a compact USB network adapter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cygni, Mar 23, 2005.

1. cygni macrumors regular

cygni

Haven't been able to find any that are mac compatible.
    I need one that's 802.11b and under $40. Any recommendation's?

edited to add I can also use 802.11g

2. AlephNull macrumors member

AFAIK, this is the only mac-compatible WiFi USB adapter. Drivers are a bit finicky i hear... Heres the link.

Clicky

3. phonemonkey macrumors regular

Only buy that Dlink dwl-122 adapter unless you absolutely need to. They advertise 10.2 and up for its mac compatibility. I caught it on sale at Best Buy for 30 bucks and they had a Netgear for $60. Against the salesman's advice (my local bestbuy has horrible mac salesmen) I get the "deal" and take it home. It installs, had to do a little bit of tweaking, but no major problems. I went online and started downloading os x updates and while I was waiting I went to get a bite to eat. I come back and my screen saver was on. I wake it up and my entire computer had frozen. I restarted and I am online again, so I surf and after 20 minutes I had no connection. After recreating the situation I realize that the screen saver, going into sleep mode, or extended browsing would either make me lose my internet connection and / or freeze the entire system. So being the career tech I am, I realize that dlink's support will not have mac experts if I call them and I google for a different driver. I found a 3rd party updated driver, which Fixed the problem of my system freezing after an extended period of time, but the sys. still freezes after sleep. Performance is noticeably better, and STILL sucks ass. I also at this point lose all but 20k of my upload speed after 10 MB of upload or 15 minutes of activity. My download speed also drops approx. 60-75% under the same circumstances. A call to Dlink confirmed my suspicions, that their product support sucks and they discontinued support for that product and Mac. They also have no plans to update drivers. I hope this helps you avoid buying this horrible product.

4. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Me too, I bought a refurbished DWL-122 from TigerDirect for $20.00 and after installing and tweaking it, it freezes up my system. So I'm going to return it and shop for an Airport Card (which goes for around $70.00 at ebay) for my eMac.

5. cygni thread starter macrumors regular

cygni

Thank you AlephNull,
    but I have seen all of those brands in the store and most are not compatible. but thanks. :)

Thank you Phonemonkey and Noel4r,
    I was leaning towards the dlink 122. glad you guys posted about it and yea i know their customer service suckS. :)

6. AlephNull macrumors member

Haha, whoops. That link was supposed to go straight to the D-Link 122... My mistake.

7. noel4r macrumors 6502a

8. cygni thread starter macrumors regular

cygni

Thanks Noel4r,
    that one is cool, but I am actually looking for something about the size of a usb flash drive; something i could hang on my key chain if so desired.
    they're very difficult to find, like you I may just have to buy an airport card. Thank you again. :)