a couple X-Plane questions...

Discussion in 'Games' started by buffalo, Mar 17, 2006.

1. buffalo macrumors 65816

I'm thinking about buying X-Plane and have a few questions...

I currently have a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D joystick. It says Mac on the box but I can't find any software of drivers on the website or CD to install. Do you think this will work with X-Plane?

Will X-Plane run well on my iMac G5 (rev. B) 2GHz, 512 RAM, and a 128 VRAM?

I used to play FS2000 on my PC. I just do this for fun so will I be able to learn X-Plane?

Thanks!

[Edit] I just went Apple > About This Mac > More Info... > USB and I see that it lists "WingMan Extreme Digital 3D." Does this mean that it is being recogonized and will work, or is there some test I can do?

2. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

With only 128MB VRAM you will have to run in compressed textures mode, however apart from that, it should run fairly well.

Remember, it's something like a 60GB install (with all the scenery).

3. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I have the latest version of X-plane and I highly suggest it. It should work with the joystick... no drivers req'd.
    And yes, it will run fine on your computer. I used to run it on my 1ghz eMac w/ 32Mbytes of VRAM!
    One more thing: The base install (USA) is 9 Gbytes. After that you can world scenery for a total of 60 Gbytes.

4. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the replies!

Is it worth the time to download the demo?

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

If you're looking to run X-Plane 8, you'll need 1gb RAM for best performance. Other than that, your hardware should handle it fine.

6. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

Will it run with 512 decently though? I don't mind longer loading times, but I want it to run decently smooth

7. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Yes, but I would avoid the Extreme Res setting, and also make sure those settings are set to compress graphics.

I would download the demo first, just to make sure you like the game. It's about 60 bucks from memory, and I would personally want to make sure I like a game before throwing 60 bucks at it.

It is a very good game though.

8. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Austin would be very upset at you for calling it a "game"
    it is a simulator. ;)
    I run it on my MBP w/ 512 and its fine. I turned on "compress textures" so I could turn up the res. and objects settings. I am consistently getting around 50FPS.
    Yes, I would d/l the demo. It is probably something you should be getting used to, as Austin releases a new version via d/l every month or so!

9. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Yes, you're right, it's a simulator. I usually use that word when describing Xplane to people, as they don't seem as cynical about simulators compared to games.

I actually wrote the word, game, 3 times in that post? My bad.

---

If you turn all the settings up to max, and switch off the compress graphics setting, and restart the game, it will report in the Rendering options that it is using 600+megs of Video Ram!!!! :eek:

btw, don't go near Anti-Aliasing.

10. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

I downloaded the demo and tried it but I couldn't get any responce from my joystick. Any ideas?

11. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Yeah you really will need drivers imo. My iShock II fortunately has OSX drivers, and they still work with OSX, even on my Intel mac.

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

You can try, but I was getting a lot of page outs on my powerbook with 768mb. It ran better after I upgraded to 1.25gb. The official system requirements recommend 1gb.

13. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I have tried three different joysticks w/ no drivers and X-plane saw them. Go to the Joystick menu and wiggle around the axies (plural for axis?) a bit.

14. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I have a 1.8Ghz Single CPU Power Mac G5 with a Radeon 9800 with 128 MB VRAM and 2.5GB RAM. X-Plane runs well on even Extreme Res at 1680x1050. Compressed VRAM does help and doesn't visibly reduce quality at all. In places that aren't highly populated with buildings, FSAA is also usable.

I've used a Cybord 3D and an Logitech Strike Force 3D joystick with X-Plane. Both work well.

It is a great sim and definitely worth the money.