a computer for home and a laptop for when on the go

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by IllTakeAnApple, Jul 13, 2005.

1. IllTakeAnApple macrumors member

I’m new to the world that is apple, but however have found myself monitoring a few forums for the last month just to see if it would be a good idea to for me to jump in. I’m a PC user, which means I don’t know a thing about computers i.e. out of the normal specs & when I hear gigahertz or megahertz I get all excited. I’ve come to realize Mac users really enjoy using their computers and I have yet to come across someone who would go back strictly to their PC’s after using an Apple. After all of that being said I’ll get to point of my post. I’ve been looking for a laptop for about 3 months now and it took only a month to realize Apple is the way to go! I wont really be gaming since not only are Macs not really designed for gaming but also laptops in general are not for gaming. So in order to get the best of both worlds I’m thinking about either getting an Apple laptop ibook/Powerbook and then a PC for my stronger applications (few) and games, or possible getting a PC laptop and something like a Mac Mini/iMac for home. I would only go with the latter setup because I’m new to the whole world of Mac and am wondering if I should jump in slowly. So my question is what would be best for a student heading off to college who wants to do so much but is willing to flex?

2. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I've found that a Mac laptop and a PC gaming desktop is the best combination, at least for my needs :)

4. IllTakeAnApple thread starter macrumors member

Well i went to compusa a week ago and i really liked the ibooks and even more than them i loved the powerbooks! The imacs are a little steap it would leave me with no money for a wintop which probably isnt the worst thing ever.

5. Likelife macrumors newbie

That's exactly what I'm doing. I just bought a rock-bottom eMachine desktop a few weeks ago (since I need a PC for work and one game I play, that won't work in Virtual PC). I'll probably get an iBook if they're updated before I need one (about a month from now), or a Powerbook if they're not.

6. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I would get a 12" PB 1.5 Ghz decked out. Go to the dell small business site and purchase the 3.6 Ghz P4 for $1,100. It comes with a free 24" dell monitor. This is by far the best deal almost ever on dell's site. Get a KVM switch and a good surround sound setup and enjoy. Hook the 12" PB up to the KVM and You will have the best of both worlds.

A rough estimate: $3,300

Maybe a bit more then you can afford, but you can always sell the computer, keep the monitor, and just wait for a mactel Powermac to come out.

7. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

I have it the other way around. I have a Power Mac desktop and an IBM Thinkpad T42. But that's just because I honestly believe noone (not even Apple) comes close to Thinkpads in quality.

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I think Apple laptops are really close to the ThinkPad in quality. Not talking about the PB, but the iBook is getting really close.

The ThinkPads are nice though! I love the AccuPoint (that's what Toshiba calls them I think) finger thingy, I wish Apple used those!

9. IllTakeAnApple thread starter macrumors member

well im probably not going to have the money saved up until september but by that time i hope to have around 1,500. i might just buy a apple notebook and in say like in a year get a cheap computer (emachine) or have one of my friends build one for me.

10. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

What? I hate the AccuPoint! I'm so glad Apple doesn't use them. Trackpads are much better, unless you've always used AccuPoint. Trackpads are just so much easier to control.