A F1 race in NYC?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Don't panic, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

What? the streets around here are terrible! this is not Monaco. that is so unrealistic. In Venezuela we have better streets to do that than here. It will require a huge amount of money to flat the route to the level a F1 car can reach to the require speed. I do not see that happening.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Like many NYC sporting events, it would have to happen in New Jersey. :D The roads are much, much better there. If they had it in the city, they'd have far too many repairs.

4. wymer100 macrumors member

The track at Indy is really awesome. I've been there for the USGP and Indy 500. (I couldn't go to either this year because we just had kids.) Anyway, the USGP at Indy really seems to work well. It's really amazing to see the cars go flying down the main straight to about 200mph (~300kph) and brake to ~60mph for a sharp right-hander. With the huge crowds and mystique at Indy, there really isn't going to be a better home than Indy.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Ummm.... they could make them F1 friendly... Do you think the streets of Monaco were always suitable for F1 cars?

The income generated by a successful F1 race would far out weight the initial, and follow-up, costs of making the streets race worthy.

Obvioulsy Ecclestone thinks the idea is plausible enough to start talking about it, but what does he know...

Lethal

EDIT: also, Ecclestone could be looking for a new location for the USGP. Unless things have made a big turn around I know he didn't used to be too happy w/Tony George (who owns the Indianapolis Motor Speedway).

6. iccy82 macrumors newbie

iccy82

straight through trump tower, into times square and over broadway...

pit stop is in the ed sullivan theatre

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

err, nope! :p

Anyways, that was a crazy race. only 9 finishing, with Zsolt getting a point! :eek: Too bad about JPM (I can't believe I'm saying that). The FIA didn't really treat Williams too well today. Ralf was stationary for quite a while before someone was there at his side, and letting JPM go for almost 60 laps before giving him a black flag on something that happened before the start, sheesh.

At least I managed to keep 15th in my fantasy league.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Like I said, things might have changed over the past few years, but it will be interesting to see if Indy stays on the map if a 2nd F1 race (either in NYC or back in Long Beach) is successful.

Lethal

9. iGav macrumors G3

It could happened, and I think they could easily pull it off smack in the centre of Manhattan... (after all, Monte Carlo is much tighter) the question is though would it provide a cracking race??

I would've thought that having a race on the West Coast was more important, I'd love to see an F1 race at Laguna Seca, but that in itself would require millions spent on it to bring it up to a standard even approaching what F1 is accustomed to.

Either way, F1 needs another U.S. GP to begin to even establish itself, more importantly though we need a well recognised U.S. driver to race, and hope he's competitive... otherwise the U.S. public will never take to F1 until they have a 'hero' they can begin to even follow and respect.

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

11. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

even better if he raced for an american team, then people would start really following. how hard would it be for a top indy team to transition? what are the budget differentials?

12. iGav macrumors G3

BAR are as about American as they come, even though Jaguar are technically American financed.

The 2 open wheel series are totally different, in EVERY aspect... and there's no way either a CART or IRL team could just transfer race series. The only hope would be for the possible new rules that MIGHT come into force in either 2006 or 2008 that permits teams to buy a chassis from a top team, even then, that chassis is a previous season one, and still likely to be atleast a second a lap slower.

As for budgets... for a top flight F1 team... well one should consider that teams such as Ferrari, Toyota, Williams and McLaren are all ATLEAST in the $200 Million a year budget, and some rumours put Ferrari and Toyota nearer $400 Million.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

A recent issue of F1 Racing pegged Toyota and Ferrari around $450 million, except with Ferrari spending less than last year.

I'd like to see GM in F1, we've already got Daimler-Chrysler (Mercedes) and Ford (Jaguar, engines for Jordan and Minardi), so how about we get a Chevy or Opel F1 team going eh? :D

14. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    I know it'll never happen, but i'd love to see those F1 cars do a route from Dodger Stadium, then north on the 110 to the end (Art Center's South Campus in Pasadena) then back down the 110, to the I-5 North, exiting on Stadium, back under the freeway, go back to I-5 south, then back onto the 110 South to start/finish. :)

15. iGav macrumors G3

It's a toughie to gauge... I know all the teams were hit badly during the last 6 months because of the $ in freefall in comparison to other currencies, and as the team budgets are based in U.S. $ then they've taken a mighty hit.

Had they have had their budgets in £, earlier this year their budgets would have almost doubled in comparison and would be atleast 1.8 times higher now. :p

I'm in no doubt though that Toyota have the biggest budget. They just don't know what to do with it. Mike Gascoyne should fix that though. :p

16. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I thought the IRL was supposed to be a lower cost alternative to CART (now Champ Car). I think they would freak out at $2000 brake pads.

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

1 set of break discs is about 4.500 €
    1 set of break pads 2.400 €

a team use 200 break discs and twice as much break pads a year.....

2 Million € only on breaks (i guess the whole breaking system comes easily up to 3-4 million €)
    3 milion € ..thats about 10 engines without fuel tank, without transmission, without exhaust-pipes,without electronic (10 engines perhaps 3 racing weekends)

one car easily gets up to a 800.000+ price as a package (only with parts...)

mclaren mercedes already used 33-35 100.000-150.000 € transmissions this year

edit: minardi has _only_ a budget about 50+ million €
    ferrari spends 150 € on engines alone.....

18. maat macrumors newbie

anyone who thinks they could make any stretch of any road in NYC suitable for F1 racing is out of their minds and has never stepped foot in this city. and I just don't see the people in my neighborhood being all to happy about footing the bill to make a nice smooth road on the the Upper west/east side (where they would most likely want this type of thing to happen)

so.... nope.

19. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

them thrifty italians... pretty decent job on such a small budget ;)

20. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

actually I think they would possibly MAKE a lot of money out of it. A major concern would be traffic.

but assuming they were really going to do it at no cost for the city, which route would it be? all 90 degrees corners? anobody cares to guess?

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

arghh i meant millions.... stupid me...i should re-read before posting
    but i think everybody knew what i meant ;)
    the wooden plate under the car is 800+ € alone...150 € is perhaps their budget on car cleaning agent per weekend (for one car of course ;) )

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

how many 'duct covers' (web translation) are there in downtown new york ?
    driving over them is too dangerous for formula 1 cars because the high pressure under the car can lift them

a Le Mans car can lift a 50 kg 'duct cover' at speeds below 300km/h...i guess it is similiar to formula 1 cars (you know at speeds higher than 250 km/h they could theoretically drive upside down on a track)

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Heh, there's also an article on brakes in the same issue (April '04), specifically Ferrari and Brembo, but still. Costs given as:
    Complete system: $40,000/car
    Replacement pads/discs: $10,000/set (8 pads 4 discs)

Calipers last about one season for the top teams, even longer for the bottom *cough*Minardi*cough*.
    Pads and discs last about 450 miles, or 4 minutes (cumulative) of use.

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Not even that fast anymore. They could do it at 70 mph with full downforce. (Would you believe that's another article in the same issue on this too? :D)

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i wasn't sure ;)

haha i really feel sorry for minardi ..the only team where drivers pay money for driving and repairing chassis parts is common practice.... i guess ferarri spends more on catering/food than minardi on their engines :D