A complaint about Quatz Extreame

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Mr Jobs, May 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

I want to make a complaint about Apple computer and their products

Because my 16MB ATI RAGE does not support the resolution of 2048x2048 and my friends 32MB GeForce3 does.

I want to complain that my ATI RAGE does not run Quake faster then my friends 32MB GeForce3…hey what’s the deal here?

I want to complain that my consumer iBook that I bought last week does not run as fast as friends PowerMac which he bought last year…hey I brought mine one year later then his, mine should be faster…damn you Apple.

I want to complain that my iBook’s that I bought last week G3 chip does not take advantage of the Alti-Vec in most new applications…it’s not fair, my friends PowerMac G4 does and it a year old.

I want apple to hold back QE and release in one year later so that way when they release it, all of Apples current hardware would support it…because if I cant have it no one can have it.

I don’t care if I paid less for a consumer product I want it to perform just as much and just as fast as my friends pro product which he paid two to three times more then me.

Damn you Apple…Damn you:D :D :D :D :D

2. Paolo macrumors regular

I agree

Infact I'm going to go one step further... apple why don't you just stop making stuff... because then we can all buy the best stuff and everyones happy, no one's mac ever gets out dated... it'll be an Apple golden age

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, real funny if in fact you had just shelled out 3,000$ and two weeks later your system isn't enough for the recommended requirements. I do agree that Apple must move forward, and sometimes there are growing pains, but man, you don't have to be so harsh about it.

4. Mr Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

No, Backtothemac what you don’t understand is QE is a totally new technology, it’s never been done before in any operating system which is why in need the latest and the greatest hardware.

And the latest and greatest hardware can only be found on current pro products not the consumer products, why cant people understand that. There is a reason why pro machines are usually 2 to 3 times more in cost then the consumer line up…which has last years pro technology. So don’t think just because you just brought you consumer iBook today, it will have today’s technology in it.

Now if my $3000 powermac which I just brought didn’t support the current OS X minimum requirements then I’d me mad. But I’m tanking about QE here nothing else, I pis*sed off at the people who are moaning about the fact that their iBooks they just brought doesn’t support QE.

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Hey, I hear you, and I agree on some of what you said, but the fact is that the iMac, and eMac both have the min. requirements, and they are consumer line. The fact is that Apple has known about this for a long time, and some people are upset over the min requirements because they just bought their systems. There is no reason for you to be pissed about it, just let people vent. That is all they are doing. They are not attacking you, Apple, or anyone you know, so just let em B*tch.

:D

6. Mr Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

Backtothemac

Maybe it’s just me but I hate people who moan about silly things, (and maybe I’m doing it here myself) especially when is stops us moving forward.

But in relay to the eMac and iMac have the supported cards and not the iBook. Well the Powermac has a 64MB GeForce 4 the PowerBooks only 32MB Radeon, Desktops always had the upper hand then their laptop counterparts in hardware…that’s the norm.

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I think they have a perfectly valid reason for b*tching. How would you like it if you bought an iBook and find out that the next version of OS X can't fully utilize the hardware you paid for?

Me on the other hand, owning a first model G4, I have no valid reason to b*tch. I know my hardware's outdated (PCI graphics, no less!). So while I'm not happy about it, I understand that my computer is going on three years old.

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Well, it's a fine line...

Would people be happier if Apple didn't released Quartz Extreme? and just stayed with regular Quartz?

It's not like it doesn't work at all on older Macs... it just defaults to "standard" Quartz

arn

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Exactly... the key is to not be one of those unlucky people who buy just before a big breakthrough. :D

I learned my lesson good back in the first days of the G4 PCI...

10. Mr Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

Hemingray

I wouldn’t complain if my iBook that I just brought today didn’t support all the latest features, and I’ve already answered that…read my first post or maybe you didn’t have enough sense to understand it in the first place that’s why your asking me that stupid question.

Well you know that they say if at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try…

p.s your the kind of people i'm moaning about

11. Inhale420 macrumors regular

i'll take your mac since it's so obsolete. i guess the spoiled kids whine the most. i can't even dream to own a new mac.

g4 400 here. for at least a couple more years and i'm fine with it.

12. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Nobody wants to stop you from moving forward. They just don't want to get left behind when you do. I think the complaints are for the most part quite valid. ONE WEEK before the Quartz Extreme announcement, Apple's top of the line PRO laptop - the 667MHz PowerBook G4 - did not meet the QE requirements.

I bought my PBG4 last Christmas, so it was 5 months old when QE was announced. Yet I still feel a bit bitter, not because I don't want Apple to move forward, but because I paid $2300 to be left in the dust so soon. I can only imagine how the 667MHz PowerBook owners feel - Apple made approximately a $1k net profit off of each of them, and only gave them 16MB of video memory in the top-end machine even when the Mobility Radeon supported 32MB and adding 32MB of video memory to the unit would have cost Apple $20 at most. I mean, the video memory should have at least been upgradeable...

