Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Whats the point if you have to have a cable subscription anyway? So you pay for cable and watch the channel on another box and just don't use the cable box?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
what happened to that The CW app that has been "announced" last year btw

Whats the point if you have to have a cable subscription anyway? So you pay for cable and watch the channel on another box and just don't use the cable box?

i dont get it either lol maybe if u want to share it on another tv in the house is my guess

Another step toward no cable tv and Internet tv instead.

not really you still need an cable subscription to sign in to use those apps which makes it quite redundant

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
yay... :(

another thing my cable company does not support support these networks/cable companies will learn like the movie industry did...

i use the smithsonian & PBS apps a lot (free add supported) the others i can't so these networks will win in the end the cable co's will be the ones that loose in the end if they don't adopt this new way of receiving content. whats the point if streaming it if i have it on cable already Duh.....

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
If they could only speed up the interface and navigation....

Although the iOS remote app does help. Whoever designed that tediously thin aluminum remote should be fired.

Still, the history channel can be quite interesting.

I love the thin aluminum remote! It's gorgeous, feels great in the hand and it's a HUGE improvement over those button cluttered plastic bricks from the cable companies!

-LD

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
What good are channels I am entirely unable to watch on Apple TV? If you don't have cable you can't watch any of the new channels. And even if you do have cable, it has to be from certain cable providers (Comcast isn't one of them and controls about 40% of the market).

You can't even pay to subscribe to the channels. So stupid. Apple should tell them to piss off and not let them be on Apple TV unless they offer a way for non-cable subscribers to be watch.

I don't need a way to watch cable TV. We've had ways to do that for decades. What I need is a way to NOT watch cable TV.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

you can watch old shows that aren't on on demand anymore since that only has the last few episodes

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
Boo. I cut the cord years ago. Hate this stupid "TV Everywhere" model tied to cable subscriptions. It's a dying model. Like that RedBox company that rents DVDs at grocery store checkouts. But it's not at all surprising at all. When I saw the headline I knew it would be a cable thing. No worries. I'm still saving almost a grand a year even after buying a few season passes on iTunes for my favourite specialty cable shows like Walking Dead, Gold Rush, etc.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Apple turned a hobby into a joke, another front end to OLD Big-Telco's monopolistic overpriced subscription model, which I guess fits nicely in with Apple's greedy fascist tendencies.

I guess Cable lobbyists are way more powerful then Apple's ability to innovate and create a product that might allow use to cut the cord.

Big Telco owns both the monopoly and the broadband pipe through which any competitive (old model disrupting) offerings must flow. The solution is not in a piece of hobby hardware or even negotiating amazing (huge discount) deals with Studios so that Apple can add in it's 30% cut, we get everything we want dirt cheap and those very same Studios take the hit to make both happen; the solution requires some way to get around the "who's owns the broadband pipes?" problem.

"We" keep thinking the problem is deal-making but even if the Studios would give Apple all of their content for free, the middle man between that content in iCloud and us is the broadband provider. Those hungry for deep discount everything al-a-carte need to look for a solution to THAT problem, because while THAT still separates us from iCloud, there's no way those middlemen will allow an Apple or similar to take their revenue stream.

The new model dream will involve us having to pay more- not less- so that all of the other players can be enticed into embracing a new model AND Apple can glom on for it's cut too. Any model where we pay less-to-much-less can't be very interesting to the other players in the chain. Why embrace such a change if the result will be making less money?

And who would take that hit? Apple is wanting to glom on so they ADD to the cost. Broadband (who sells us cable too) have zero desire to lose their cable subscription revenue; if they do somehow, they'll just make up for those revenues with higher broadband costs. "We" believe we should be getting everything we want for nearly nothing. So who's left? If the Studios that make the stuff have to swallow the big loss, why do they keep making the stuff? How do they keep making the stuff? Where does their revenue growth come from to go toward improving the existing quality and taking the big gambles on brand new stuff that might become our favorites in the future?

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It is really getting time for a new UI ... getting way to cluttered and not well integrated.

could not agree more. Thank god I have a bluetooth keyboard. The letter by letter entry to search is beyond outdated.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Exactly. Some of the apps allow access to a huge amount of historical content. On HBO GO, for example, I can watch pretty much any episode of any HBO show produced in the past 10+ years.

This. Now Disney and DirecTV need to get in a room and hammer out a deal for WatchESPN. It's ridiculous that Dish subscribers have access but DirecTV subscribers don't. :rolleyes:

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
The model is what it is, and will take time to alter. Putting the infrastructure in place to potentially allow ala carte programming is a good thing. Yes, for now, it's tied to your cable provider, but over time, it's possible that some or all may go with independent subscriptions, depending on contract terms with the cable/satellite companies.

The more channels Apple add, the more I think you're correct in this assumption. It might take a few more years, but Apple is getting customers thinking in terms of apps/icons instead of channels.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Why do people accept the term "channel?" They are apps.

The ATV interface is just a bunch of app icons.

When I can go to the CNN "channel" and be immediately taken to live news (if you can call it news) then I will call it a channel. If I have to navigate to a live news button, pray that the link to my actual cable/sat subscription "allows" me to watch CNN (in all its ad splendor), then finally watch a live stream I will call it a channel. Until then it is just an app.

Michael

Cancelled
Feb 27, 2014
No Pictures with Icons and Unlabeled

I just set up my AppleTV 3 to access the A&E, History, etc. Unfortunately, there are no pictures associated with the icons for the various shows. Also, there are no labels until I hover over the blank squares representing where the icons should be. For example, for The History Channel's Pawn Stars, I have to locate the cursor on each icon to find the show. The icon is blank and the label for PawnStars does not show up until I place the cursor not the blank icon.

How do I get the icons and labels to show up without hovering?

Cheers,

Don Barar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.