A couple of questions reguarding Keynote and Office

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gadgetgirl85, Aug 19, 2006.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm just wondering is Keynotes compatible with MS Powerpoint? and where can I download Neooffice and is Neoffice compatible with MS office products? thanks

2. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Sorry meant to post this in the Applications thread

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Keynote can import/export PPT files, although not all of the animations, transitions, and exact formatting will be preserved. For simple presentations it's pretty seamless, but for more complicated stuff it's not ideal.

4. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I tried saving something in keynote but I couldnt open it in Powerpoint do I have to save it as something different?

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Yep. In Keynote you have the option to export a variety of file types, Flash, Quicktime, and Powerpoint. Choose PPT and you're on your way.

6. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Sweet I tried downloading openoffice or whatever and It says I need something about X11 which sounds too complicated for me. I want a word processor that is not MS office (which takes a million years to load) but is similiar in functions etc and has compatibility with it? am I dreaming?

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Did you try searching google for neooffice?

NeoOffice supports MS Office documents the same way that Openoffice and Keynote does. You need to select it as an option when exporting/importing. It will work fine most of the time, but some details may change when you do it. It's not quite 100% compatible, but almost.

8. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

If you have Keynote then you also have Pages, correct? I'd recommend trying that out as an alternative to MS Word. If you're used to Office, there's a bit of a learning curve, but you can open and save files in .doc format.