Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
I am making an application that looks just like itunes and need to make a connect button that goes at the bottom with the other itunes buttons. I have the base. But what should I do for the connect symbol. Something that people will think is connect. Is there one apple has used in other applications? Thanks, here is the blank button that I made up.

Attachments

• blank button.gif
    blank button.gif
    333 bytes · Views: 359

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The closest that comes to mind from Apple for interactive connections is the <•••> for things like PPP (highlighted when active).

For connecting to non-interactive tasks, round arrows seem to be the order of the day (see Safari's reload, or iSync's chasing arrows).

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
here is connected and disconnected that I came up with. I am not sure if I like it. I might give the ... idea a go. I am not sure.....and of coarse these are gif as tif can't be uploaded.........They do look worse in gif then the actual buttons.

Attachments

• connectedon.gif
    connectedon.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 310
  • connect button.gif
    connect button.gif
    768 bytes · Views: 297

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
trainguy77 said:
here is connected and disconnected that I came up with. I am not sure if I like it. I might give the ... idea a go. I am not sure.....and of coarse these are gif as tif can't be uploaded.........They do look worse in gif then the actual buttons.

Hehe. The connected symbol looks like the devil's fork. You could do something like "--><--" for connected and "--> <--" for disconnected.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
This is sort of what I was picturing. The highlights don't even pretend to be close, I grabbed the first vaguely blue and grey blotches at hand.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
iMeowbot said:
This is sort of what I was picturing. The highlights don't even pretend to be close, I grabbed the first vaguely blue and grey blotches at hand.

The problem with that is many people will not know that means connect.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
trainguy77 said:
I am making an application that looks just like itunes and need to make a connect button that goes at the bottom with the other itunes buttons. I have the base. But what should I do for the connect symbol. Something that people will think is connect. Is there one apple has used in other applications? Thanks, here is the blank button that I made up.

when you say "connect," what are you connecting to? Connect to the web, connect to a device?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
trainguy77 said:
The problem with that is many people will not know that means connect.
Well yes, if you look at most such symbols, that is the case. They are intended to be distinct and easy to remember, but they do need to be learned.

Take a look at the application you are mimicking, iTunes. What does a giant colorful eyeball mean, or that radiation symbol? How about the little CRT at the bottom with a snowflake on it? Or those two arrow pretzels on the bottom left? How about the little clover and apple on the keyboard? You learn them and move on.

One problem with the symbol you posted earlier is that it does have a pre-existing meaning, electrolytic capacitors are often drawn like that. I'd initially think it means "charge" for some kind of peripheral.

Back to schematics, a physical connection is usually shown by nested arrows, like so:

That might be a comfortable way to indicate that something is physically plugged in. I'd find it a little troubling for a virtual connection, though.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
beatsme said:
when you say "connect," what are you connecting to? Connect to the web, connect to a device?
I am connecting to itunes on a remote computer.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
trainguy77 said:
I am connecting to itunes on a remote computer.

well, suppose you put a little computer monitor on there? or maybe a little iMac graphic? Or, how about the iTunes icon? Maybe a whole note or a treble clef?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Here is a another try at it. What do you think of this one?

Attachments

• connect2.gif
    connect2.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 222
  • connect.gif
    connect.gif
    757 bytes · Views: 226

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
irmongoose said:
You might get a cease and desist letter from Chevrolet for that one.

at the rate GM is losing money, they'll probably thank you for the free publicity.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
How about something like this for connected:

Attachments

• connected.png
    connected.png
    801 bytes · Views: 203
  • connected.psd
    22.7 KB · Views: 65

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
trainguy77 said:
Here is a another try at it. What do you think of this one?
I do not read this as connected...

Take a gander at gekko13's suggestion, it has that ball-and-socket feel that a "connection" would visually relate to.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
beatsme said:
well, suppose you put a little computer monitor on there? or maybe a little iMac graphic? Or, how about the iTunes icon? Maybe a whole note or a treble clef?

I agree. Rather than going with the connect mentality, make the image show what you're connecting to. Maybe the Network symbol with an iTunes logo somehow included. Of course, I have no skills at Photoshop or anything similar so I can't actually help with the image. However, I think this path'd be easier for the average user to understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.