A Different Reaction to the iMac

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by ormerlin, Jan 8, 2002.

1. ormerlin macrumors newbie

I work in an office filled with Windows computers, and only two Macs. Yesterday morning I had a picture of the new iMac up on my screen, and one of my co-workers came in and said, "That thing is ugly". Later that morning during the keynote, he saw the iMic show, and changed his tune. He started talking about how great it would be not to have all that garbage on his desk, clutting it up. He took back his comments, and said he would consider an iMac for his next home computer purchase.

I thought it was nice to see a long-time Windows only user say some nice comments about the new iMac. I will admit, the first time I saw it, I didn't like it. The more I looked at it, and the more I saw it on the keynote, the more I liked it.

As for people saying the iMac and G4 towers are not powerful enough for graphic design, I don't quite understand this. I understand where people working with video, 3D, etc. need more power, but for graphic design it doesn't make sense to me. I have been a graphic designer for about 7 years now, and the only thing that would really help to have more power with is Photoshop. However, I run tight deadlines and very large projects with both a PowerBook G3/333 and a G4/450. They do everything perfectly fine for me. Maybe I am the minority here, or not?

As for a 15" LCD, it doesn't bother me at all. I have designed countless items on my 14.1" on my PowerBook. Yes, I like larger monitors, but having such a small footprint on my desk is more important to me.

Overall, I am seriously considering a new iMac. It just seems to fit right into what I am looking for. I think there are a lot of others that will feel the same way, or at least I am hoping so!

As for the G4/G5 debate, I really don't care. I would love to see a G5 come out for everybody who needs that kind of power, but I don't think people will switch away from a Mac, just because the power isn't there.

I think Apple is on the right track with the iMac, because is seems to be both a consumer computer, and also enough more to satisfy people with computing needs like mine.

2. samy85114 macrumors regular

Great move

Exactly , That'S what Apple needs, people who had been using windows for long time... and after they just take a look at it, they change their minds... I know a lot of those who are actually changing their computer for what i like the most... An Apple.

That,s how Apple get their Mac user... just by showing to us some awesome products... and actually , they did it!!

The iMac's impact is working very well, and it's gonna be so popular, Apple, during the last 4 years almost, just did great things, except the Cube .... but anyway, this is , for myself, the only one who had not been so popular as well as they expected it. To conclude, this iMac is a great marketing move.

3. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I do have to admit that the question in my head is.... Did they just take the inerds from the Cube and put it into the new iMac. But, yes, the design is appealing. I'm actually considering whether or not to buy one...

4. nahaliel Guest

I'm ordering one in about 3 months when I have money saved up to throw in an iPod >=] not sure which model im going to go for.. the superdrive really isn't that fast and dvd disks are expensive, and dont think 100mhz increase is gonna make much of a difference. prolly wont even watching dvds on the thing at all! heh I think I'll wait and get a firwire 4x dvd when its out.. and dvds are atmost $2 each (Ahh, another 20GB hd would be nice though.. since you PROBABLY can't just throw a 3.5" drive in.. anyone know if its possible too?? aside from firewire..)

5. samy85114 macrumors regular

I,m actually looking for it too, except that I don't know what to do now... What's the brightest move??? Well, i mean this iMac is so great, but on the other side, I was waiting for a New G5 for so much time... So is it smarter to wait until the next keynote or just go away and buy it...
    I will think about it in the next days... And it,s so affordable too...compare to the tower, there,S a big difference!

I'm so wondering right now! :)

Someone here got a advice for me ????

6. ormerlin thread starter macrumors newbie

Same Situation

Samy, I am in the same situation you are in. I was waiting to see what new towers Apple was going to announce, and we didn't get anything. This is why I am seriously looking at a new iMac. At $1800, the new iMac will do everything I need it to do, and also take up a very small amount of space on my desk.

I don't think I am going to hold my breath waiting for the new G4/G5 tower from Apple. This may be a good or bad move, but I have to look at what I need right now. I think the real question is...will the new iMac do everything you need it to do? If so, I would say buy it. You can never have the newest computer, because it will be outdated in a month anyway.

