A different iPod question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Omad0n, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Omad0n macrumors regular

So I left the iPod in the dock overnight, which was plugged into my G4's firewire port. Then I turned off the computer for the night, now I assumed that when I woke up and turned on the comp. that the iPod would havea little power, but instead it was empty. Was leaving it on the cradle all night the problem? I figured it would shut itself down or go to low sleep mode. Also I did make sure I had the latest software, and it still seems to be acting funny when I charge it, in so much as it'll charge and say it's full, then I'll take it off the charger and it'll only be 2/3 full unless i re-charge it when it will actually fill. Any thoguhts or suggestiongs would be greatly appreciated. Oh one final thing it's a 20 gig iPod 3rd generation. which I bouth a few days ago.

2. Omad0n thread starter macrumors regular

3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

After leaving it in the cradle overnight, did you remove it and then press the play button to wake it up?

Also, it seems that iPod firmware 2.1 has the battery meter acting goofy. I have a 15G 3rd gen iPod, and after fully charging it, it will show an empty battery, but after playing music for a bit, the meter will slowly fill up. Mine shows empty right now too after overnight charging... Oh! wait a minute, I have one bar now... :)

4. Omad0n thread starter macrumors regular

Okay so I had a long talk with a friend about this yesterday. We came to the conclusion that maybe the iPod isn't a smart charger. That while on the Dock it doesn't know to put itself to sleep. so it jsut runs the power down all night if in a dock that is getting no power, ie firewire cable in a comp. that is turned off. Also I noticed the same thing as you did, there are times where I can take the iPod off the charger and actually watch it fill up as I start playing music. Very odd indeed if you ask me.

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Yeah welcome to the wacky world of the 2.1 firmware update. In any case, it's better you plug the iPod directly into an electrical outlet to charge it overnight.

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Re: A different iPod question

The same thing happens to me all the time. I'm trying to get better about taking it off the dock when I shut my computer off.

What I'll do is throw it on there for a couple of hours, and then shut the computer off and go to bed. When I wake up in the morning and grab it before I go to work, the battery is nearly drained. Something about leaving it on the dock with the computer's power off does drain the battery.

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

just to let you know, the battery level indicator in the iPod is a bit slow in responding. you could charge the iPod overnight and in the morning, it could still show (initially) non-full levels.

play a song or two and it will gradually creep up to the correct full level...

so right after a recharge/wakening, i wouldn't trust the battery indicator for a while.