A couple of ibook questions that i need cleared up on

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lfielder06, Dec 7, 2004.

1. lfielder06 Guest

First off I am getting a new 1.2ghz 12" ibook in january and am getting a firewire dvd burner. I have been on these boards for about a week and still need some clarification on some things. I know there is a hack that will allow idvd to burn to this external drive but does this void my warranty? Do the new g4 ibooks support an external display at a different resolution than the ibooks display. If so can i turn the original display off and use only the external display. If so can I then close the lid and do clamshell mode using the external monitor only. And do the hacks that allow for you to do this void the warranty. I have been looking in about two other forums for this info and am still not clear. thanks in advance.

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

To burn to an external DVD burner you need "PatchBurn".

To screen span and use clamshell mode you need "Screen Spanner".

Use Google for both. Take care I hope that helps.

And yes it will void your warranty so either wait past the 3 months or risk the iBook.

3. sebisworld macrumors 6502

I don't see how that iDVD Hack would void your warranty, but that Video Card hack just might, especially if you have trouble with the video card or motherboard during the warranty period. And isn't warranty like 12 month?

As far as I am concerned you cannot close the lid on your iBook without having it go to sleep (or else it would overheat).

4. deebster macrumors 6502

Apparently the screen spanning 'hack' is easily reversible, so if your iBook needed to go back to Apple at any time you could disable it with no ill after-effects or traces visible.

Running an iBook in clamshell mode IS dangerous though, even if the hack allows you to do this. The physical design of the iBook is not suited to being run closed, and any damage caused to it by doing so would most definitely void your (12 month) warranty.

And I am told that once you connect an external display up you will get the choice to run it at a resolution greater than the iBook screen's maximum of 1024 x 768.

As for iDVD, once you apply the patch made by the 'Patchburn' app, you may get native support anyway, but if not doesn't iDVD allow the project to be saved as an image and later burned with another app?

5. lfielder06 thread starter Guest

so if I wanted to use an exernal monitor as my only display will the ibook allow for this stock or do i need the screenspanning thing? What will allow me to run the external monitor with the full 32mb of vram? I really dont need the clamshell mode especially if it is going to burn up my book.

thanks for all the info on external dvd burner. i think i may just get an internal dvd burner for my pc and burn it using nero 6.

6. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I have the spanning hack on my iBook. Out of the box, you're iBook will Mirror what it has on the screen to an external monitor. The spanning hack will let you span, which is a great feature. You can also, use the clamshell mode to shut off your iBook screen and use the external monitor. If you do this, just don't completely shut your iBook. Leave it a bit open for ventilation. You can run at a higher resolution on the external monitor. I believe if you span, your video card will split the 32MB of vram between the two monitors (16MB each).

lasuther

7. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

I believe the iBook comes with a VGA video adaptor that allows you to connect it to an external monitor and mirror whats on the iBook screen.

8. lfielder06 thread starter Guest

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Note that the external drive "hack" is just a couple of files you place in a directory. Delete them and the "hack" is no more. AFAIK, nothing invasive is done at all.

And also, as mentioned, the screen spanning hack is reversible as well, but you need to run an app to reverse it, as opposed to the external drive "hack".

10. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

So you apply the screen span hack, and your iBook dies. How then do you unapply the hack before you send it back to Apple under warranty........???

And what if they replace the logic board in good faith and it dies on them when they test it?