Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
1) Until we buy our iMac in the spring, my GF and I are sharing my slowly dying Windows laptop. We each have our own Windows accounts, and would like to keep our iTunes libraries separate. I tried to run iTunes from her logon, and it won't load - but it does from mine.

How can I make iTunes work on 1 pc, with 2 logons and have 2 separate libraries?

2) When I first got iTunes, I declined to have the app reorganize my music files. Nearly three years later, I've decided I don't care and want iTunes to organize my music files. Is there any way I can do that after the fact?

Thanks for the help!

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
What do you mean by organize?

Anyway, in my experiance, you cant have the same program running in two seperate accounts at the same time. Is this what you are doing? I see no reason other then that for it not to work.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
maybe if you install it twice in separate locations for each account it will work.

You do want iTunes to organise your music or not? Either way, > Preferences > Advanced > Keep my Music organised checkbox.

If iTunes has already organised the tracks into folders then no, you can't get it to retrospectively un-organise it into some other schema. If they're not organised iTunes will rearrange them for you as soon as you check the box and OK the prefrerence

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
frankblundt said:
If iTunes has already organised the tracks into folders then no, you can't get it to retrospectively un-organise it into some other schema. If they're not organised iTunes will rearrange them for you as soon as you check the box and OK the prefrerence
That's exactly what I want it to do. Will that only organize files that I have already imported into iTunes?

Cassie said:
Anyway, in my experiance, you cant have the same program running in two seperate accounts at the same time. Is this what you are doing? I see no reason other then that for it not to work.
Her and I will never be using the PC at the same time. I just want to be able to log into Windows w/ my user name and have my iTunes library. She wants to log into hers, and have her library ready to go.

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
tominated said:
it should automatically have separate libraries.
I'll just reinstall iTunes when I get home from work. My concern was that when I tried to open it from her logon, it got an error and crashed. I feared that iTunes couldn't handle multiple logon names.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
it will organise any files already imported into iTunes and any ones you add subsequently, so long as they are in the iTunes Music folder (the location of which is also set in preferences).

If you check the box also that says "Copy when adding" it will automatically copy any files you add to the library (using File > Add folder to Library) to that folder (songs imported directly by ripping or converted are saved there automatically in any case)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.