A dell fp 20 inch or a apple 20 cinema display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ilikeninjas90, Jul 17, 2006.

1. ilikeninjas90 macrumors regular

Hey guys, just as the title says

I need to have some more input before making a decision between these two monitors

Im hesitant to the dell because it can not hook up with an xbox, or anything other than a pc

Therefore, I need to know if the cinema can play an xbox

Help would be greatly appreciated
    thank you

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i'm *pretty* sure that the dell and ACD have the same ports, so if the dell can't do it, neither can the ACD...

3. ilikeninjas90 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

but is there an adapter in which I can connect to the xbox cords to either monitor

thanks for the info

4. Cashmonee macrumors 6502

Cashmonee

The Dell will do it. If you are talking about a XBOX, you can get the S-Video cable set and the Dell has an S-Video in. If you are talking XBOX 360 you can get the HDMI cable (I think it is out, if it will be soon) and just get an HDMI-DVI converter which is cheap. HTH!

**EDIT** I just noticed that it has a composite input also, so you can actually use the standard cables if you like. I didn't realize the Dell had so many inputs. Nice monitor! Here is a link to all its inputs:
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4688

5. skipsandwichdx macrumors regular

Same panel, same (and then some) ports, hundreds less, but way uglier enclosure.

Oh well, it's not like you look at the back of it that much.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well they use different backlights - and rigorous reviews do say the Apple monitor gives you cooler colors while the Dell does it warmer. Though that's user preference.

7. T-Stex macrumors 6502

You should try the search function first. There are probably 50 separate threads comparing the Dell and ACD. A simple search will get you a lot more information faster.

With that being said...

I thought that the Apple Cinema Display only had one input, from the computer. As far as I know, the Dell would be the way to go if you want to hook up anything other than a computer. I'd go with the Dell anyway though.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Dell has crazy inputs, which is nice.

I bought one a few weeks back and have been utterly content with it. Your mileage may vary, of course.

9. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

It's not that bad. :rolleyes:

I think it's a great display, I think I might order one sometime. :D

10. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

The Apple only has DVI-D. thats it. The Dell has DVI-D, Component, composite, s-video, and a few others. Its also way less, I personally think the apple is way cooler looking, but if I had an xbox 360 I would go with the Dell no questions (If you can afford it go 24" so you can get 1080p) but even for a regular xbox with component cables its worth it, so go Dell if you are using it for anything other than a monitor

11. ilikeninjas90 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for all the help guys

I never knew the dell monitor packed so many features

It looks like Im gunna have to go with the dell monitor
    considering how expensive the cinema display is and that it has no extra features for an xbox

I love how the cinema display looks though

I guess Im gunna have to sacrifice that:(

12. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

13. ilikeninjas90 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh my gosh

I would totally jump on it

bu unfortunately I like the funds to pruchase it

I hope it can keep those prices for just a week longer

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I got the 20" Dell a few weeks back and don't regret it one bit. Excellent monitor, and while it's uglier than the ACD, I really don't care because it was half the price.

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I have a 2005fpw and love it 1000%.

It doesn't look as nice as the ACD, but it has loads of inputs, a 3 year warranty and cost 1/2 of what the ACD would have.

ACD=pretty.
    Dell=insane value.

16. pablodo macrumors newbie

i just got a refurbished 2005fpw through the dell outlet for $325, free shipping. though i am not doing side by side comparison's with the latest ACD, the Dell sure does beat the pants off the older LCD Apple Studio Display we have. And next the the latest imac screen it is certainly on par.

17. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I don't see what people mean by saying that the dell is ugly. I mean, yeah, it is deffiantly not as cool as the ACD but the Dell is still very cool looking IMO.

18. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

You people forget the middle ground between "cool" and "not cool". Some monitors are just that - generic monitors - and are neither beautiful or ugly. Dells are just that. Not exciting-looking, but not may people puke when they see one.

19. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Xbox (360) can't connect to ACD's.

But I still say, get the ACD, it's so kewl!:D

20. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

It can now... not exactly cost-effective though :p

21. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

I love the 2005FPW. I had one that was absolutely perfect and my landlord bought it off me (I wasn't even trying to sell it). LOL. I couldn't help it. The money was so tempting. I liked all the extra little ports and all but could never get them to work with my Mac (anyone else?). However, I'm kinda glad I sold it cuz I just jumped on a sweet deal on a 2405 for $600. I know that's a lot of money but hey, it's cheaper than an Apple 23" and I really needed it for my video editing. Good luck!

The Dell website has some crazy deals going on them all the time.