A Complete List of HD Movies on Apple TV for you

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ozodesign, Feb 18, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I come baring what is hopefully a gift which is in demand. At least I know I wanted and couldn't find it.

I am putting together a site called www.appletvjunkie.com. This site will provide thee most current list of HD movies available on Apple TV along with, and this is the most important point as far as i'm concerned, what NEW HD movies have been added on a daily basis. I've looked far and wide and I have yet to find any sort of comprehensive list, so I am taking it upon myself to create it for our Apple TV community.

How many of us have been at work, thinking about a movie to watch for the coming night or weekend, but had no way of either remembering or knowing exactly what HD movies were provided on Apple TV. Well you will now. Remember, this is HD movies only. For a list of current SD movies you can log into the iTunes Store at any time.

I'll do my best to provide any current Apple TV news and I encourage any feedback the community may have.

I know this is a over used term, but, the site is in a kind of Beta mode right now. I am currently using iWeb to produce this site, but, it does have it's limitations. I do hope to move off of it in the near future in favor of something a little more flexible.

So please check out www.appletvjunkie.com when you have a chance. I hope you find it useful.

2. macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Great idea. Don't want to sound too picky but there is nothing under New For This Week. How often is this updated?

3. macrumors member

My assumption is that there really is nothing new this week...at least so far...I know most normal movies and music are released on Tuesday. Does Apple update its offerings on Tuesday too?

The fear in the back of my mind is that Apple is going to let the 100 HD movies stand for a while without adding to the list. That would be really disheartening.

4. macrumors newbie

Off topic as this is about the itunes store in general and not about HD, but I can never seem to find a full list of movies that are for rent. Am I missing a link somewhere? All I see is the short list and then the most rented list.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback.

The reason there is nothing new for this week is because, well, there is nothing new for this week. So far I have found it a bit random when movies are added. Really it's the reason why I came up with the site.

6. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I believe you are missing some. I noticed over the weekend that Resident Evil: Extinction is in HD but not on the Apple TV HD movie list. You have to pull Resident Evil: Extinction from the normal listing to get to the HD version. You might just have a harder job than you think if Apple doesn't even keep their master list up to date...

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Alrighty then, excuse my french, but that sucks. But I am not deterred. With help from fellow Apple TV users like you I will keep moving forward. Thanks!

8. macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your efforts, Eddie. I have bookmarked your page.

Nice look, BTW.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick update

Hi All,

I just wanted to announce a quick update to appletvjunkie.com. We have added new information for each movie title listed including, closed caption info, movie rating and Dolby digital surround sound info. This was based on some initial feedback so please keep the comments coming!

Eddie

10. macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

very cool site. So these are just the HD movies?

Any chance for eventually doing regular movies too? (I wish they just offered everything in HD and SD)

11. macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I''ve bookmarked it. I think you're off to a good start.

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

Currently it is just HD. The reason being is that all SD movies are available to see on the iTunes Store through iTunes as we type, but HD movies are only searchable through Apple TV. Eventually I may add SD movies.

Eddie

13. macrumors 68030

Thanks. I was initially confused as to what DDS meant (eventually guessed it to be Dolby Digital Surround), so you should either provide a legend or use industry standard term (e.g., DD 5.1, AC-3).

14. macrumors 603

roland.g

great idea. But your layout needs work. Hard to read. That is just my opinion. I would start by breaking it down by Genre. Also forget about the rating, audio etc. Again harder to read.

And this might make setup a bit of work, but maintenance wouldn't be so bad afterwards. Do it in a grid layout poster style with the name below, of course as I said by Genre. Posters are easily recognizable.

15. macrumors 6502a

I like it. I want more!

A few questions/observations:

1. I think you are trying to use an Apple logo in many places like in front of the words "TV Junkie", but it shows up as an unknown character in Windows. No big deal, but I thought you might want to know.

2. Is there any way you could make an RSS feed for "This Week's Releases". I probably wouldn't have time to read your blog feed, but I'd definately subscribe to a feed that would tell me in a single sentence when a new release hits Apple TV.

3. Have you thought about turning the list into some sort of community-managed Wiki? I bet it's going to get really old trying to maintain a list of all the latest new releases by yourself (and chances are you'll be busy a lot of days so the list might be slightly out-of-date).

16. thread starter macrumors newbie

Your right nutmac. I'll definitely add the legend and something a little more clear as far as the DDS. I supposed it could mean dentist as well.

Roland.g, this is just my initial version of the site. In the coming weeks I will have a design which should help with readability problems. I had to use iWeb to release a say .5 version of what the site will be.

BoulderBum thanks! I want to do more. All your points are very valid, especially #3. Help is good!

17. macrumors 6502

drumpat01

a word to the wise...

Apple doesn't usually like people using their product names in website names. So, just kinda keep in mind another name just incase you know?

18. macrumors 6502a

You mean like "MacRumors"? ;)

19. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I thought I would ask for a little help. I was attempting to post a message over at the macnn forums about the list and I was banned for apparently being spammer:confused:. I guess it doesn't take much. But if anyone feels up to passing the word about the list to our brothers and sisters over at the macnn forums it would be much appreciated. But please don't do anything that might get you banned for life!

20. macrumors 6502a

Sweet! I see from your list that we now have Rescue Dawn in HD. That was a pretty good flick, and it's encouraging to see the selection expand.

21. thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Hi All,

Just a quick update. A few people have mentioned to me that they have seen certain movies become available in HD then disappear, either in the iTunes Store or Apple TV. What I have discovered is that Apple is adding new HD movies to Apple TV without listing them on their main HD list. I am doing my best to tracking these movies down and add them to the list, but if anyone notices something not on the list, please feel free to contact me. I'm doing the best that I can to keep up, but Apple is not making it easy. Thanks!

22. thread starter macrumors newbie

New and improved - now with HD podcasts

Hi All,
    We’ve made our first addition today to Apple TV Junkie, our HD Podcast Section. This new page includes the top 10 Favorite HD Podcasts, the Top 10 General Podcasts and the Top 10 New Releases as listed by Apple TV. We are looking to expand our Apple TV offerings in a few different ways, but we thought this would be the best way to easing into it. Enjoy!

23. macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

The site is down?

24. thread starter macrumors newbie

The site isn't down. I have a feeling I know what your issue is. I am still working out the kinks with domain forwarding the to .mac account. You need to make sure to type in the entire url www.appletvjunkie.com.

Just entering appletvjunkie.com without the www throws you to a godaddy page and the site looks down. Hopefully I can figure this out soon.

25. macrumors regular

Awesome stuff Eddie! Best of luck with the website! Thanks for the RSS feed :D