A couple of Safari questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skyy, Nov 14, 2006.

1. skyy macrumors member

I've been having this problem where occasionally I'll get a "bad server response" (NSURLErrorDomain:-1011) error on sites that I know shouldn't be having such an error. In my attempt to fix it, I used Pacifist to reinstall Safari. That didn't work, so I did what I probably should have done in the first place and made a new account, trying one site where I get the error. It worked perfectly on the new account, I changed back to my normal account, and got the error again.

So question 1 is, since it seems to be a problem with my account, what do you suggest I delete/change/etc to fix it? All I've done is run the repair permissions utility in Onyx, and that didn't help.

And the second, how do I update Safari? Software Update didn't bring up anything to update, and I couldn't find a Safari 2.0.4 download on apple.com.

Thanks very much for your help :)

2. Tech607 macrumors member

Maybe go into the library and the preference folder and delete the safari plist file. Some times this file can become corrupt.

3. skyy thread starter macrumors member

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What OS do you have? Only Tiger will let you update Safari to 2.0.4.

As for the original problem, do you have any Safari add-ons installed? When you removed that PLIST file, was Safari closed? How do you connect to the internet? :)

5. skyy thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I guess I was in a bit of a rush to ask my questions that I didn't give all the necessary information. I'm on 10.4.8, I was using Safari 2.0.4 before reinstalling it (it's now version 2.0). I had PithHelmet and Saft installed, but I deleted them both first to see if they were the problem. Safari was indeed closed when I deleted the plist file. And I have cable internet.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

How often is this happening? I occasionally see this (not often at all), but a reload or two brings the page up.

7. skyy thread starter macrumors member

Not very often, but just enough to be rather annoying. Refreshing a couple times (two, exactly) does work for me as well, but who wants to keep doing that?

8. skyy thread starter macrumors member

Just a little update for whoever might be having this same problem. I couldn't fix it, so I just went and made a new user account for myself, but the issue began happening again. I read about the WebKit nightlies somewhere on MR, installed it, and I've been free of that problem...so far. So give that a shot if you're experiencing something similar.