A feature list for OSX 10.4...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by movabi, Jan 7, 2004.

1. movabi macrumors member

I think it would be nice to have a forum for feature requests for upcoming versions of OSX. I enjoy seeing what people would like out of their operating system. Maybe by posting them early, Apple may actually implement them.:)

2. movabi thread starter macrumors member

a few of my wishes

here is my list...

1... Dock improvements including springloaded folders, more placement options, a way to set up and customize the dock
    2... tabbed finder windows
    3... faster finder
    4... theme support and other controls over the system appearance (fonts, font size, shadows)

3. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I'll agree on the dock improvements, especially customization and placement. And also on themes/appearance. One of the most harmless things to do would be to just be able to change the colors of the different UI elements, which is so trivial in Windows that I was surprised not to find it in OS X. While I agree that some of the old Kaliedoscope themes made a Mac almost unrecognizable as a Mac, and that Apple wants to keep a more consistent look-and-feel for OS X, I don't think that being able to change fonts and colors would damage their branding THAT much.

(really, all I want to do is turn Aqua purple....is that too much to ask?)

4. JackRipper macrumors regular

I've got a few...

1) Smart column view - When a folder is clicked and it's contents displayed in the next column I would like that column expanded so that the full file / folder name may be displayed instead of either guessing what "The...ion" is or expanding it myself. Seems to me that if the Finder is smart enough to know that the column is too small to fit the text that is should be able to resize accordingly.

2) Remove non-stretched resolutions from the monitors pane. What are these good for??? Some games switch the resolution automatically and they always pick the non-stretched ones. This one's becomming a big peeve for me.

3) Live file / folder updates in Finder!!! Sometimes I have to close a folder and reopen to see a newly added file, WTF??!

4) Allow column resizing in Open / Save dialog windows. Mildly annoying.... or maybe they could make it smart ( as in point 1 )

I think that's it for now, I'm an OS X nooB. Just in case someone is wondering, yes I'm using 10.3.2 .

5. movabi thread starter macrumors member

playing around with fonts...

made me remember how fontbook could offer a few more options for showing a font before you add it. Like being able to type different character sets and set custom texts to get a feel of a font.

6. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

Tabbed finder windows... yes, but spring-loaded tabs so that drag and drop would be workable.

Purple Aqua... yes!!!

Smart column view ....yes! Also how annoying is it that it won't remember the column widths you set for each folder? Aaaargh.

Define your own function keys.

The Void

7. movabi thread starter macrumors member

F keys..

is there a way to map function keys using shareware?

8. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

perhaps ultra-fast boot times on hard restart a la` os9,1. this would take away one of the last planks that supports that dying breed.

9. Edot macrumors 6502

Mapping Keys

I am not sure what you mean by mapping keys, but in the keyboard/mouse system prefs in Panther you can map keys to any menu item in any app you want to. I don't know why the F-keys would be any exception.

10. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

11. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i'm going to second (third? fourth?) tabs in the finder windows with springloading.

also with tabs, i would love to see them be able to be rearranged a la adium 2. be able to move them around in one window, drag them out to create new windows, and drag them from one window to another.

listing in the finder of your path just under the normal buttons a la pathfinder

system lock down similar to XP Pro. in some settings, the administrator can allow CTRL+ALT+DEL to give a menu, by clicking "system lock" or hitting Enter, the system can be locked down with having just a small login window. no other user can log in other than the one who locked it.

switch user without losing network connections or apps stopping their tasks because another user starts using the same app. mostly the network connection bothers me the most. in the first few developer seeds of 10.3 the network connections were not disabled when using fast user switching... it was nice.

allow apps to not show up in the dock if the user does not want them to, but leave the apps menubar functioning.

12. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

Cutting Files

The "cut" function should be enabled for files, not only for text...

It would be much easier to move files, if u could "cut" and "paste" them.

