A couple Wii questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by weldon, Dec 14, 2006.

1. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

I'm thinking about getting a Nintendo Wii for my kids (and me!). But I have a couple questions...

1) How long will Wii Sports come bundled in the box? If I don't get one before Christmas will I have to buy Wii Sports when it comes out in the Wii Play bundle in January?

2) How many Gamecube controller ports are provided for playing old Gamecube games? Should I keep all four of our gamecube controllers for Mario Golf?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

1) probably for a long time until another bundle emerges like a mario galaxy pack, but that's probably not till the fall of 2007

2) 4

3. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

1. It should be bundled for quite a while. I can't see that it would not be in there after playing it. It's a great game and it's nice that it comes with it.

2. 4 ports are available and 2 memory card slots. Just like the Gamecube. It might be me, but i think that Gamecube games look a tad bit better on the Wii.

4. weldon thread starter macrumors 6502a

weldon

Thanks for the quick replies. I just figured out that I was confused about what the Wii Play bundle was. I thought it was Wii Sports bundled with a wiimote, but it's actually different games in the style of Wii Sports.

Good to know about the four controllers too. But now I have a different question...

Do the gamecube controllers work with the virtual console games, or do you have to buy the classic controllers? If I buy the classic controllers for the virtual console, can I use those with Gamecube games? Obviously, I would just keep the GC controllers if they are interchangeable, but I'm not sure if they are or not.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

A lot of the VC games work with the gamecube controller and same with the wii mote. So far I havent found a need for the classic controller at all.

6. Malus macrumors 6502

I think it was a way for nintendo to get a little bit more cash...and I was suckered into getting one >_<

7. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Classic controllers don't work with GC games, though they may work with some Wii games (DBZ, Smash Bros. potentially). GC controllers will probably work in those circumstances too, though.

But - Classic controllers are sharp-looking, give wireless support via remotes, and have a more classic feel for some games with their d-pad and SNES button layout. In anticipation of Contra and Street Fighter on the VC, Classic controllers may just be easier than GC ones. On the flipside, I've tried Mario 64 with both types, and the GC is far superior - I never liked the PS-style analog stick placement, if it's your primary control.

On GC - nobody mentioned this explicitly, but GC support on the Wii is a walled-off emulation/process from everything else. Keep all your GC controllers if you needed them in the past, because nothing Wii will even register.