A damn fine controller

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm after a rollickingly good PC/Mac controller, wired, bluetooth whatever. I'm planning on using it whilst developing my next game which I'm hoping to get ported to systems that actually, mostly use controllers.

I'm thinking the Xbox 360 wired one, but does it actually work as well it does on the 360? What about the wireless one? Any other cheaper models (I'm not bothered if it doesn't work with 360 to be honest)?

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I played Star Trek Legacy at E3 on a PC using an XBox 360 controller. Worked fine.

3. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

How was legacy I was looking into getting it for 360 when it comes out but haven't seen much besides what preview stuff out there

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

5. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

I have a wired 360 controller that I use for games all the time without any problems... never tried the wireless one though...

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Well jimbo, I know you are on strike against Sony due to the Lik-Sang affair but I got some $10 USB<->Playstation-controller-adaptor online about a year ago so i could play GTA:SA on my PC. It worked like a freakin charm, was exactly like the console version (cept with better graphics :D) That would be a cheap alternative. But if you dont have a PS controller laying around, never mind ;)

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm curious if anyone will be able to write a driver to use a Wii remote as a controller...it IS bluetooth, after all.

Me, I use my Nintendo DS as a controller. There's a program that can be loaded via the M3, and a program you run on your PC, and the DS connects via WiFi to the PC and sends button presses. It's amazing for GBA emulation.

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

The PS2 controller is very good for 2D but I'd have to buy an adapter and a controller. I'd be spending more than the very good 360 one. Pity the original Xbox or Gamecube controller work bad with 2D.
    The DS is a good idea! Might look into that. Just the DS's comparably short battery life that puts me off.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Isn't the 360 controller a lot more expensive than a PS2 though?

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

wired 360= £19

wired PS2= £19
    Adapter= £10 (£29)

Course it'd be cheaper on eBay or something, but think of all those filthy hands :p plus the 360 one could be used for Halo 3 multiplayers... should it be any good. Might also help if the PS2 controller was comfy for long play times.

11. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i have a wired 360 controller and it works great.