I would suggest that after u have "cut" a file, it should be moved to the desktop, until u "paste" it to another folder. So it wouldn´t be possible to "lose" data. :D

Dave out.

13. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

1. Yes, tabs in the finder windows with springloading would be cool, and a step ahead of the other OS's.

2. A portion of the sidebar should have it's own folder properties. A place to put stuff (not simply the alias) when you tunnel around from directory to directory.

3. Side bar should have an option for text only.... and a global pref for hide tool bar in all finder windows is needed.

14. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Improvements to the Finder.
    There's no reason why it should not be easier to make shortcuts on the desktop or send files as email directly from Finder Windows.
    Windows has had this feature since Win98.
    An optional QE 3D navigation system similar to Panther user switching would be a neat feature.

More configurable Dock.
    "Dragthing" is much more flexible than the OSX dock, and something like it should have been integrated long ago.
    As it is now, utilities like Dragthing seem sort of redundant with the dock hiding in the background.

Get rid of the Jaguar stripes from the menubar.

Better window scaling performance.
    This is probably the most glaring problem in Panther.
    QE works very smoothly for other functions, so I imagine why it could not be utilized for this purpose as well.

Drop-down calendar or integration with iCal from the menubar clock.
    (iCal could simply have a scaled-down menubar calendar function linked with your iCal profile)
    Redhat Linux has a nice implementation of this concept.

More Apple desktop patterns and screensavers.

Sidebars in Safari, similar to those IE.

Window focus.
    Moving the cursor over a window should bring the window to the foreground without having to click.

15. mms macrumors 6502a

What about letting users choose between pinstripes and metal in the Finder preferences? So many windows are turning into metal and it annoys me because I liked pinstripes better. Users should be able to choose the appearance.

16. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Features i'd love to see
    Piles
    more customization in the menubar
    more customization in apps like ichat similar to adium 2
    more features in isync ... more phones
    more OS ipod integration/features

faster iapps was here but hopefully that will be solved

things that are overrated / dumb to me / not worth dev time:
    springloaded folders
    themes
    Finder is a good speed for me now wasn't in jaguar
    Restart times - much better than jaguar - still some room for imrpovement but shouldn't be a focus

17. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

Purple?

Purple aqua? So i supose you wear tons of vibrant make-up and are going to get a pink iPod mini?:D

Sorry, just that I think a purple-aqua interface would be bad. For marketing, and wouldn't look as good. Want it that bad? Do it yourself!:D

18. Karlchen macrumors member

Hithere...

Some features of the shareware "Default Folder" would be the thing...

Click on an open folder on the desktop when saving a file... and have that folder open in the save dialog.

just my 5 cents...

19. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Cocoa Finder
    fax that works properly
    dial up connecting reliability as good as Jag was/is.
    patterns/tiling for window backgrounds

20. iJed macrumors 6502

I'd like to see the return of the good old Apple Menu and the addition of smart folders which could be implemented in the finder sidebar or as fake folders. I would also love to see the end of menu blinking or at least make it work properly.

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

1. Less Bugs
    2. Less Bugs
    3. Less Bugs
    10. Less Bugs

y'all see where I'm going with this ;).

scem0

22. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Re: I've got a few...

Stretched screen resolutions are necessary and very convenient. To the average joe user like yourself, your right, they serve no purpose. But if you are doing video out from your screen to a television, then they come in handy. Otherwise you may end up with bad proportions.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I can tell you now that it won't happen. One of the the major points of Safari is that the browser takes up less of the window so that more space is available for the page.
    So whenever the mouse moves, my windows rise underneath? I think that would make me sick...

24. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Firewire improvements!!!!!

I want to see a better implementation of Firewire!!! I'd like to see FW be trully hotswappable. My firewire devices freak out every time I plug in or disconnect my iPod plus I can't use a FW hard disk while my Canon Elura is plugged in.

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Okay, my requested feature is a new killer app: iSex. Performs a variety of sexual favors on request!