a damning account of fox news

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 7, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link to story of David Shuster, who left fox news for NBC

and how much crap did the NYT get for the jayson blair incident?

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

is nbc/msnbc really any good though? ultimately..?

but yeah, you'd think more reporters who are credible would lash out about the false reporting of fox news

3. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Just curious: How do you feel about the allegations made by former CBS newsman Bernard Goldberg in his book Bias, as well as more recent scandals at CBS?

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Be more specific and you might get an answer.

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I am assuming that zimv20 posted this story due to his dissatisfaction with FOX News' alleged editorial practices (as described by David Shuster in the linked story). That may be a bad assumption on my part, of course (zimv20 didn't really comment on the story itself).

I was just wondering if he is equally dissatisfied with CBS News, given the allegations made by one of its former (and longtime) employees.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm dissatisfied w/ most TV news. i find it shallow, non-inquisitive, barely informative, too sensational, too sound bitey, and too gossipy. i think fox is the most blatant in its agenda.

escaping my wrath are some shows on PBS.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Still the same question back to you.

And, FWIW, I don't watch any TV news except for the NewsHour on PBS and I don't listen to any on the radio except NPR. (I really do prefer to be informed instead of entertained, and I certainly prefer it to indoctrination.)

8. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

If you don't follow any news except for PBS and NPR, how is any explication regarding CBS going to help you? He's talking about Dan Rather using unverified documents pointing to President Bush's absence from the air force reserves during his military years. Rather held the "records" out as evidence, but its veracity was later debunked. He ultimately resigned from his post at CBS.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Huh? I'm not looking for anyone to "help" me. I know all about Rather's screw-up, but I don't accept the implication on face value that accordingly something can be inferred universally about CBS's editorial policies that justifies comparing CBS to Fox.

Also, I didn't say I only "followed" PBS and NPR. I'm not even sure I know what that means. I said I only listen to those TV and radio news programs.

10. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

"Be more specific" indicated that you weren't sure what he was talking about. I offered an explanation. Clearly, from your last post, you already knew what he was talking about. Instead, you were asking Lyle to better state his position. That's not what I got from your first post, and from any objective standpoint, what you articulated. Sorry if you're still confused.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You've got it wrong. I was asking him to be more specific with respect to the criticisms he says have been leveled at CBS so that we could discuss them. I am also familiar with the Goldberg book mentioned, but without anyone citing the specific criticisms Goldberg leveled at CBS, then we've really got nothing to discuss. "Goldberg wrote a book" is not an argument.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I am disappointed with anyone calling themselves news and pulling this type of thing. CBS is no exception. Fox is far worse though. There is bias, and there is flat out lying.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh don't worry, IJ's plenty versed in what happened regarding CBS and Dan Rather.

Still, I always find it amusing that people trot out this example as proof that Rather let his bias get in the way of his decision making, and that he should have lost his job for running with unverified information. Then you point out that Bush did the same thing and they support him retaining his job...

Not that I'm saying this about you JonsLightBulbs. For all I know you're a communist. I'm just making a general comment regarding the Rather situation.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Dan who?

Rather is a celebrity TV journalist who is long past his prime but has been kept around because he's... a celebrity TV journalist, and that's what networks do for his kind. He made a stupid mistake, and has been sent out to pasture as a result. Now, I suppose some will want to say that this incident impugns the entire CBS news operation, that the entire thing is poisoned because Dan Rather is or was whatever Dan Rather is or was. Is the bizarre flip-side to this argument that Fox's 24/7 propaganda operation is totally justified as a consequence? That if one news operation allows their standards and practices to slip, then it's okay if another one throws standards and practices completely out the window?

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Apparently... yes.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs