A few mac questions from a new mac user

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EvryDayImShufln, Oct 9, 2006.

1. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Hey I got my macbookpro a little over a week ago, and I'm wondering still as to how OS X works as opposed to windows. Here are a few of my questions:

1. I was burning a data CD the other day and it failed. This has never happened to me before, I'm wondering is this a frequent thing with OS X or was I just unlucky?

2. Is there any way to cut files other than to drag them?

3. How the hell does the light up keyboard work?? Lol honestly it still confuses me to this day. I want the relative brightness to go down, since when its on fully its too bright, but it seems to just stick with what I inputted, up until next time when it will adjust itself to whatever it wants.

4. Which is the best msn? :p

So far my experience is very good, I like the layout and the simplicity of many programs in the OS.

2. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Most likely just bad luck.

I've burned literally stacks of CDs and DVDs and I've maybe once gotten a coaster. There's a small chance there's something wrong with the hardware (bum optical drive) if it keeps happening, but most often failures are caused by bad discs, not the OS or the drive. Are you using decent media, or a no-name brand?

What do you mean "cut" files? If you mean do a cut command on a file and then paste it elsewhere and have the original disappear, no--that's an interface decision that Apple made a LONG time ago. You can copy and paste files, however.

As far as I've noticed, you basically set the "max" brightness when it's on, but it adjusts up and down based on the amount of ambient light. if you want to set it manually, there's a shareware app, I believe.

I assume you mean best chat app compatible with MSN. There are piles, but no idea on that one so I'll let somebody else answer--I prefer iChat myself (ideally with Jabber).

4. furious macrumors 65816

furious

adium is the best messenger client. i never used it myself but it gets recommended a lot around here.

5. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Yeah and it's a bad interface decision IMHO. I hate having to line up my Finder windows and drag stuff around instead of just doing a cut and paste...

6. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Try slowing down the burning speed a little bit. I find that my Mac can produce failed DVDs at 8 speed, whereas my PC burns the same DVDs at 8 speed without problems. To resolve the issue I've had to lower the speed on my Mac to 4 speed.

7. Elrond39 macrumors 6502

It most definitely is.

8. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Just drag the file to the desktop, navigate to the destination folder and drag from the desktop. Hold the Alt key down to change between copy or move. Just as easy as cut/paste IMHO.

9. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

You can also use Expose whilst dragging something....Either the button or a hot corner. It works great!

10. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

yeah... I miss it too sometimes but then other times I do not miss it at all!! :D it depends wether I have my mouse just next to me or if I'm using the touch pad... :)

11. PillarFan1 macrumors member

3. you can use Lab Tick to manually adjust the keyboard light

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/labtick.html

i just got my MBP on Monday and I love it. I've been watching the forums for a couple months holding off for the new MBP, but i couldnt wait anymore and finally got one and i love it. thanks to everyone who has helped me but doesnt know it :)