A few G5 Questions / Considering Purchase

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BillHarrison, Jun 24, 2004.

1. BillHarrison macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2003
    Hi everyone. I am kinda new to the Mac scene, been enjoying using my Upgraded Beige G3, and I think I am ready to dump My Dual Athlon and get a G5. I have a few questions first though!

Item 1: Is anyone aware of the flashability of PC AGP Radeons in a G5? I have no use for an overpriced Apple Radeon card. I dont need the ADC Connector, and would prefer to get the faster / cheaper PC model, flash her up, and shove her in!

Item 2: Are G5's even remotely Overclockable? I have done some searching online, and have yet to find anyone who has overclocked this machine. Its a year old now, so I would imagine SOMEONE would have to have tinkered with it and given it a go. I can't be the only speed freak here!

Item 3: Is anyone aware of just how a DP G5 2.0 Compares with a DP 3400+ Athlon system? I certainly don't want to take a step down in performance, but I really love OS X, it blows windows out of the water. But I do alot of encoding and heavy processor work. The tools exist for OS X to do what I need to, thats not an issue. The question is, just how does a G5 Duallie compare with an Athlon XP Duallie?

Guess thats about all for now, thanks in advance for any Info!
  2. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Jul 17, 2002
    nar in Gainsborough, me duck
    1/ Sorry haven't got a clue. I know certain PC 8500's can be flashed for Macs, but beyond that...
    2/ why? see links below :)
    3/ G5 vs dual PC's tests
    G5 vs Dual Opteron

like for like tests I suppose....OSX wins hands down for me, rather have that amount of speed in a car with a steering wheel. :D