Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverback66

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
CO
I'm trying to make a DVD copy of the film I'm working on and I was wondering if I export it as a non-self contained movie will I still get full resolution when I put it into iDVD or DVD Studio Pro? Thanks!

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
No. If you make it non self-contained, it'll be in the MPEG2 that's not compatible with DVD SP or iDVD.

I haven't tried it but for import into DVDSP, you will need to separate the DVD MPEG2 into elementary streams with an accompanying AIFF PCM or AC3 audio file.

You can try DEC2AC3 and MpegStreamClip to handle conversion.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
The best possible quality you can hope for in MPEG2 is to use a codec that allows multiple pass variable bitrate encoding.

Quicktime's MPEG2 codec does a very creditable 2-pass VBR option that turns up hi quality DVD images from DV stream source.

As lacero notes, you will need to export the video and audio separately, and the audio must be at 48Khz.

DVDSP 3 onwards will do the encoding for you if you import DV stream footage, but it still uses the QT codec and I'd rather see whats going on as the process continues.

Is there a particular reason you wish to use non-self contained? DVDSP will always need the MPEG2 code no matter what the front end codec is, transcoding from the source directly to MPEG is the cleanest way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.