of my city dissappeared on apple maps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heyitsfez, Feb 2, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Hello all, my Apple Maps were working fine until yesterday when I opened it real quick to check an address when it suddenly did not load a large part of my city, I live in Austin TX and so far I've tried closing and reopening the app, even "Reset all settings" thinking it would clear the map cache, which so far I haven't found a way to do either. The 3D buildings and points of interest load fine, but the roads and streets don't show up. I can still however search in the disappeared section and it'll give me directions, but I just can't see the street name. Attached is a screenshot of what I mean. Hope you guys can help me out, thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. thread starter macrumors member

Here is another screenshot. This issue appears on both "standard" "hybrid" and satellite modes

Attached Files:

3. macrumors G5

jav6454

Just download Google Maps application. Seriously.

4. macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

5. macrumors 68000

Have you tried a hard reset? I dont see that box when i type Austin, TX on Maps...its perfectly fine for me...you try a hard reset ?

Hold lock and home button until iPhone completly shuts off

6. macrumors P6

Peace

Try letting the map download all the way. I noticed on you screen grab the little twirling icon was still I'm the middle of downloading .

From Apple maps : your same location

Attached Files:

7. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

i just checked it too. that whole section of the map loaded perfectly fine on my iphone 5 on verizon.

8. macrumors 601

There was a place I don't remember where you can tell Apple the problem. Apple is actively seeking corrections of its map from its users.

9. macrumors 6502

Marrakas

What is there to correct? The map just hasn't downloaded properly.

10. macrumors G3

Renzatic

11. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

in the maps app, theres a "report a problem" button.

12. thread starter macrumors member

I did a hard reset(holding lock/home buttons) to no avail. I left the phone sitting for 5 minutes to see if it would load, but it didn't. I'm gonna try to do a restore, which was something I didn't want to have to do, I'll see how this goes. The area missing appears to be square-shaped.

Attached Files:

13. macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Why are you doing a restore ?
    The Maps are in the cloud, not on the phone.
    Also, the hard reset you just did was pointless. Just like the restore you are about to do.

14. thread starter macrumors member

They are in the cloud, I just haven't found a way to clear the map cache that is on my device. If you turn on airplay mode, you can still browse the cache that is saved on your device before turning off data