a CoD Dilemma...

Discussion in 'Games' started by OwlsAndApples, Oct 17, 2006.

1. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Having just made the switch to a (bottom end i.e. 17", 512mb, C1D) iMac I seriously miss my fave pc game CoD. My question is whether I should buy CoD1 (though i dont think it's universal) and have it run nice and sweetly, or CoD2 and have it laggy (but have a nice newish game).

Are there still loads of people on the CoD1 servers?

thanks

2. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

You should try out the CoD2 demo, and see how it runs, It goes pretty well on my Macbook on lower settings, with integrated graphics but 1GB Ram.

Even CoD2 in lowest settings looks better than CoD 1 IMHO, but if the demo doesn't work, I suggest going for CoD1

3. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I personally like the gameplay in the expansion of CoD:UO compared to CoD2. In 2, a lot of stuff was left out: sprint, vehicles, base assault; so I feel like the game is more like vanilla CoD1.

As for servers, there are still plenty alive. A quick search found about 1000 CoD servers, 1500 UO servers, and 3500 COD2 servers. There are still a lot of people playing CoD 1 so you really don't have to worry about that.

Performance wise, I don't have a Intel Mac so i can't tell you how well CoD1 runs under Rosetta, but on my PowerMac I can have all the settings maxed out and play. If I try to play CoD2, everything pretty much is set to minimum. CoD 2 is a very graphics intensive, but the gameplay isn't there for me.

Until the UB patch for CoD1 is released, I suggest adding more ram to you system. It will really help with applications that have to run under Rosetta.

4. OwlsAndApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Thanks for the advice, i downloaded the demo of CoD2 (it took ages gees...) it runs perfectly until you reach the part with flak '88, then it all lags up. I'll probably buy the gold edition of CoD1 due to the familiarity and the immense base assault.
    I've been thinking of getting a ram upgrade- it'll help with Garageband as well :cool:

Btw, I hope this isn't a completely n00b question, but how do you aim down the sight on a one button mouse? is it ctrl + click?

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Strange, it shouldn't lag… I've played the demo several times through that part without any. *shrugs*

6. astewart macrumors member

I would recommend checking out COD 2 still. Your CD iMac should have no problems running the game with the Settings even on Medium.

7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

To play CoD1 in this manner you will have to hold down Command when you start the game. Then a window should open that will allow you to choose that option. An alternative to that is if you got a Mighty Mouse with your system you can enable two button functionality by going to System Preferences and changing the mouse settings.

8. OwlsAndApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Hmmm...decisions decisions...

Ah, hadn't realised that, thanks.

I'll give the CoD2 demo another go, I probaby had some app open which i didn't notice. While my Amazon order is pocessed I'll just keep to the free Wolfenstein I found in another thread here.
    Thanks all!, Owls+Apples

9. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

i had the exact same problem! (the mouse one that is :))

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I just downloaded the CoD2 demo and I'm STUNNED at how well it runs on my G4 tower....depite having a 1.4GHZ CPU and 133MHz bus I was able to get acceptable (for me) FPS numbers @ 1680x1050 with the other settings turned down. There were a couple slow spots, but considering the minimum sys reqs (1.8GHz G5, 2.0GHz reccomended) I'm very happy and will be buying the full version. My video card helps a lot but I didn't expect that kind of performance.

If I were you I'd go with CoD2.

11. OwlsAndApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Glad I wasn't on my own with that! :)

Annoyingly, Amazon's dispatch may take a while...