Alex

13. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, first off, no one is crying about anything. Just having an intelligent discussion about a topic that we feel strongly about. As for sparking the match, not all of us are spoiled kids. In fact, if you look at our bios, most are hard working professionals, or students. Don't give yourself a rep here as a flamethrower.

14. Mr Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

alex_ant

I take it you’re on of those who I’ve labelled ‘QE-Moaners’,

You see you like to moan so much you lose you sense of logic…why don’t you cheek the specs on the apple web site http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/ and you will see that your stupid 5 month old TiBook which you paid $2300 will run QE. Believe me $2300 is nothing we pay way more here in the UK so be happy with what you have.

“*nVidia: GeForce2MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 Ti, GeForce4 or GeForce4MX. ATI: any AGP Radeon card. 32MB VRAM recommended for optimum performance.”

Notice the words “any AGP Radeon card”. If you people (QE-moaners) will stop moaning for once please…Be happy with what you have because the man who looks into the mirror and sees nothing but himself is the most happiest, remember there are people who would love to own a TiBook QE or no QE.

No one has even come with even one creditable argument against my opinion...why, read my signature. Because what i say IS

15. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I noticed those words. I also noticed the words "32MB VRAM recommended for optimum performance." That applies to all cards. My Radeon, and the Radeon of the buyer of the 667MHz TiBook three weeks ago, both have 16MB, and it is not upgradeable.

Okay, so basically regardless of what I paid for my computer, regardless of when I bought it, regardless of the fact that it is a pro-level machine with non-upgradeable VRAM, I should "be happy with it because there are people who would love to own a TiBook QE or no QE," nevermind the fact that I could have purchased an Intel laptop with the same performance for half the price, and nevermind the fact that it and others like it - machines incapable of running QE optimally - were sold literally up to the week before QE was announced. I don't understand.

Wow. Everyone always says Steve Jobs is an *******. I guess they're right!

Alex

16. Mr Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

Yes your 16MB wouldn't perform as good as one with a 32MB, just like a 32MB graphics card wouldn't perform as good as a 64MB, Just as your 667Mhx TiG4 wont perform as good as the 800Mhz TiG4 so what’s you point. Do you thing people with 32MB Geforce3 should complain because the 64MB Geforce4 will perform QE better then their 32MB GF3.

I would like to see you try and purchase a Wintel Laptop as powerful as a TiBook. A 2Ghz Pentium 4 is as good as a 800Mhz G4. but did you know that the laptops don’t use the normal P4 but a mobility chip which is almost half the power then it desktop counter-part. The 800Mhz G4 would Pis* on the P4 2Ghz Mobility. Plus show me a wintel laptop which is 1” thin with built-in CDR/DVD, wireless networking, 32MB Radeon, Gigabit Ethernet, Wide-screen made using CP1 pure Titanium. Never mind all the hardware, show me a Wintel laptop which last longer then 2.5 hours even on battery saving mode, none. Not ver mobile if you laptop wont come on. Go home and do your research, before you argue with someone who is technically more advanced and knowledgeable the you.

QE was only announced not released, moreover it was announced to it's developers not the public. QE still has a good 3-4 months before release. It nothing like apple released a software that doesn't work on it's hardware a week ago.

Who said anything about 'Steve Jobs' Apple CEO...again shows you lack of intelligence dumba**, There are millions of 'Smiths', 'Harry' and 'Jones' in this world where in the blue hell do you see the word 'Steve' in my name.

Dumb Wank**s like you should not be allowed out

17. zed macrumors 6502

think about how i feel...

ive got a powerbook G3 333, how am I supposed to run Quartz Extreme??

4 years is just too soon to upgrade, im sorry but come on... jeez

actually, hopefully ill be able to upgrade soon since im about to graduate, and possibly get a real job that pays real money. :)

18. Paolo macrumors regular

STOP COMPLAINING

Look why are you bothering telling everyone else that wasted you money on a low end consumer product, and you wish it to run the OS not designed from it!
    This brings about the rumors sites, if you had of been reading there was alot of speculation about OS 10.2, and if you had half a brain, then you would have thought, 'maybe I should wait and see what OS 10.2 is like before I go and buy the hardware'
    But here's a good suggestion, why don't you buy all the software that's out NOW wait two years, then get the Hardware for it and it'll run reaaaaalllly smoothly and then you don't have to complain about anything!!!!!!!!!!

19. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

amen to that. G3 450, and you don't hear me complain.
    I'm also looking up to use this system for at least another year, before I can even start thinking of upgrading.
    I don't care, my mac is a great machine, and the user experience I get from it, exceeds the winblows at work with a couple hundred lightyears.....