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

What is your application?

The thing to remember about waiting is: there will always be something new. If you don't need multiple drive bays, monitors or PCI cards, get an iMac. I guarantee you won't know the difference unless you use something really intense that's G5 optimized (not freakin likeley). If you want more storage, F/W HD's are cheap and provide portable storage and transferrable backup. If you need more than a 17" CRT equivalent then get a Year-Old G4 with the 100Mhz bus off Ebay.

8. syoung6164 macrumors newbie

A different Reaction to the iMac

I have to say i agree with many on this topic.While it would have been great,no...fantastic to see a G5 tower in reality it is not all that disappointing considering,me personally,will probably never need that much power anyway.But i don't deny it would have been cool.

9. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Just back from MacWorld

The iMac has to be seen - touched - played with to completely appreciate it's design. There are a lot of negative reactions here about iMac's design, but go to MacWorld and take a look at it in person. You'll see.

And notice the reactions of those around you. No negativity there... just "lust."

10. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

DUDE
    I CONVINCED MY MATE
    LONG TIME WINDOWS USER
    TO STEP AWAY FROM THE DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE AND HE'S GOING TO BUY THE NEW iMAC WHEN IT COMES OUT

I HAVE SHOW ALL MY FRIENDS THE NEW iMAC
    SO THEY CONVERT

11. samy85114 macrumors regular

Thank you all for your advice, I will think about it, does the iMac can execute all the things I need...
    but, however, there's something i'm wondering, is that thing is powerful enough for me? I,m pretty sure i'm gonna wait... I know, as you said, there will always be something new.. but it,S just a 2 month of waiting, it,S not that long... then... i'll be up to date for a while...

But you know, we are all so excited by this little computer.
    so I cannot even make the right decision yet. ....( actually we call this in marketing, temporary brainwash.... ) whatever :)

hey OMERLIN, you guessed it, ( my name ) ???? :)

12. ormerlin thread starter macrumors newbie

You have a good point about waiting 2 months. I can live with my PowerBook another 2 months to see what happens. I guess the the real question is...will something come out in 2 months? I think I just have too many things running around in my head right now to figure out! :)

Samy, what was the "hey OMERLIN, you guessed it, (my name) ????? :)" line all about? :)

13. samy85114 macrumors regular

That was all about my name, i was just kiddin... anyway :)

ANd what about you, Have you decided to buy it, or just wait for the latest in March ( hey... do you know when the next keynote will be present? I guess, in March but i'm not sure at all.I don't remember when it takes place..and where too).

( It,s not that hard to know my name, actually, just by looking to my nickname, i'm not imaginative, as you can see.
    But the iMac designer... of course he is!

14. ormerlin thread starter macrumors newbie

I realized the part about your name, right after I posted that message. I think I just have too many things going on in my head right now about purchasing a new Mac to figure anything else out right now! :)

I haven't decided quite yet. I would like to get a G5, or even a faster G4 tower. The problem is, IF they come out soon (I think that is a really big question at this point) they will be more expensive than the iMac. By the time you add a nice LCD monitor to the price of the tower, you are looking at quite a bit more money. Ok, this is all beginning to drive me crazy! :)

I believe the next keynote is in March, at MacWorld Tokyo. Who knows? Maybe Apple will have a special event, none of us really know until it happens.

15. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Cube Vs new iMac

Does any body realize that the nwe iMac is a bit more powerfull than the Cube and for the same price includes a monitor?

That is right, when the Cube came out it cost about the same... but without a monitor. But the towers cost the same in relation.

I may say we are gettin more for the money this time and the Cube was a froud at first.

Even the new iMac has the power suply inside, adding a lot of cables (like a PC), the new iMac doesn't have that problem and that is good, just the cables you want to add.

I like the new imac, sadly Apple still under the 1Ghz speed, I wonder for how long.

16. samy85114 macrumors regular

I want to see my G5 soon!

I,M reading at something that is pretty interessting on Spymac.com... ( I know, they could just lie to us)
    They are talking about a speech made by someone at Apple Sweden... probably, you have already read it. But is that true? Hoe could I be sure? just logic... it,S the time for new powermac. This iMac is at the same level ( that the tower) you can earn it for less and also includes a superb LCD screen...

