A curiosity...how to proceed?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Datazoid, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Datazoid macrumors regular

Alright, so to recap the story thus far...about 6 months ago, I went through the whole crapped-out G3 iBook logic board debacle, and after several back-and-forth shipments (and arguments) with Apple, ended up with a brand-new shiny iBook G4. Happy ending, right? Well...today an e-mail popped up in my Inbox, with the dispatch # and details of my [old and dead] computer, saying that "Your product has been delivered to the Apple Retail Store and is ready for pickup." Hmm....now, when I got my replacement, I was given the option to get a stock iBook and pick it up from the store that day, or custom order & pay the difference, plus wait a few weeks. I opted to do the pickup, having already been without a computer for two months. Based on this, do you guys think this e-mail is simply a result of somebody at Apple noticing the "paperwork" had never gotten finished off, and just closed it out, or could it actually be that, after all this time (~4 mo), they either performed another repair and sent it back, or actually sent a 2nd replacement? :eek:

I guess, without sounding too opportunistic, what I'm asking is, where do I go from here? Should I simply ignore the e-mail, and wait for Apple to either contact me again, if it is representative of some real action being taken, or correct their mistake, or should I call the store myself? Moreover, if a second replacement was shipped, or the original was repaired again, would you take advantage of the situation, or is honesty the best policy here?

I know, chances are its nothing, but its an interesting fluke if so... :confused:

2. cfd macrumors member

It means that the store has received the replacement for the unit they gave you, and yes, honesty is always the best policy..

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'd call the store and see if they know anything about the refurbed computer. I'd guess it isn't somebody closing out an old issue, and that likely the old iBook is there. You may even want to stop by, explain the situation, and they may just turn the old iBook over to you (can't imagine a huge refurb market for them on the older iBooks) so they don't have to deal with the paperwork.

If not, well, you did the right thing.

4. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Honesty is the best policy, if you point out their mistake, odds are there will be little or no acknowledgment of your honesty, there may even be an internal investigation to detect any fraudulent loophole abuse or misuse.

However, whatever happens, with the honesty route, your conscience will reward you with the gift of a peaceful mind.

If you tell anyone, going from what you've said I would contact the people administering the original shipments. I'd guess there would be no inter store competitive targets to meet. Where as, the store may be struggling to compare with other Apple stores and have a strict "no freebies in doubt" policy.

Just a hunch.

5. Datazoid thread starter macrumors regular

Just to clarify, I am in a semi-comatose state of caffeine-plus-finals, and I have the feeling that I have not well represented my position/question, so let me clarify...

When I said "take advantage...or honesty..." what I was intending was....should I go into the situation innocently eg: "I recieved an e-mail regarding my computer and was wondering if it was available for pick-up" or revealingly(?) eg: "I received an e-mail regarding a computer that I had sent in for repair six months ago and has subsequently been replaced, and was wondering if this was sent in error, or if by some strange coincidence, the computer has been repaired again and sitting on your shelf?" Perhaps these are not the best examples, and I still feel as though I am not doing the best job of representing myself...but I hope you get the idea. Perhaps I am simply overanalyzing. Its late/early and I've had too much coffee and too little sleep I think...

Anyways, thank you all for your suggestions and responses, and I invite any other comments on the matter...

EDIT: To clarify, kettle...you are saying that, in all likelihood, if I was to reveal this situation to anybody, chances are I would only be getting the people who helped me out at the Apple Store in trouble? If so, you would recommend simply keeping my mouth shut? Or are you saying that if I were to move forward (eg. attempt to figure out the meaning of the e-mail, etc), I would have to feign that I had not received a replacement? Again, apologies, I'm a bit thick at the moment....

6. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Are you saying that your old computer is still 'old and dead' ? If it is Apple are probably just returning your old junk as unfixable.
    Ring the Apple store and find out. They've already given you a new machine, and they won't take it back off you.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

I think I'd aim for the middle, leaning toward the latter: "I got an e-mail regarding a computer that I had in for repair available for pick up, but I thought that I'd already been given a replacement. Any idea what's up?"

Heck, you can go with the strategy I always use (and not dishonestly so) when talking on behalf of my business: "I received this message that's a little confusing to me, but then I haven't been following this issue very closely so I'm not sure exactly what the situation is. Perhaps you could clairify for me, and tell me what I should do to resolve this?"

Let them tell you what they think is going on, and what you should be doing. If they say "Whoops.", then you're done. If they think you're supposed to be picking up the computer, you can mention that you thought you'd already gotten a replacement and ask if they're sure, then figure you got a bonus if they still think you should be taking it.

Nothing dishonest, just figure out what their policy says they should be doing and go with it. For all you know, it's an error that'd be more trouble for them to fix at this point than just handing out an old computer with little resale value to them.

8. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

Datazoid-

I think I would go the the honesty route. I am/was also the lucky owner of a G4 ibook as a result of a G3 Logicboard issues.

On another note if you had Applecare on the G3, you can fax and cancel whatever is left on it and get a refund (pro-rated) from Apple. I actually got a check for $68.

I decided to sell the replacement and order a DP PM, which should arrive next Wed., I can't wait.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

this seems possible........maybe you complained so bitterly about not having access to the data on your hard drive (or whatever) that they marked it down to return the non-functioning junk to you so you could attempt to retrieve your data.....or salvage the drive or whatever

I say call the store and ask them if they really do have something for you

if it's the old junker, fine, go get it

if it's all fixed and wonderful.....well, then you can say "this isn't right! they already sent me a replacement!!"....and then everybody can stand around and scratch their heads while they wonder what to do

10. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

hey, I'm a bit thick most of the time, most things I blurt usually require some form of clarification.

I think I was just trying to show the inherit paranoia of large administration systems. There is bound to be a process to show discrepancy even if there is no direct way to pinpoint it. Whatever you decide, there will be agro for someone along the line. People will be unofficially guilty until proven innocent.

If you keep quiet and get a new Mac plus a repaired Mac then you will be happy and probably walk away under a shield of premeditated innocence.
    Somewhere along the line the effect of the deception will be felt, maybe not on a personal level but perhaps the future financial sustainability of quality customer care could reach breaking point.

If you tell them of there potential mistake then things can be accounted for without a "doubt" or "guilt by association" investigation along any part of the administrative chain.

Either way, like stevep said, they may just want you to dispose of your own junk. :) (that really is cost effective customer care)

also I think Makosuke has detailed a pretty sound plan for "New Honesty" :D ...I'd give that a shot. Just try not to think about the future cost of customer care. sleep well. :)

11. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I don't know about your side of the pond but computers are treated as chemical waste this side, so it costs serious cash to dispose of them. They could just be passing it back, so it doesn't cost them anything.
    I feel cynical today.

12. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

honesty is good. walk in and tell them you got this e-mail and you are not sure what it is for. tell them you already recieved a replacement for the old machine. they might say 'now we have finished the old machine and you can have it back if you would like to recover files' or they might say 'oh that e-mail was sent by mistake' or 'that e-mails was sent just finilizing the old issue' or 'are you smoking crack apple doesnt even communicate to customers by e-mail' . . . well maybe not the last one. but go in (or call) and see what the deal is. they may just want you to have your old iBook for centimental value.

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    just ask them to clarify the email, if they end up giving it to you anyway woohoo

14. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

15. Datazoid thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to all who have replied. I will update tomorrow after I have contacted them (been a little busy this week).