A few iPod mini questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cleo, Jan 31, 2004.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

As I lay awake at 4 AM this morning (yeah, I don't really know why either) I started pondering the idea of actually buying an iPod mini after I pay off my credit card. My service dog needs at least 3 miles of exercise a day, and brilliant conversationalists that golden retrievers are, sometimes I'd give anything to have my iPod with me. But we haven't come up with any sure-fire way to attach my iPod to my wheelchair, and I don't really have any way to put it in a pocket or something because of my posture, and I can't just hold it in my hand (too many bumps in the sidewalk to risk that). But a mini iPod might just do the trick. I definitely won't be buying until they get any bugs out with the next revision, but I like to plan ahead. :) So I have a few questions for those of you who have either bought one or seen one or are just generally more informed than I. :)

1) Is the (optional) armband removable once you've put it on? (I'm thinking I could just slip it on my wrist, but I wouldn't want the armband to be a permanent thing.)

2) OK, so say you have a regular iPod and a mini. Can iTunes tell the difference when you're updating? (like I have everything on my regular one, but would only have certain smart playlists on the mini.)

3) Could you keep both iPods connected to to computer at the same time with a Firewire hub?

4) Are the dock connectors the same size? (I know it has a different dock, but I'm asking in terms of accessories that plug into the connector... even though I doubt I'd ever do that... just curious about the design.)

5) So if you have one, how is it? Do you consider it a good buy?

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I don't think you're going to get answers right now. The iPod mini hasn't even shipped yet, so no one really knows. I have played with one though, and I can tell you they are very nice.

3. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Where were you able to find one to play with? I went to the SOHO store last week, and there wasnt a single one is sight.....posters.......that was it....*tear*

4. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

1. A Apple rep told me the armband can be removed and re-attached. I had the same question.

2. I would think they would because SJ said it himself that folks that buy the iPod mini will probably already own a reg. iPod.

3. I have no idea.

4. I believe the actual metal connector is the same size but the slot is smaller to fit the iPod mini.

5. Don't have one yet..but I do plan on owning one this coming May or sometime this Summer.

5. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I'm pretty sure it can differentiate different iPods. I've connected two normal iPods and obviously they got different names so they show up differently if that's what you mean..

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I went to Macworld Expo! :D