A designer considering a switch to PC for a new bank job.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yamadataro, Jan 24, 2004.

1. yamadataro macrumors 6502

WARNING: Please please no "Mac is the best no matter what" replies! This is s serious professional decision.

---

I've been a Mac user ever since I've started to work as a freelancing design professional. I'm about to make a dive into the banking industry (on my god!) as an in-house art director/web developer.

Here's the issue: In their IT office where I'll be working in, there are at least more than 100 software engineers. I'll be the very first creative professional there and possibly a first Mac user.

I'll have to decide what computer equipment I'll use. And thinking it might be better to just switch to Windows platform as my main OS to make workflow smoother with other software engineers and business professionals I'd be working with. I have some designer friends who work primarily on Windows, so I know it works fine on Win.

I'd like to get feedbacks from you creative professionals who have experiences on both Win and Mac.

FYI: I use a Sony Vaio along with my Mac

Here's my requirement/concerns:

- They have their original IP phone/communications system, so at least I have to use one PC to use communication system.

- I'll have to design a lot of presentations for banking-maniacs. I have encountered font appearance difference issues between Mac and Win, so using PowerPoint on Win to create might be the best.

- I'll have to work with VPN and Virus software that complies with their Win dominated network. I know these work fine on Mac, I don't want the tech manager there to say I'll be responsible for the virus update!

- File sharing and networking? I've had some problems connecting Mac OS X to/from Win.

- Working on Panther, I've had many claims from my clients (PC users) when I sent them the completed web data that there's that invisible Mac files in each folder.

- And obviously, I'll design tons of tons of web pages for mainly-PC-user bank customers. I'm thinking it's easier to just create/proof everything on a PC.

- Banking industry is a serious biz, and I want to avoid as much software compatibility/conflict/problem possbility as possible.

- I love working on a Mac for the touch & feel! Been a Mac maniac for over 13 years. But I'd switch if it's necessary to complete professional responsibility.

- I'll do graphic/print design as well.

- I'll do some video editing for in-house presentations. And I love Final Cut Pro!

- Scared as hell of viruses on PC.

*I guess I can just ask them to get me both Mac and PC, but I'll have to decide which platform I use as a primary one.

---

Thanks for your help!
    And happy birthday Mac!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: A designer considering a switch to PC for a new bank job.

Why would we say that, when it certainly isn't true.

If you're getting paid to use Windows, it might make sense to keep a PC around as you work computer and primary OS.

However there are times when the Mac is the best way to complete a job (ie, Final Cut), there's nothing wrong with using the Mac for that portion of the work flow and dumping the result to the PC.

As time goes on you'll probably be switching back and forth on the machines -- using each OS to their advantage.

3. meta-ghost macrumors regular

how do you control color on a pc? obviously the mac has colorsync to allow consistency between scanner, monitor and printer. in the past, there was no pc equivalent - don't know about now. you'll have to decide how important it is.

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

honestly, in your case, i would choose to use the PC at work... but i would also suggest a mac laptop. that way you could fit in with their environment, but bring your laptop to work as well and easily work from one to another.

cliff notes:
    don't bother with all the effort to get your mac to work there. it's more work than it's worth (as long as you have a Mac laptop)

my $.02

5. yamadataro thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your info, everybody.

After hearing what you think, and talking with my friends, using a PC as my primary platform seem like the best way to go in my case.

I've chosen that job for a change in my life, so I might just as well try out a PC.

Using a powerful PC desktop with my TiBook will do the job as starters, I feel. I'll use I have my own TiBook with any necesary production software already installed.

If they are willing to spend tons of money for my equipment. If that is the case, I might just as well ask for a PC (desktop and laptop) and a G5 :D That will be a purchase of 3 sets of proction software (around 3000 USD each) though ...

As to the color syncing issue, all adobe products seem to be compatible with that technology on Windows as well. It might not be as good as on Mac, but print job will be a small portion of what I would do there, so I might just be able to live with it.

Now, I have to think about a good display for a PC. I'll see which video card supports Apple's Cinema Display.

6. yamadataro thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If you're doing power point for the PC you need to work on the pc - the animation/slide effects aren't the same on the PC and Mac versions of MS Office.

Also, Adobe apps are pretty much the same on both platforms, just the shortcuts might be different.

I do some powerpoint stuff, but most of it is generated in Illustrator and Photoshop (3D images from Lightwave) - stay away from the built in tools of power point as much as possible :D

Good luck!

D

8. DVW86 macrumors member

I use a PC desktop at work a Mac laptop at home. My work is a "Wintel" only company, even though many of the things I need to do are better preformed on a Mac. I would love to use my Mac all the time but they just won't here of it, for many of the same reasons that you listed. I have found the solution to be a USB KVM switch. I just plug in my iBook when needed, but 90% of my work computing is done on a PC. 100% of my home computing is done a Mac though.

9. bensisko macrumors 6502a

Get both!

I use a Powerbook G4 as my home computer, and have a Dell laptop as my work computer. Where ever I go, I can always have both, that way I get the best of both worlds. As for connecting them, I just use FTP to transfer files back and fourth with no problems.

This way I can use Premiere and After Effects on one, and Final Cut Express on the other!

(Although, I have to be honest, I enjoy working on my Powerbook more then the Dell. OS X just seems to 'flow' better!)

10. yamadataro thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll have an opportunity today to talk with some tech guys there, so I'll ask them what's their requirements for the equipment.

But, for now, it sounds like a big desktop + my own PowerBook seem to be the way to go, from the cost point of view.

I'll let you guys know about my adventures.

11. cubist macrumors 68020

Get a nice IOGear KVM switch so you can use both. You can connect it to the PowerBook and switch back and forth.

Do they have one with DVI video? Then you could get a DVI LCD monitor like one of those crisp Formacs, or you could use the DVI-to-ADC converter if you want a Cinema.

12. yamadataro thread starter macrumors 6502

Monitor switch sounds like a good idea.
    I'm trying to make them buy a Cinema HD for me. If they don't buy one for me, I'll just have to bring my own Cinema from home...

13. yamadataro thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I just had another interview with a manager there and he seems to be cool about using Mac as a main machine. He just told me that I have to use a Wintel for their communication system along with a Mac.

Huh. But I still think there is a possibility of choosing wintel over Mac as my main machine.

I'll figure out what my exact responsibilities will be.

BTW, a Windows designer friend of mine has told me that G5 is better with Photoshop. I guess that's true.

Let's see.

EDIT: Oh, and this manager guy was very curious about my PB G4 which I brought to their office today to show my portfolio. I realize that Mac still is a stranger to the biz world.

14. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

The mac will always get curiosity. Even from other mac users with the exact same machine as you.

Wintel users are either:
    a) curious
    b) hateful (dont let them+their coffee near your notebook)
    c) wishful
    d) jeleous
    e) bill gates (ok, unlikely in the normal work environment)

15. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

i'd use both....use the PC for all the comms and routine shiznitz, and the mac for the vid editing and stuff.

No need to ditch either one, both have there advantages and disadvantages

16. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Or in my place, they tried to format it and install Windows on a PB 12"...

Dare i say more

17. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

That's little short of a satanic ritual ;)

18. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

That's the way to go. If you've got to use a PC at work, so be it--but at least you can still be Mac at home!