A few app problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bloodycape, Jul 4, 2006.

1. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Seems like I am having some app issues. Firefox would not open at all but Safari is fine which is odd. Firefox was working fine till I turned offed my comp and restarted the comp which it stopped working. It will give one bounce and then do nothing. I uninstalled firefox, and then reinstalled it. Nothing at all.

The other problem i have is I tried to unistall then reinstall final cut express. I deleted all the files like I am suppose to. But everytime I try to reinstall it, it shows me that it will be upgraded. So I found more files to delete like extras and tutorials. So the same upgrade option showed up. So I tried it and it turns out I can reinstall it. It works for a while and looks like it is about to install but then it fails. So what can I do to fix this?

Thank you.

2. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

Additionally I am not able to delete some help files and pdf files pertaining to final cut express.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Open a new user account and see if the problems carry over. Also, do you have at least 8GB of free space available on your hard disk? Do you have third party RAM? Maybe try verifying your disk in Disk Utility too. :)

4. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

I have 48gigs free and I do not have third party ram. I logged into the root account and deleted those files however I was not able to reinstall Final Cut Express or get Firefox to load. Thank you.

5. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

Permission is repaired and FCE was installed with out a problem. However it will not open at all. Now all I need to do is get firefox to work and I am set thank you.

BTW how does one fully uninstall firefox and fce?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The only things Firefox should leave behind, in addition to the .app package itself, should be in...

~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/

You can trash this whole folder if you want. It contains user caches, bookmarks, etc.

7. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

I am under the assumption that all my ppc apps are not working seeing as the version of FCE i have is 3.0, firefox is a beta version, then there is divx and open office which are also not working. Someting could be wrong woth rosettea?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Rosetta has its limitations and I could be wrong but I don't think it'll let you install FCE 3.0. I don't have an Intel Mac or FCE to test this though. Does Firefox 1.5.0.4 install properly?

You've repaired permissions but try verifying the disk in Disk Utility now. See if it returns any errors. :)