A few disk copy questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ZildjianKX, Sep 21, 2003.

1. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Hi, I've read their the entire disk copy help to no avail... they seem to want to help you for making a new CD from files, but not from backing one up.

Here is my question...

What is exactly is the difference between the "Compression" option and the "DVD/CD Mastering" option, specifically when you're backing up a CD from device.

I've been able to find after much searching on the internet that DVD/CD Mastering saves it in ISO 9660 format, but what exactly does compression do?

To confuse me even more, I backed up my jaguar discs via compression and burned them.... they worked perfectly for an install.

I was also uncertain about the encryption... does it let you set a password and encrypts the disc?

2. Farside161 macrumors member

disk copy makes disk images (.dmg, .cdr) the AES-128 encription allows you to set a password to the disk image. this password only works on a disk image file, not on a CD you create with a disk image. Compression works in a similar way the image on your hard drive is compressed not the data you burn to a CD or DVD. if you are copying a CD or DVD to later burn again use the CD/DVD mastering option.

3. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Thanks, so compression just copies the files off of a disc, and compresses them in a mountable image?

4. Farside161 macrumors member

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

It makes a CD/DVD Master (read-only) and the compresses the disk image to save space. Works fine, i have all my CD's stored digitally this way.

6. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Ahh, ok... so if I'm making a copy right away, do a DVD/CD mastering...

But if I'm backing up a CD/DVD and plan to burn it later, compression is the way to go? So both end up with the same result, just that the compression... well, compresses it? :)

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That sounds about right. I always use CD/DVD master, but I'm the sort of person who wastes HD space :rolleyes:

8. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Thanks for all your help guys. I guess I'll back up all my future discs with the compression option. :)