A Couple of iPhoto Questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iGary, Mar 16, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm trying to integrate iPhoto into my workflow both at work, and in my home photography business and have a couple of questions that I'm hoping that some of the fine folks here can help out with.

1. I have an folder of "Image Selects," which I dragged (imported) into iPhoto. I assume that I now have my original folder of image selects, and inside of the iPhoto Library folder, another copy of the original exists. Correct?

2. Is there anyway to have the iPhoto Library on an external drive? I have found no documentation of this, nor any options within iPhoto to change the directory like you can in iTunes - any ideas?

Thanks in advance (again) for entertaining my sillyness. :D

2. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

The answer to #1 is yes.

I'd love to know the answer to #2 also!!

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For #2, it's very slightly kludgy, but you should be able to...

1) Copy your pictures folder, or the iPhoto folder within it, to your external drive.

2) Delete the original, and create in its place an alias with the original name, which points to the new location.

Then, when you run iPhoto, it should follow the alias through to the external drive.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

#2 iPhoto Librarian VT Link will let you have you library anywhere you like, and to have multiple libraries you can switch between.

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Thank you, Dr. Duncan.

I have a 100GB aerial library that would max out my iMac.