A couple of MAME questions...

Discussion in 'Games' started by dave1234, Jan 17, 2004.

1. dave1234 macrumors regular

I have a few MAME questions...

1. Can anyone get Metal Slug(1,2,3,4,or 5) working with MAME, J have got many of the files from different sources, but none of them seem to work, actually i genereally have a problem with all SNK games. HELP PLEASE!

2. How can I get my games to run smoother, Street Fighter Alpha 3 runs so poorly.

Thanks.

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i've got Metal Slug 1, 2 & X and i can run all of them perfectly... but i use GeoMAME.

also, what kind of computer do you have? that might have something to do with the slowness...

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I use MacMame, myself, and the only roms I have are The Simpsons and the two TMNT games. :-D

Both run pretty damn well, I must say.

4. dave1234 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a 12 inch PB 867 mg so it should be able to do it fine. So yeah.

5. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

just in case anyone still cares - you need the Neo Geo rom for it .

6. applekid macrumors 68020

The Metal Slug games were supposed to be compatible with GeoMAME, correct? That's what I'm getting from everybody's thread. So, just download GeoMAME.

Now, your performance issues... I'd look into tweaking the video and audio settings.

7. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

anybody managed to get Tekken running above snail-speed?

8. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

That's not a fast computer for emulating. My G4 700MHz 640MB lags when emulating Gameboy Advance!

9. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

This is more the fault of the emulator, though. The Windows equivalent computer and emu would run that no problem.

10. TheGimp macrumors 6502

I have a dual G5 2.5 and pacman runs at 60fps

11. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

It's only really 3D games that slow down on mine. Will MacMAME get any faster?

12. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

you need the neo-geo bios to run any neo geo games. just put the bios in the rom folder

13. applekid macrumors 68020

MAME needs work with 3D games. It's not like they originally had 3D games in mind when developing MAME. As whoever said below me, MAME is emulating all sorts of processors, it will take a while before something as complex as a 3D game starts working.

14. mateybob macrumors member

in response to the original question.. you need the file "neogeo.zip" aswell as the metal slug roms.. (and its the be placed in the same directory as the roms)

in response to 3d games... many of them wont run at 100% on any processors currently being produced... for tekken i believe you need around 3ghz p4 kind of speed...

and applekid wtf are you talking about... :rolleyes:

15. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

i use metal slug 1,2,3 and all the king of fighters and marvel vs. capcom on my G3 ibook 600mhz and they run fine, just tweak the graphics a bit to make it look good on your mac, also lower the sound quality, sound pretty much sounds the same either if you are on 44hz or 22hz so dont worry about sound quality, just lower it, it helps

also you will need to get the neogeobio rom thingy to run any of the SNK games i believe...hope it helps

16. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I've got MAME at work on a P4 3 GHz (and it's the same on my dual G5) and games like Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer II, Rave Racer, Tekken, Tekken II all run at around 4 FPS. MAME is emulating the hardware including all the 3D custom chips on these Sony Playstation based arcade boards. It'll will be years imo before the MAME team can emulate them at any speed, if at all. Quick fix buy a console, or wait for the new Intel 16 GHz CPUs.

17. applekid macrumors 68020

Replying to a thread and multitasking do not mix. :D

18. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

My dual 2.5GHz G5 runs Tekken on MacMAME .87b at a pretty solid 60 out of 60 fps. No kidding. If I turn off speed throttling, it will get as high as 67 fps, though normally it stays at 61 or 62. Occasionally it drops slightly below 60 fps.

Here's the kicker: if I have automatic frame-skipping on, the game will run terribly slowly whenever it drops below 60 fps, no matter how slightly. So there's something quite wrong with the frameskip code, or else it doesn't work well with 3D games.

Xevious 3D/G doesn't fare quite as well, though it too runs at 60fps much of the time, with frequent drops to 50-55fps. Again, auto frame-skipping kills performance dead, for whatever reason. The slight slow-downs are pretty much unnoticeable anyway so it's much better just to leave frame-skipping off.

So, people with 3GHz P4s might try turning off auto frame-skip and see what happens. Reality distortion fields notwithstanding, a 2.5GHz G5 shouldn't be running MAME 15 times faster than a 3GHz P4.

--Eric

19. risc macrumors 68030

risc

^__ TIP OF THE YEAR

Thanks heaps for that hint! That works perfectly here on my G5 too. All I can say is WOW! :eek:

20. mateybob macrumors member

i get significantly more that 4fps with tekken on my 2.2ghz p4 so i think youve got something set up badly there..