A.D.D. shiny!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nitynate, Nov 30, 2006.

1. nitynate macrumors 6502a

This is the thread of ADD or ADHD.

As I am an american teen, I have this disorder by default. :D

How about you? Your kids? Siblings?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not me, but I do share one thing with ADHD peeps, as a dyspraxia man myself I get extra time in exams!

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

4. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Woot!
    Thats what I like.

Excuse my ignorance but,
    Whats dyspraxia?

Are you on meds? Adderall?

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

ADD. It seems to be the less common of the two...

I take something.. can't remmember what it's called... dermatrol? Comes in a patch form...

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I have terrible organization, and bad hand-eye coordination. I don't really, but worse sufferers get very angry very easily. BTW, I didn't, but anyone could fake the test to get extra time, easiest thing in the world...

7. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did they drug you? Or is it a check mark on a paper kind of thing?

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

nope because i have more pressing medical problems that take medications that don't do well with speed

9. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, most meds don't like Amphetamines.

10. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

My son was recently diagnosed with dyspraxia (he's 4). He has problems with speech and motor. I am curious how it was for you growing up. Was your case mild or have you learned to overcome it as you grew up? Still trying to learn more about this in order to help him. Thanks.

Edit: That's him in my avatar there, by the way.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Me too. I just take good ol' ritalin. I like the fact that it only lasts 4 hours. That way I can control my dose and when the effects kick in and die down more precisely rather than take a single pill that lasts 8 hours. Sometimes I do uni work until the early morning.

Actually, now that I'm 26, the "H" part of it seems to be dying down. The ADD part will never go away, unfortunately.

12. thebiggoose macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

I'm a 15 year old American Male and I have ADD, ADHD, and Aspberger's Syndrom...beat that baby

PS: Yess it's pronounced @$$ burgers

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

is anyone here LD (learning disabled/difference)... I am. I'm dyslexic...:eek:

14. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am just plain ADHD, on good 'ol adderall. I still cant sleep on it, though.

15. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

I've lived with ADD my whole life - since before it was labeled ADD.

And now as a project manager in IT for a tech company - ADD is a required physical attribute - so I'm good!

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Paper test...

17. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I suspect I might have one of the two.. not so sure though.

18. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I have never been tested but I know I have ADD.

I sit down to study and 10 minutes later I am on the computer, talking to someone or playing video games.

19. noaccess macrumors 6502

I'm getting tested for ADHD tomorrow at a local clinic.

I'll come back to report on the results, altho... I'm pretty sure I have it. I'm exactly like the above poster, always getting distracted from studying or anything that involves reading or any other sit-down-and-stay-focused-on-something work.

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I know I have dyspraxia, but IMO people are too commonly labeled nowadays. What is often 'hes easily distracted' is now 'hes got ADHD', its just irritating the tiny amount of people without a label nowadays.

21. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I was clinically tested for ADD at the Children's Hospital in Philadelphia and they decided I should take medication. I took it for maybe a year, then never took it again. That was nearly 8 years ago.

I just recognize how I function. I get really interested in something and pour all my effort into it. If I don't get interested in it, I will avoid doing it for as long as possible.

In school, my strengths are History, Writing, and Science, and Computers.

My weakness is mostly in Math. I'm not very good at it, and I don't like to study it or really put any effort into it.

I hate boring teachers, they will turn me off to the subject as well as the class.

I remember sitting in a Ed-Psych class last Spring with a woman who came in to lecture us about ADD and ADHD studies, and we got into a lengthy discussion about the validity of ADD and the overmedication that seems to occur.

This is a list of all the symptoms of ADD/ADHD that I can relate to from the Wikipedia article:

Inattention
    -Trouble keeping attention focused during play or tasks
    -Failure to follow instructions or finish tasks
    -Avoiding tasks that require a high amount of mental effort and organization, such as school -projects
    -Frequently losing items required to facilitate tasks or activities, such as school supplies (I never had a pen or pencil for school....ever.)
    -Excessive distractibility
    -Procrastination, inability to begin an activity (although I have gotten much better about this one, but this used to kill me)
    -Difficulties with household activities (cleaning, paying bills, etc.) (Getting better at this too, because I live on my own)
    Difficulty falling asleep, may be due to too many thoughts at night (Which is why I am writing this right now.....)
    Easily distracted

Hyperactivity-impulsive behavior

Fidgeting with hands or feet or squirming in seat (I have a habit of having my feet fidget, it's almost unconscious.....I'm doing it right now....)
    Leaving seat often, even when inappropriate (I'm sure I'm guilty of this in gradeschool)
    Running or climbing at inappropriate times (see above)
    Frequently feeling restless
    Excessive speech (I used to stutter, a lot.)
    Answering a question before the speaker has finished ( I am so guilty of this!)
    Failure to await one's turn
    Interrupting the activities of others at inappropriate times

Medication really wasn't good for me, I remember distinctly feeling tired all the time and generally "blah". I recognize some of the difficulties that my personality entails (see above list) but one of the things that I've walked away with is the fact that I am very creative, and extremely good with people. My people skills are excellent, and in a professional environment, I have a maturity that is at least twice my actual age. It's just that as soon as I'm out of the work place I'm a total kid again.

What leaves me frustrated is the whole feeling of being forced to be turned into a zombie by taking medication, so that I'm not trouble. Yes, I had a lot of trouble when I was a kid, I'll admit that. But do any of my teachers think that I was stupid? Good lord no.

22. JohnMC macrumors 6502

Sometimes I think I may have ADHD, but I don't know. Out of cureosity (sp?), how many of us are left handed? I am. Just wondering if more of us lefty's are ADHD than the right handed folks.

JohnMC

23. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I'm a lefty too.

24. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I've been having trouble studying for the MCAT/DAT. I try to focus, "get in the zone", and make it interesting but I end up stopping after 10 minutes.

Does this mean I have ADD?