20. jipper macrumors newbie

agree to disagree

hey guys and gals,
    I agree with most of what has been said here, and can see both sides of the argument (note: I am not usually a fence-sitter).
    I too find it aggrevating when people whinge for the sake of whinging.
    But, c'mon guys you must feel like the people that have just bought a new TiBook deserve to be able to run OS X at full potential. It seems that apple have really prodded some sharp objects up these guys' anal canals.
    As for the statement about being happy to own a TiBook--they are, and I'm sure you would be too--but it's hardly too much to ask for them to be up to date with upcoming OS releases at least 6 months from purchase date. I'm sure if YOU owned a TiBook you'd be whinging too.
    I have a 300MhZ Blueberry iBook, I'm grateful it can run OS X at all. So no complaints for me, but TiBook users--- I feel your pain!!!
    Bring on the Jag...
    Tim.

21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Opinions are what they are...and nothing more. One person's belief doesn't make it real in this world.

That said, if you want to call me a QE-moaner (guess what my sig means), go ahead. The first impression given by Apple is that they are saying to customers "We've got new software coming out, now buy new hardware to make it perform at its best". I'm sorry, but that's the kind of stuff MS gets in trouble for.

Many of us Mac faithful expected at least a System Preferences pane to let us turn off the the eye candy to make OS X run smoother on older systems. Did they choose to give us that option? At this time, it appears not. It looks like they have chosen instead to use hardware acceleration to gain performance increases. As far as the technology behind QE (or QuartzGL, as some call it) goes, I'm very excited to see it in action. I'm not happy that I won't see it on my current machine (rev a TiBook).

What I've been saying for a while is that the people who have systems that meet the requirements seem to be thumbing their noses at the rest of the Mac community. So, Mr Jobs, what machine do you have? ;)

The fact is, regardless of what anyone says now, we have NO idea how Jaguar will perform on all the systems out there. That IS a fact. I've heard good things about it running better than 10.1 on G3 based systems, but that remains to be proven in the "real world".

And your sig sucks. :p

22. Mr Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

jipper

Come on are you trying to tel;l me that you feel for those 667 TiBook with 16MB graphics owners who are moaning because their laptop wont perform as good and those new TiBook 800Mhz G4 with 32MB graphics.

Because 16MB TiBook is supported by QE one not as good as a 32MB TiBook, just like the 667Mhz TiBook wont performe as good as the 800Mhz TiBook.

If that the case I hate apple because my dual 450G4 wont performe 10.2 as good as my friends dual 1GhzG4.

23. Mr Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

Rower_CPU

"We've got new software coming out, now buy new hardware to make it perform at its best" - Rower_CPU

Well sorry that apple is a business and it’s trying to sell you a new machine so they can make some money. Lets ban all apple adverts because that what they are about, trying to sell you a new machine. Why don’t people get it through their head that apple is a business and businesses need to make money for their shareholders, it that such a crime. It wasn’t founded so it could end world hunger.

"What I've been saying for a while is that the people who have systems that meet the requirements seem to be thumbing their noses at the rest of the Mac community. So, Mr Jobs, what machine do you have? " - Rower_CPU

Cheek my profile I have a G4 450Dual with RAGE 16MB, so there goes that angle, in fact I am going to buy a new machine after 10.2 comes out too take full advantage.

“And your sig sucks.” -Rower_CPU

‘I am a calculating machine’…it other words for you simple small minded people…a calculating machine is a computer, which is what a computer does, calculate. But of course your too simple minded to have figured that out.

24. jipper macrumors newbie

Mr. Jobs it's hardly polite to join a forum site and start flaming the people who have made this site what it is today. Although what you say has some merit... there is absolutely no basis for imagining that people should need to buy a new computer to support an OS revision (.2 is a revision!!). You seem to be the one doing most of the whinging buddy, even if it is about other people whinging!!!
    Just another whinging POM!
    Tim.

25. Mr Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

Jipper

Hey cheek all my posts I’ve only flamed people who have done the same to me first. Cheek my first reply to your post not one negative thing have I said in reference to you. As you have not to me in you post.

“You seem to be the one doing most of the whinging buddy” – Jipper

well look at my third post I’ve already acknowledged that, so whats your point, hell what do you expect i'm British

"...here is absolutely no basis for imagining that people should need to buy a new computer to support an OS revision (.2 is a revision!!)" - – Jipper

.x update doesn't AWAYS mean it is a small one, nor do we even know if it will be called that it might be X.5. rember OS 8.5, it a bigger leap forward then 7-8 or 8-9 and only supported PowerPC Macs

I wont use any negative reference to you in this post despite your little comments because I think you’ve got the wrong guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.