Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Well, I had a pleasant surprise, and I just thought that I'd share it with everyone.

Last night I ran System Optimizer X, running both the optimizer and the system cleaner. Then, lo and behold, after restarting my system, my PowerBook started running much cooler than it had been. The fan wasn't running as often, and my wrist wasn't getting as hot sitting on the wrist rest.

I must say, I am fairly impressed by this. Maybe I should do system maintenance more often? :p

wowoah

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
Berkeley, CA
What model of PB are you using? (12? 15? 17?) I know the 12 has major heat issues, but is it even a big deal with the other two?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by wowoah
What model of PB are you using? (12? 15? 17?) I know the 12 has major heat issues, but is it even a big deal with the other two?

Mine is a 12" PB. I wouldn't say that it has "major" heat problems. Not really any worse than the heat issues I've experienced with a friend's 15 TiBook. (Granted, my old iBook ran significantly cooler, but my 200MHz PB3400 was just about as hot.) However, this optimization has really helped, except when I get into some serious software that really puts high demands on the processor. (i.e. 3D solid modeling CAD work....)

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: A Cooler 'Book...

Originally posted by Snowy_River
Well, I had a pleasant surprise, and I just thought that I'd share it with everyone.

Last night I ran System Optimizer X, running both the optimizer and the system cleaner. Then, lo and behold, after restarting my system, my PowerBook started running much cooler than it had been. The fan wasn't running as often, and my wrist wasn't getting as hot sitting on the wrist rest.

I must say, I am fairly impressed by this. Maybe I should do system maintenance more often? :p

could you tell us what settings you used in this application? i would really like to get some relief from the heat on my 12" PowerBook as well. i'd like to run it with the same exact settings you used and see if it helps. thanks.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: Re: A Cooler 'Book...

Originally posted by tjwett
could you tell us what settings you used in this application? i would really like to get some relief from the heat on my 12" PowerBook as well. i'd like to run it with the same exact settings you used and see if it helps. thanks.

Okay, here's what I did...

First, I set Window Buffer Compression, under 'Memory' to enabled. Then I did a system maintenance, with all of 'Daily', 'Weekly', and 'Monthly' checked. Finally, once the maintenance was done, I ran the optimization. Then restarted, and since then I've been running cooler, and 'snappier'. :p

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Re: Re: A Cooler 'Book...

Okay, here's what I did...

First, I set Window Buffer Compression, under 'Memory' to enabled. Then I did a system maintenance, with all of 'Daily', 'Weekly', and 'Monthly' checked. Finally, once the maintenance was done, I ran the optimization. Then restarted, and since then I've been running cooler, and 'snappier'. :p

thanks alot! i'm gonna try these out and see what happens. i hope i get the same results you are. thanks again.

IDTheft

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2003
US, Asia, Europe....Everywhere
Mine is a 12" PB. I wouldn't say that it has "major" heat problems. Not really any worse than the heat issues I've experienced with a friend's 15 TiBook. (Granted, my old iBook ran significantly cooler, but my 200MHz PB3400 was just about as hot.) However, this optimization has really helped, except when I get into some serious software that really puts high demands on the processor. (i.e. 3D solid modeling CAD work....)

You mentioned CAD work on your 12" PB. I just bought a 12" PB as well (in fact I just ditched the demon from Redmond). I am a little concerned, however, with the 12" being a little under powered when I run Adobe InDesign. I only have 256megs of ram though. Would the performance improve significantly if I max out the ram? I'll off course try the 3rd party app on the system as well;)

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by IDTheft
You mentioned CAD work on your 12" PB. I just bought a 12" PB as well (in fact I just ditched the demon from Redmond). I am a little concerned, however, with the 12" being a little under powered when I run Adobe InDesign. I only have 256megs of ram though. Would the performance improve significantly if I max out the ram? I'll off course try the 3rd party app on the system as well;)

Well, I can only tell you that I have my RAM maxed out at 640MB (though I've heard rumors that a new 1GB chip that is compatible with the 12" may be coming, thus raising the max to 1.1GB). I don't have much difficulty with my CAD work, either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.