So next one .... Say hello to G5!

( i,M so tired, i'm going crazy :)

17. samy85114 macrumors regular

Yeah, i agree, they still under 1GHz, could be great telling to your buddy : " hey look at this, i've got a mac, a powerMac G5 1.6Ghz... it sounds great " gigahertz"
    just say it... you,ll see it looks more powerful !

Now shower time !

18. tmx590 macrumors newbie

My little opus:

I think that in general, from all the posts that I've read on this site, people aren't really giving Jobs and Apple the credit that they deserve. Take a break for a minute and think about what it is that Apple is doing as a company...what no other company is doing or can do... They make everything...the os, some of the best software for that os, the hardware that it all runs on AND it's own retail chain to sell it. Just think about that for a minute... it is truly amazing - even more so because they do it all so well.

Now think about Monday's announcements...most notably, the iMac. And think about where you can see this new iMac right now...Where? In every grocery store checkout lane and corner news stand in this country on the cover of one of the most prominent & respected news mags in the civilized world. No one, in any of these posts, as far as I know, has mentioned even a passing whisper of this incredible fact. I have a feeling that we are going to see a very different awareness of Apple in the months to come. And I believe that Monday was only a wind-up pitch for Jobs relative to the products that he has in store for us over the next 12 months.

So, forget about your temporary letdown from a marketing blitz (that may yet prove to be more valid than your initial thoughts) and instead, focus on all the reasons why we are so vehemently dedicated to this unique company.

19. samy85114 macrumors regular

I know !

I realized it long time ago, this company is actually the first to produce all ( almost ... processor... but you know what i mean) the product they are selling....
    Just about the Apple CEO, he's a pretty good marketeer, his decisions are always right on the money. He got it! He was back in this company at a very important moment ( when they had some difficulties) he's the guy who saved Apple.
    And actually, the company does a great job, they are so innovative. Each time apple release something, you could be sure, this gonna be great... even awesome, and most of the time, it,S so useful too. Look at iPhoto of iTunes, do you know others softwares who could actually execute the same stuff as those Apple-made softwares do? well if it,S the case, I don't know them and want to try them right away.

To conclude:
    That's why i'm so addicted ( joke ) to this company :)

20. tmx590 macrumors newbie

re: I know!

Actually, samy85114, there has been shareware on the market that does what iTunes & iPhoto do for quite some time. But the thrust of what Apple is trying to say is: "You don't have to go searching around the internet for this stuff that might or might not work with your computer and your mp3 player or camera... we're giving it to you in the OS...for FREE...and it works NO MATTER WHAT DEVICE IT IS...AND you don't have to know jack-sh*t about what you're doing...we've taken care of you, GrandMa..."

Right or wrong... that's what Apple is doing.. get it?

21. ormerlin thread starter macrumors newbie

I personally find Windows users jealous of products such as iTunes. I get things such as, "Why doesn't Wimamp do that?". I think the great thing about the software apps from Apple is they are very simple, and work very well. They make things easy that others seem to make hard. I have over 3000 MP3 files in iTunes, and I cannot imagine trying to find a song in any other music app. Even though Apple makes their "i" software so even novice users can understand it, they also make it useful enough for users that know what they are doing.

22. bassist macrumors newbie

new iMac

In august of 2000 I joined the "bleeding edge" of technology by buying the then top of the line Dual 500 G4. I was disheartened the following January 2001 when Apple brought out the Titanium powerbooks at 500mhz as I could have had a laptop for the same price. Most of the software did not take advantage of the second processor in the dual G4 so there was no real speed advantage over the laptop. So last year I was ready to abandon Apple completely, I even built a PC "from scratch" (and mainly to play games with windows users) for $700 worth of parts at Frys that blows the $3500 Dual 500 G4 away! (exept for programs that use the second processor)
    But just one look at the new iMac and oh la la! No tower on the floor, no monitor to buy etc. All the power and hardware to do what I need in one device! Well maybe a little more speed...