Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TexBiker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2006
I've had my new iMac up and running for 4 days now and I'm very impressed. The last Apple computer I had owned was a IIc that my parents bought me in 1986 and I've been using Wintels since 1990, so I'm a complete noob when it comes to Macs and OS X.

Overall, I'm very happy with the system. It's a 20" / 2.0ghz / 250GB / 2GB RAM / 256MB video iMac. The clarity and brightness of the screen is amazing. I also have the bluetooth kb/mouse and it really makes my desktop look very clean.

It took a little while to transfer all my movies, music and docs from my old PC, along with my browser and email info. I wasn't too impressed with Safari, but I've been using Firefox for a couple of years now so it's probably just a matter of personal preference. I've been using Thunderbird, but the Mac client is good enough for me and it was simple to import my mailbox info.

I installed bootcamp and Win XP Pro this morning and it runs great. I needed XP since OS X doesn't support my financial software and I like having both platforms available...just in case I find other software that won't run on OS X in the future.

I do have one complaint, although it's not related to the iMac itself. Apple sent all my documentation in Spanish. I called Customer Service and they said they wouldn't send me an English manual, but they have it available for download on Apple.com and I should just print it out [100+ pages]. I told them I'd rather have the compact version that ships with the computer, but the CS rep checked with her supervisor and he told her that they don't ship replacement docs. That irked me, so I went to a local Apple store here in Dallas and they told me the same thing. Seems like it would be a very minor expense for them to drop a user's manual in the mail...especially since it's their mistake, but they don't seem to agree. Luckily, OS X is pretty easy to figure out, even without a manual.

Other than that minor detail, I'm a very happy camper.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Bizarre about the documentation but congrats on your new Mac! Can't wait to get a shiny intel of my very own.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Congrats on your new computer... I'd escalate the issue with the manuals, if you have the patience... I personally prefer digital copies, anyway, but the manuals should have been sent to you in English if that is your primary language (and you didn't ask for anything else) and you live in the US, and ordered the computer off an English-language website. Either that or write / e-mail in to them. That's silly, and that's not a right way to treat someone who bought such an expensive computer, especially considering the minimal cost of making things right for you.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your new Mac TexBiker! :)

As far as your problem with the manual, you could always
learn to read Spanish. ;) :D

TexBiker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2006
dmw007 said:
As far as your problem with the manual, you could always
learn to read Spanish. ;) :D

Sadly, your suggestion is often quicker and more convenient than dealing with corporate customer service departments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.